hints and tips?

so, just wondering... anyone got any really good hints, tips, old secret rememdies etc etc to being able to play high notes, loud for a long time??
Anything at all?
I can do it for so long and then my lip just goes... i play 4 times a week so its not like i don't play enough..

So, you really amazing players that can do it... do you know a secret that i dont?
Like drinking herbal tea upside down or something... ( i can dream its that easy right!!) :)

GJG

Boomchickaboom said:
i play 4 times a week so its not like i don't play enough..

Whilst I'm sure there are probably exceptions to the rule, I imagine that the most successful players do considerably more than that............

G.

TuTuKu

I have been having the same problem, it's getting better though!

Based on personal experiance, I found that playing familiar meoldies, an octave higher helps, or transposing them so they reach a register you're not so comfortable with, Then you don't have such a problem knowing where the notes are, and can just concentrate on producing them. Also you need plenty of air supporting the notes. And i hate to say it, but scales do help :shock: particularily slurring up to the high register

Although it's not a magical overnight cure (i wish there was one - please enlighten me if there is) I've found it helps!

TuTuKu Xx

Dave Payn

I'm sure that if I had that ability, I'd think differently, but far better to go for a nice sound in a range that's comfortable for you than just playing loud and high (which is what you seem to imply) which is useful if you want to play either (a) sop or (b) lead trumpet in a London theatre show or (c) attract a considerable canine following whether you want it or not.

Says Dave, a failed sop player! ;-)

drummerboy

Agree with the others. The right practise every day. You need to do things like loads of lip flexibility exercises, transposing things higher and higher etc etc. It's also important that you have the right air support, and play the instrument properly. You'll not be able to sustain the high notes if you don't play it properly.
Sounds stupid, but it takes time to do it properly (getting high notes that is).

i have to admit i have that same problem, once i go much beyond a Top Eb i can't get any volume into the note or sustain it for any length of time. And i will do several hours practise a day. Although I'm a firm believer that practise makes perfect, only 3 months ago i struggled to play the Eb, yet now i'm playing all sorts of notes far beyond that, and the Eb comes through fine, so best advice is just keep at it, it'll come when its ready to!

Vickitorious

I practise everyday without fail! lol! just 5 mins on register practise a day should help, not much more than that, because it does your lips in.

My teacher bought me a book a couple of weeks ago, which has helped my range no end called 'Trumpet advanced Lip Flexibilities' By Dr. Charles Colin. Its "the red one" :wink: It's Increased my range from a top C to top F in about 3 weeks! :D :D

Horace

Practise, practise and practise. I always had a poor upper register until I discovered the Vizzuti trumpet book, it has a really useful section on upper register and endurance. 10 minutes a day from that and you should see improvement in no time. I think the most important things to consider is proper support and control of the air flow, as well as have an embouchure with strong corners.

BBBfYBS

Page 1 of the Arban. That is the first page with an exercise on it. On this page are six exercises, play all these very slowley at mf-f. Play the first in the written register, the second an 8ve higher, the third a 8ve lower (or for cornet players as low as your instrument will allow you) than written and repeat the process for the other three. Do this after a warm up and also do it again pp at the end end your prctice befor you warm down. I guarentee you after even 2-3 days you will see a massive difference in your range, sound and stamina. Also rest as much as you need, as rest is just as important as play.

ScrapingtheBottom

Unfortunately there is no substitute for hard work (well apart from taking up the trombone!). But, and I know people will kill me for this, I have found that the right mouthpiece does make a difference, not to range, but to tone and stamina. I have two gob irons - a small olds 1* and a 5BS (for playing orchestral trom) they both have different sounds (the 1* has a nice edge to it, but the 5BS gives me a broader sound) and I have found I can play in the top of my register for longer with the 1* (it doesn't increase my range, but just makes it a bit more stable at the top).

But then again I'm a lazy amateur player so what do I know.

grandfilth

is it me or has noone mentioned breathing?!!As far as I can see you are asking about stamina and not range, am I right?In which case I was once told by a brilliant trumpeter by the name of Gareth Small (Halle Brass) that stamina is helped more by breathing than by any other method, as long as you use enough air, your lips should last longer.It seems to work but i guess everyone is different...

In my opinion too much practice can result in lesser stamina if its excessive,.....

akwarose

Boomchickaboom said:
do you know a secret that i dont?
Like drinking herbal tea upside down or something... ( i can dream its that easy right!!) :)

its really quite simple. you have to steal the golden mouthpiece from the hall of the mountain kings and then simply dance round it naked ever time theres a full moon whilst sprinkling fairy dust on it and voila! you will be blessed with the gift of being able to play high notes...... :roll:

akwarose said:
its really quite simple. you have to steal the golden mouthpiece from the hall of the mountain kings and then simply dance round it naked ever time theres a full moon whilst sprinkling fairy dust on it and voila! you will be blessed with the gift of being able to play high notes...... :roll:

So thats what ive been doing wrong..... :wink:

Thanks for all your help - again, your all just stars.

i'll let you know how i get on and if you hear in the news that a strange girl has been locked up for looking for the golden mouth piece in the hall of the kings - you'll know its me going for the easy option ;)

if any of you are out for whit friday and see ireland chesterfield BB out ask for Claire and i'll buy you a drink for your INVALUABLE advice :)

Cheers!

TIMBONE

You need daily practice for stamina, well developed support from the diaphragm area, lots of warm-up/practice in the middle and lower register to strengthen the emboucher, and....wait for it, ('cause this will create a storm).....a high note emboucher!!!!!!

ScrapingtheBottom

TIMBONE said:
, ('cause this will create a storm).....a high note emboucher!!!!!!

Surely you are not suggesting that we embouchre switch? Remington would be spinning in his grave! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I have at least three embouchres that I know of.