Help I'm Mad

Chimp-man

Having not long changed instruments, wait for Cornet to BASS :!: (I might add this was just to help my previous band out), and was told it suited me better than a cornet, you'll know what I mean if you've worked out who I am, by the glues in my profile :guiness. I have enjoyed adapting to the bass once I sorted my pitching out :!: Until now. Having just participated in two marching gigs, I want to go back to cornet, why would I want to lug that lump of metal around when I could have a cuddly cornet :!: Only kidding I'll carry on getting back ache for the cause. I still think I need help any good Brass Band Shrinks :?:

HBB

Oh my god!! I'm having that dillemma at the moment too! I went from solo cornet to Eb Bass, but now want to go to horn (did my NYBBGB audition on that!). :D

Danny_L

Such changes can't be good for one's ombouchure (absolutely no idea how to spell that word, never have, never will).

I went from horn, to baritone, to bass, to euphonium, took me ages to get used to each, maybe I'm just a slow adapter.

Okiedokie of Oz

As I am sure Roddy will say, if you can manage to play bass properly, it may end up helping out your cornet playing.

If you think you're mad, you're talking to the guy who used to jump from BBb to Soprano mid-rehearsal.

bruceg

Welcome to tMP Chimp Man :) I thought you lugged that big lump of metal around pretty well on Saturday - and in the rain too :D See you tomorrow at band ;)

eckyboy

It's not Jake is it-welcome my friend,and by the way I thought you always played bass.You're doing a great job 8)

Well Worth It

homicidalbennyboy said:
Oh my god!! I'm having that dillemma at the moment too! I went from solo cornet to Eb Bass, but now want to go to horn (did my NYBBGB audition on that!). :D

Gone from Horn to Trumpet to Drums.

(hmmm, now where :?: :? )

Andy_Euph

At least now you've come down to proper instruments! :wink:

It always get me why cornet players whinge on about marching when they don't have to lug bigger instruments about as well as play them, at least now you may understand why bass players don't like marching :p

Loop

Always played horn in brass bands, did a stint playing cornet/trumpet in the school swing band and I played cornet for the sixthform brass quartet.

I can remember a time at Hepworth when I switched to playing keyboard now and then during band rehearsals/concerts when we played the Gael. Not too many problems with embachure there, but it was a buggar on the fingers. lol.

x

lynchie

The biggest change I've ever made was sticking a euphonium mouthpiece in my trombone so I could play Eb bass parts at the weekend... that was fuuun!

neiltwist

lynchie said:
The biggest change I've ever made was sticking a euphonium mouthpiece in my trombone so I could play Eb bass parts at the weekend... that was fuuun!

you used a euphonium mouthpiece and it was easier to get lower?!?!?!!? :shock:

i can get stupidly high with a nice small euph mouthpiece. I'll show you mine on saturday ;)

neiltwist

yeah, you should see my bell, 10 1/2 ", it's very much oversized compared to that which it is attached :lol: