Hello! I Am Mr Thicky

brassneck

Have you been hiding in my garden with your zoom lens again? If you must publish the photos I'll thank you not to airbrush out the rhinestone bikini next time.:p
BMB
xx

- I'm not the one with the macro lens remember! :tongue: It must be those paparazzi polecat rivals on the hunt for sensational pictures again.

bigmamabadger

Ah yes, you're the one who does "mood" lighting for badgers. i.e. darkness...

*sigh* I shall probably be on the cover of Playvole again this month then. I wouldn't mind if they even paid me, but no, they have to skulk in the bushes. Still, that's polecats for you.
Jeeves, order another set of mantraps and reload the photon torpedoes.
BMB
xx

brassneck

bigmamabadger said:
*sigh* I shall probably be on the cover of Playvole again this month then.

- I heard that the pic has been sold to this Sundays' Shrews Of The World with an accompanying story about how you overcame stagefright! I wonder if the story about when you were caught using the Slaidburn to perform will air itself?

bigmamabadger

- I heard that the pic has been sold to this Sundays' Shrews Of The World with an accompanying story about how you overcame stagefright! I wonder if the story about when you were caught using the Slaidburn to perform will air itself?
Slaidburn is what you get from twirling round the pole too fast.
It's OK the ointment is working wonders...
BMB
xx

bigmamabadger

Badger graciously accepts the applause, attempts a full debutante curtsey and falls sideways off the podium.
Time for bed I think. Night night peeps.
BMB
xx

bagpuss

Ah, that would be the new Gossard bra. "Lift and separate..."
BMB
xx

*cue horrendous mental images of badger in lift and separate bra and the aforementioned rhinestone bikini*

At this time in the morning, those images are usually called NIGHTMARES!!!!

On the subject (yes there was one originally) of to warm up or not to warm up, it very much depends on whether or not you HAVE a green room to warm up in beforehand and whether or not your audience decides to start arriving 3 hours before the concert starts so as to get a couple of hours knitting in first. However, if pressed on the subject I would say it is very unprofessional to be warming or tuning up in front of an audience and yes for the trolls amongst you I do mean that I find orchestras warming/tuning up in front of an audience unprofessional. Before anyone starts shouting about LSO et al being unprofessional, they DO have green rooms and practice rooms available to them. They are also supposed to be professional musicians and should therefore be able to tune themselves to A at 440hz before coming onto stage. If they can't they have no place being there in the first place. An A in the green room is going to be exactly the same as an A in front of the whole audience. Oh and please don't say they all need to tune to each other because that's rot too. They all tune to the same note and being the professional people they are can tune accurately enough on their own. Any minor variation can be catered for when playing - I believe it comes under the heading of intonation (along with a few other things too).

So to sum up, DO NOT warm up or tune up in front of (or within earshot of if possible) an audience whether you be the lowliest village brass band or the mightiest symphony orchestra. It's unprofessional and if I've paid money to come to your concert, I don't want to hear you warminig and tuning up beforehand. Oh yeah, and don't feed the trolls and please no more pictures/mental images of badgers pole dancing or wearing underwear.

Thankyou

Puss

Last edited:

ronnie_the_lizard

they DO have green rooms and practice rooms available to them. They are also supposed to be professional musicians and should therefore be able to tune themselves to A at 440hz before coming onto stage.

Hmmm..... they may well have green rooms, which are probably either hot and sweaty because they're cramped or else air conditioned and very cool and dry. The orchestra then has to come out into a hot dry auditorium.

For a band it doesn't make that much difference - all the instruments (except maybe timps) are going to be affected in the same way - e.g. 0.5% expansion or contraction of the metal due to temperature - so the the tuning will pretty much stay together even if overall it shifts from 440 to 338 or 442 etc.

For an orchestra there will be big differentials in the effects of temperature and humidity on wood, reed, catgut, metal etc, and so the move from green room to pit / stage throws the ensemble tuning out.

It does always seema bit strange that they tune to the Oboe, which can at least be tuned a little bit, rather than to the Glock or Xylophone.

*cue horrendous mental images of badger in lift and separate bra and the aforementioned rhinestone bikini*

.......so why does the image of BMB in a lift, holding a separate bra and bikini, constitute an horrendous mental image ???

