" has anyone played a contest with there left hand&quot

has anyone played in a contest using there other hand? well i have a contest coming up and i will have to use my other hand most probably until my other hand is better, but im doing alright.

Fishsta

Never done a contest playing valves with my left hand, but have often played left handed, especially with "hand-over-bell" parts on the Euphonium.

It's not too hard so long as the runs aren't too quick.

Rambo Chick

i havent but i did do last years areas with a broken right wrist!!
had to hold my instrument kinda funny but it was ok!

Carolyn

flugel
united co-operatives yorkshire

johnmartin

I once played my bass with my left hand as I'd broken two fingers playing footie. Just to make things even more fun I also had my leg in plaster from a later tackle in the same game. I was in goal by the way and we won.

One year I also came off stage at the nationals looking like a vampire as I had carried on playing with a sever bout of tonsilitis and was coughing up blood by the end of the performance.

one of my friends who doesnt play in bands now is Left Handed, he plays/played his cornet left handed 100% of the time.

Looked a bit odd, having his hand over the bell side as opposed to the mouthpiece leadpipe side, but never the less he was a fantastic player.

As I said, he doesnt play now, but his second last band was championship section which he played for for a few years.

John Brooks

I'm left handed but always played right handed. I recall that Alan Laing from Sunderland played left handed and I'm quite sure he had a left handed cornet. Maybe someone can confirm that.

Okiedokie of Oz

years ago, our flugel player broke his wrist a month before the Nationals, ahd to play left handed. he said it was his first challenge for a while :wink:

I hate people like that :roll:

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
Michael the principal cornet of Bearpark&Esh only has one hand. He has a hook fixed to his right wrist which clamps around his cornet and he plays with his left hand. He's really good

markyboy

I remember a Trombone player from Thurlstone Band who was left handed and used to play his trom the wrong way round. ie the bell over his right shoulder and the slide operated by his left hand.
Probably the only person I have ever seen doing this.
I once saw a picture of a young girl playing 'The Acrobat' by holding the slide in her toes in an entertainment contest.
But thats another story!!

Euph-Bari

thes is a euphonium player at my junior band who is left handed and plays with her left hand - she can't use the 4th valve too well beacause of this and has problems standing up with the thing and plays trombone back to front

paddo

I had to play with my left hand for several weeks which led up to a contest when i was in my teens. I had frac' my nuckles in a fight! i aren't like that all the time, honest!!

gazrose

Re: " has anyone played a contest with there left hand&

spookybiking said:
has anyone played in a contest using there other hand? well i have a contest coming up and i will have to use my other hand most probably until my other hand is better, but im doing alright.

I've never played in a contest - never mind with my left hand!! :roll:

lynchie

markyboy said:
I once saw a picture of a young girl playing 'The Acrobat' by holding the slide in her toes in an entertainment contest.
But thats another story!!

yeah i remember seeing her doing it... didn't make the piece any less annoying, but quite impressive!

blondey

when i was wee i used to practice solos with my left hand before solo contests. As far as i can remember this was in case i broke my hand the morning of the contest, or a dog bit it off, or other odd right-hand imparing things happened. Also, a great tip for when you get finger-tied is to play the passage with your left hand. For some reason, when you go back to right handed playing the tricky bit is generally sorted. Even more strange is most of the time i can play better using my left hand! :?