Help - Mini Disc mics

johnflugel

Can any recommend a microphone that could be used with a Sony mini disc player? It would have to be compatible to fit the standard socket. I have a lapel mic but often the results when recording a band playing are very bassy and inconsistent (nothing to do with the band playing ofcourse!).

Naomi McFadyen

I use the audio-technica ATR25.
It is a stereo microphone and I find it has good results when I record band rehearsals etc with it.
Also very cheap, about £20-30 depending on where you look.

There are however, many many many many different mics you can get for the mini-disk players that range in price immensly!
Depends how much you are willing to spend etc.

;-)

Frontman

A very good stereo mini-disc mic can be purchased at Tandy. When I bought mine it was £26-95.
The recording quality is very good indeed as long as you set the recording volume against the band sound prior to recording.

alanl58

Be careful, some Sony mini-disc players only have a "line in" socket (colour coded with white plastic), and even a powered electret microphone will not provide enough gain for the recorder. In this instance you can get a small audio mixer from Maplin Electronics which will pre-amplify the microphone, but it is a lot of bulk to carry around.

I you do have a microphone input (colour coded red), then buy a powered electret. I use a Sony ECM-MS907, which allows a switchable stereo image from 90 degrees to 120 degrees, but you do need to replace the battery occasionally (usually just after a serious concert!)

Hope this helps

Alan Lafferty
one time broadcast engineer..........

neiltwist

alanl58 said:
Be careful, some Sony mini-disc players only have a "line in" socket (colour coded with white plastic), and even a powered electret microphone will not provide enough gain for the recorder. In this instance you can get a small audio mixer from Maplin Electronics which will pre-amplify the microphone, but it is a lot of bulk to carry around.

I you do have a microphone input (colour coded red), then buy a powered electret. I use a Sony ECM-MS907, which allows a switchable stereo image from 90 degrees to 120 degrees, but you do need to replace the battery occasionally (usually just after a serious concert!)

Hope this helps

Alan Lafferty
one time broadcast engineer..........
yes, I made this mistake, but I use a silent brass processing unit on minimum reverb setting to improve the audio gain.

sop til u drop

if u can afford it, deffo go for the Sony ECM-MS907. its not cheap, but ia discreet and gives excellent results. you will have no problem with gain etc - it is designed for the Sony minidisk players after all!