Have any of u ever played with stitches in ur chin?

wigglyfingers

I fell off my bike 2day and i have had 2 have 9 stitches in my chin... just on the bone at the bottom.
Do you think i'll be ok to play at the weekend...
we have 2 concerts on sat an sun (have to play last post etc on sun and have a solo - hailstorm - on sat) and i play principal cornet... and without me there'll only be 2 others on the front row. One nurse told me not to play and another said i should be ok!!

So i'm not to sure what to do and am turning to you lot for advice!!

Thanx wigglyfingers xxx

Roger Thorne

I'm certainly no Doctor, but would suggest that if you can play without any pain go ahead and do it. It may be worth visiting your GP on Friday and asking his opinion.

If you do go ahead and play it may save you a visit to the nurse in a few days to have your stitches out though! :?

IckleSop

At the tender age of 10 i fell off my bed onto my window legde trying to open my window,
I bit though my chin, where the fold is and my teeth went straight though and snapped off in my gum, i didnt have my front two teeth for 3 months while i was waiting for Caps, i learnt to play without my teeth (it was so bloody hard to start with teeth again it was like learnong again) but not with the stitches i really think you should wait till it heals you could risk your playin altoegther

Fishsta

I once slipped on a rock on holiday and managed to hole punch my bottom lip with my front top two teeth.

Didn't get stitches, it got super-glued... nice scar left behind!

It tickles sometimes when I play, but never caused me any real problems.

PeterBale

Staff member
I'm inclined to go along with Roger on this one. When you play, you would be aware of any tight feeling around the stitches if there was any problem, but I wouldn't have thought playing would put a lot of pressure on them. With the stitches being on the outside, there would certainly be no risk of any long term effect on your playing.

wigglyfingers

Thankx for all your replies, i have 2 options really..... my mum spoke to one of her friends who was a nurse and she thinks i would be ok to play with the stiches in, it's about an inch and a half cut on the jawline.. but if i left them in over the weekend, i couldnt get them taken out before tues (bank hol on mon). This could leave scarring where the stitches have been. Alternitavly i could have them taken out on friday, and not play.
But i have been thinking that i could get them taken out on fri and thne have the nurse plaster it up with steri-strips (which is all they were goin to do in the first place!!) just overthe weekend... i dunno!!

Wiggly fingers

Valvecap

Played 3 hours on top seat the day after wisdom teeth came out....

Was fine - not too much pain (but yes blood everywhere) all through the gig.

3 hours after the gig was in agony - recommend get professional advice from doc.

jo

Dont risk scarring...you will regret it in years to come! I would agree with the majority and seek advice from your GP or from NHS direct before risking anything...good luck!

PeterBale

Staff member
jo said:
Dont risk scarring...you will regret it in years to come! I would agree with the majority and seek advice from your GP or from NHS direct before risking anything...good luck!

Isn't that even more risky :?: :wink: :lol:

cornetgirl

I'd be very careful - if it feels tight and you do too much playing then you'll probably bust the stitches and increase the possibility of infection and scarring. Thus speaks the doc!

Rach x