Hardest position in a band

What do you think would be the toughest job in a band?

• Total voters

Okiedokie of Oz

Wouldn't it be baritone??

I mean at any given time you have no idea whether you're playing with the horns, euphs, troms, basses, and you have to match their colours!!!

fitzy

I never thought this would open this sort of can of worms! I should have put a few extra options on the poll!
Maybe I should start one for the EASIEST position in the band!

Lyndsay

I play 2nd trombone in a 2nd section band, and I 100% have to go with sop. tuning, pitching, dynamic, definately a nightmare!

Cornishwomble

Sop for me
You have to work hard out of band practice to keep your lips stamina up, you only have to have a week off and you soon feel the difference.
Plus when a sop splits a note the whole World knows it's happened and the sop can't blame any one else or do the sticky valve routine when a difficult part comes up!!

Will the Sec

I voted for Soprano because it seems to me that adjudicators always pick up on a weak performance by the Sop player. In addition, some composers seem to write such difficult sop parts compared to others in the context of the overall difficulty of a piece. Add all this to not having the option to delegate as a principal cornet has, and that's why I voted Sop.

1st Baritone was a close second though, as it never seems to stop. Lots of examples have been given earlier in this as to why the 1st Baritone never stops - I'd add the occasions when 1st baritone acts as the bass line to a cornet ensemble.

BFN

You all seem to have overlooked the humble bass trombone - whether we're at the bottom of a triad or on top of the bass line, we NEVER get the opportunity to showcase our skill at semiquaver playing...

Seriously though, I've voted sop - first trombone's too exposed for me!

PeterBale

Staff member
Very good posts from a lot of folk here, but I'm rather surprised nobody seems to have mentioned the flugel yet. Of all the instruments in the band, everyone seems to have their own idea of what makes a good flugel sound: having to blend sometimes with the horns and sometimes with the cornets, and then to come through as a strong solo voice would seem to make it one of the hardest positions to fill successfully.

jpbray

I have enjoyed reading a lot of the posted comments; however I think you have to concede that the sop is possibly the hardest job in the band, especially when they start turning a lovely shade of purple. This being said a band is team, and we don't want to have to start employing carpenters to adjust the width of the bandroom doors to let the sop player in. :p :wink:

Valvecap

Or perhaps deps manager?!?!

Seriously though, i think sop probably has the least places to hide in terms of if they get it wrong, it generally rings round the hall for an hour or so... Perhaps euph is hardest in terms of range required - seem to fly about more than other instruments.

ScrapingtheBottom

standstudent said:
You all seem to have overlooked the humble bass trombone - whether we're at the bottom of a triad or on top of the bass line, we NEVER get the opportunity to showcase our skill at semiquaver playing...

Seriously though, I've voted sop - first trombone's too exposed for me!

Bass trom is pretty tough, although at Bestwood I seem to be getting a new solo/feature every week on solo trom!!!!

Sop is the hardest I reckon though.

PS Welcome to the forum Neil, used to sit on the seat you're on now at St Andrews!!!

Product tMP members are discussing