HELP!!! I need a new mouthpiece

Nathaniel Davis

Hi, my name is Nathaniel and I'm in need of a new mouthpiece. I've watched a few videos and read a few articles and found that the Bach 3c is one of the best mouthpieces out there. I'm a senior in high school and I'm going to be going to college here very soon so I'm going to be needing something other than my beginner Bach 7c. I'm pretty good with it and can hit a double C with ease, but my embouchure gets tired really fast. I need something that makes it easier to hit those high notes without killing my embouchure. Should I get the 3c to replace my beginner 7c (which I'll still hold on to for really low notes lol) or should I get something other than the 3c? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Tom-King

Aaargh!

There's no such thing as a "beginner model" mouthpiece - there are serious pros out there using all sorts, including 7C's...
Some go bigger, deeper, more open throats/backbore and some go smaller, shallower, tighter and some never change (to say nothing of those going wider but shallower, like a 3C, or any number of other changes).

Every mouthpiece from a reputable manufacturer out there is one of the best available: IF IT SUITS YOU.

What exactly are you calling double C by the way?
Only a teeny fraction of players ever actually get a solid double C (one octave above a two ledger-line "high C") and an even smaller percentage ever get comfortable with it.
(I say this as someone who's used that note in performance, and been considered a freak for being able to get up there for as long as I can remember... And I wouldn't dream of dismissing it as "with ease")

If you have a teacher, talk to them about this, they know your playing better than we could.

Failing that, try a few different pieces with an open mind and see what works for you - don't expect it to be all roses, you'll almost certainly hit a setback that needs to be worked through where your playing temporarily suffers (often referred to as the honeymoon period).

If you actually need to change then look at what you're looking to get out of the change and what your tradeoffs will be...
If you're looking for more high register endurance, you probably want to go a bit shallower and ideally narrower if you've got the embouchure focus to do so... The tradeoffs are a less full sound, less security in quiet playing and smaller margins for error - oh, and lots of practice to get up to speed with the change... But do you need to change, or would those practice hours required to properly acclimate to the new piece be better spent working with what you've already got?

Queeg2000

I have used both a 7c and a 3c. I do find higher notes easiet on the 3c but lower notes are much harder to get clean.

The 3c was a real lip killer at first and I gave up on it altogether in favour of my old 7c. I've gone back to it now and finding it a lot easier after a few months.

However, if the 7c works for you stick with it. I bet half the players in our band don't know what mouthpiece they are using other than it came with the instrument.

There are some truly awful mouthpieces mainly those that come with truly awful instruments from India.

However a top of the range mouthpiece is only as good as the player behind it. Many a mediocre player has blamed his mouthpiece

Ron Lander

I ended up using Bach 7C mouthpieces in both my Bb trumpets and cornets for all of my playing in a military band, big jazz band and orchestra so don’t think of it as a beginner mouthpiece.

If you are getting tired don’t play the high notes so often. No mouthpiece will stop you tiring on the high notes.