DaveR

It does always seema bit strange that they tune to the Oboe, which can at least be tuned a little bit, rather than to the Glock or Xylophone.

True, but I think the oboe has probably tuned to the correct pitch prior to giving the note :tongue:. It is also easier to hear an oboe over the orchestra than a glockenspiel, and also for the oboist to sustain the note long enough for a whole orchestra to tune up.

Anno Draconis

*They are also supposed to be professional musicians and should therefore be able to tune themselves to A at 440hz before coming onto stage. If they can't they have no place being there in the first place. An A in the green room is going to be exactly the same as an A in front of the whole audience. Oh and please don't say they all need to tune to each other because that's rot too.

It may well be that the brass instruments hold their tuning, but to say that the strings don't need to tune to each other and the rest of the orchestra regularly is, I'm afraid, rot.

String instruments, especially in period instrument bands using gut strings, go out of tune very quickly. I've known string sections retune between movements of especially long or demanding works (like a Mahler or Bruckner symphony). Presumably this would also meet with disapproval; would you rather that they played the whole latter half of the concert going more and more out of tune? Or should they leave the stage, retune off stage and come back?

I actually don't think that brass bands should tune up, or warm up, on stage. I don't see the need, and in most brass bands below the very top flight players often can't actually tell whether they are flat or sharp. This neccesitates the conductor tuning each player individually, unlike a professional orchestra where every player tunes their own instrument in a few seconds.

Robhibberd29

People can't seem to stop "harpin" on about Orchestras can they (pardon the pun he he)

Thanks BAGPUSS for trying to return to the subject and thanks for your valued opinion, that's what I was after! (not pole dancing badgers???)

brassneck

The reason why the oboe leads the tuning is because of all the instruments, it is least affected by humidity or other weather conditions.

Morghoven

...or to the organ. This has happened to me on a couple of occasions. Give me a break guys - I can't tune this thing myself and the organ tuner will take a whole day to do it. And even then it probably won't be at 440. What's more, if you are not in tune with the organ, everyone will notice!! I am afraid that brass bands are particularly noticeable for this bad habit.

On the subject of tuning untuneable instruments, I did also have a conductor complain that the tubular bells were out of tune and ask if I could fix them... :confused: ...on a contest piece where we would be using the provided set, not ours, on the day in any case... :eek:

Oh, yes...topic. Sure there's one round here somewhere...:rolleyes: If there is somewhere one can properly warm up that is out of earshot of the audience, then for pity's sake do it there and keep quiet on stage. If it's only the other side of a curtain or whatever, then do it on stage cos everyone will hear anyway. But please keep it to warming up, rather than playing Carnival of Venice or whatever. Tuning on stage before you start? Yes. Please do it. Tuning up should always be done at the last possible opportunity and it has never once distracted me from the music - but being out of tune does. But having a tuning break during a piece? No no no no no. Sorry you string-playing wimps, but the rest of us adjust our tuning as we go along if things start to change. What's more, we haven't got a dozen other people covering us when we do it, we're one on a part. Use your ears and sort it out because there really is no need.

MartinT

Sorry you string-playing wimps, but the rest of us adjust our tuning as we go along if things start to change. What's more, we haven't got a dozen other people covering us when we do it, we're one on a part. Use your ears and sort it out because there really is no need.

Now I'm just an occasional guitarist, but tell me: how do you suggest "using your ears" on an out-of-tune string, played open?

bigmamabadger

Now I'm just an occasional guitarist, but tell me: how do you suggest "using your ears" on an out-of-tune string, played open?
I may have misunderstood your question but possibly the tuning peg is the answer? Although you are correct to suggest that these are not easy to turn using merely the ears. Very difficult to get the necessary leverage.
BMB
xx

Hells Bones

On a guitar it's easy, on a violin it is a little more difficult.
I'm a bass player myself and if a string slips slightly, I will compensate by bending the strings until I have time to re-tune.
Granted it can make it worse, but unless your doing Jazz or Metal, there will be a point where your on an open string note and you just turn the peg while it rings, only way for it without stopping and retuning in the middle of a gig