HELP...

flashbarry

Can anybody speak or read German as we need help translating an email we have received from one of our publishers!! :shock:

Thanks

timbloke

try babelfish at altavista - www.altavista.com/babelfish or there was a better site, but i can't remember it. you can have some great fun translating to german then to french, then spanish, japanese, swahili and back to english to see what you come up with. try a monty python script or a song lyric.

Cantonian

This reminds me of a true story reported in the Daily Telegraph about 15 years ago.

A German was appearing in court in Dublin for motoring offences and could not understand English with an Irish accent. The judge asked if anybody spoke German and a chap put his hand up. He was called forward and the judge asked if he could ask the accused his name.

He said...."Voss iss your name".

He got done for contempt of court.

Straightmute

BottyBurp said:
I know how to ask for 2 large beers in German. And Spanish. And French, Greek...

Now that would be a useful thread. The combined membership of tMP must be able to cover most languages.

I can order two beers in Spanish, which is a curse when I'm in a hurry and only want one...

D

picju96

I was in Italy with school in July and the only Italian phrase my friend could say was 'Is it ok if I drive a tank through your front garden please?' So she said it to a (luckally) friendly Italian and he was very kind and replied really slowly to her so that she could understand that it was quite alright to drive a tank through his front garden.

HBB

That could only happen to someone who knows you Julia! :p

I got an A* in French and an A in German.

Aber ich spreche keine gut Deutsche, ich hasse es, es ist sehr hart, und doof! :D

PeterBale

Staff member
Mrs Fruity said:
e-pals.com have an instant translator, too.

Instant translators do have their draw-backs: when I was researching for a cd review, the band and most of the composers were Swiss, so most of the info was in French. Not trusting my own schoolboy French - very rusty through lack of use - I translated the documents on the net, only to be rather surprised to see that a number of the composers had learnt to play viola (no offence to cornetgirl!).

It took a little while or the penny to click: "viola" in French is known as the "alto", wich is also their term for "tenor horn", so these viola-playrs were really tenor horn players :lol: :lol: :lol: