hard or soft?

Seedhouse

Hard for journeys where more at threat of damage, or one's where I need to keep it stored e.g. at contests etc, and soft for journeys where I'll be carrying it around a lot, and it isn't as at much a risk, because I'll be being VERY careful!

flugelgal

stopher said:
The one I've got is made by brass bags (www.brassbags.co.uk) and you can get an extra set of boards to put inside them.

Me too! And I love it :) Plenty of room in there for lots of stuff - could take just a cornet and a weekend's worth of clothes too I'm sure...

Kirsty

stopher

flugelgal said:
stopher said:
The one I've got is made by brass bags (www.brassbags.co.uk) and you can get an extra set of boards to put inside them.

Me too! And I love it :) Plenty of room in there for lots of stuff - could take just a cornet and a weekend's worth of clothes too I'm sure...

Kirsty

Managed to get a dozen cans of guiness and a half yard of ale glass in mine before for Whit Friday. Had to take an old leather gig bag for my cornet!

skweeky

i think it depends on the occaision :D if you are going to a concert of a contest i would put ma sop in a gig bag so i can keep it on my back and it looks cool aswel (i have a really small gig bag - not one of those heavy cornet ones) but a hard case kept at home can also be useful when you need protection :wink: eg travelling on a coach where you need to pack your instrument tight with others, and im sure you could think of other circumstances which require that 'added protection' 8)

Big Fella

Most of the time, I use a gig bag, playin BBb Bass, if I use a hard case, back seat of car have to be droppped and things..

If travelling a distance on a coach though, goes into hard case. Then the only thing that gets annoying, is the amount of stairs we have to climb.

It's fine for you people who play things that belong on key ring fobs..

No one else use a hybrid case??

Gig bags are certainly useful for getting around on buses, trains etc and it's nice to be able to sling it over your shoulder. Hard cases on the other hand offer more protection. There are some manufacturers (BAM, Protec, SKB) who make cases out of hardened foam which offer the protection of a hardcase whilst being light enough to sling over your shoulder. The one drawback with them is that you don't get the room to store mutes and other gear in the case.

I have two of these (BAM) for my tenor (Rath) and Bass (Edwards) trombones and would recommend the to anyone.

brasscrest

Mike Saville said:
No one else use a hybrid case??

Gig bags are certainly useful for getting around on buses, trains etc and it's nice to be able to sling it over your shoulder. Hard cases on the other hand offer more protection. There are some manufacturers (BAM, Protec, SKB) who make cases out of hardened foam which offer the protection of a hardcase whilst being light enough to sling over your shoulder. The one drawback with them is that you don't get the room to store mutes and other gear in the case.

I have two of these (BAM) for my tenor (Rath) and Bass (Edwards) trombones and would recommend the to anyone.

Hardened foam, like that on the inside of a bicyclist's helmet? This sounds like a good idea, although a crush event on the hardened foam might mean that you have to replace the whole case, because it won't spring back like a soft foam would and the compressed foam would compromise the protection.

Even hard cases are not necessarily safe, especially in air travel. A lot of damage can occur if the hard case opens in transit. I used to lock and tape my case before embarking on a plane, but this is no longer possible because of security rules (if the case is locked and/or taped, the security people may break it open if they decide to search it). I use a wide strap with a buckle around the case now, to prevent it from opening in transit.

Not quite sure what you mean by a 'hybrid' case but the case which came with my Courtois cornet has a hard shell with a synthetic covering and shoulder straps, so I guess it's the best of both worlds. Has held up well on various EasyJet flights between Edinburgh and Luton to date.

ScrapingtheBottom

I wish I could afford a gig bag - but I'm stuck with hard cases, which for my Holton bass trom is a real pain in the bottom. If I'm travelling its a hard cases with a couple of old belts strapped round it for sure.

Masterblaster jnr

I always been a fan of soft cases, but if your going on a coach on a long journey with heavy items in the same holder, i would use a hard one.

I think the soft ones are ideal for car journeys or places where you walk a long way for comfort reasons. Aswell as that, if you need a lot of storage, GIG bags beat hard cases hands down

DMBabe

Supporting Member
Gig bags all the way!!! Especially as flugel cases are ridiculously poorly designed! My last one had a section for music and a little bit for mouthpiece pencil and a small bottle of valve oil, yet was the size of an enormous suitcase (you know the type u'd use for a family of 4 to go a fortnights hoilday). Such as waste of materials and a pain to carry. People never ceased to look amused at me opening what could only be described as a trunk, only to remove a diddy wee instrument!:oops: Use a triple trumpet one for gigs although generally just have one trumpet and a battery of mutes/juice bottles/books etc.

Got a 'gig' bag in orange for my tenor horn and have recently got one for my flugel direct from the states in band colours (black green and gold). Its the trumpet/cornet model but bizarrely the flugel fits better even though they recommend using the tenor horn bag for flugel????:confused: Tons of space for music and other tat plus can carry spare shirt and change of clothes in it! :clap: :clap:

I use a soft case because I find it much more convienient.

HOWEVER

I wouldn't risk taking it on a coach. Unless it occupies the seat next to me. I'm a leeetle over-protective!

millie6589

I've always just had a hard case but am considering getting a gig bag as I am very llazy and anything that creates the slightest bit of extra convenience is a good thing to me! I would still use the hard case on buses and other possible damaging occasions though

tweetipie21

I'm a hard cased girl all the way. Maybe thats 'cos I'm soooo clumsy and i daren't risk getting any dents in my cornet.

I am also very protective of my cornet - alongside my daughter!

:)