"Grimethorpe Colliery Band in danger of folding" ?

tubaloopy

It was obviously a very last minute thing, but come on, you're Faireys not the Dunny-on-the-Wold 'B' Band. I thought Black Magic Woman was an excellent choice, but Clog Dance and Radetzky. Really?

I realise you're between a rock and a hard place, as the BBC will want you to play something 'accessible' and Vienna Nights hardly fits the bill, but I'm sure you must have something in your pads that doesn't reinforce the stereotype. Was Floral Dance to be the encore?

I don't want sound overly harsh, and the playing was more than good enough all things considered, but it did seem to lack a bit of imagination from the band that brought us Acid Brass. That said, you still came across way better than Grimey.

They only wanted 2 pieces until we got there: something from Brassed Off that was fast and something else.
We had no more than 5 minutes rehearsal in total, and needed to make sure parts were covered with what we had.

BigBlaster

My original post did say " I kind of get the feeling that Faireys had to go along with it! I just wish the media these days would give us a proper chance to really show our full potential as a movement /hobby."

And I stick by that sentiment. The media still insist in showing and making us sound like people who still wear flat caps. They give us as a movement no opportunity to show our full potential. We all know there are some fantastic arrangements (and arrangers) out there of new/popular music but still insist on making good bands play old stuff.

James Yelland

The media still insist in showing and making us sound like people who still wear flat caps.

If bands want to portray themselves in a modern way, they must do it themselves. It's no good waiting for someone else to do it for them. The world does not owe brass bands a living. To quote one of my favourite sayings, 'if you want something done, do it yourself'. Grimethorpe did just that, pulling a very good publicity coup (as I mentioned earlier) which I for one hope will help them find them their new sponsor.

Incidentally, on the subject of appearance which you mention, I'm not sure that bands turning out in brightly coloured quasi-military uniforms represents much of an improvement on flat caps when it comes to portraying an image of modernity....

...but still insist on making good bands play old stuff

As for 'the media' insisting that bands play 'old stuff' - well, keep an ear out on Radio Three and Radio Two for broadcasts from the upcoming RNCM Festival of Brass at the end of the month. I admit that the coverage hasn't been as good since Paul Hindmarsh left the BBC, but it's coverage of new and modern brass band repertoire all the same.

Last edited:

Bob Sherunkle

My original post did say " I kind of get the feeling that Faireys had to go along with it! I just wish the media these days would give us a proper chance to really show our full potential as a movement /hobby."

And I stick by that sentiment. The media still insist in showing and making us sound like people who still wear flat caps. They give us as a movement no opportunity to show our full potential. We all know there are some fantastic arrangements (and arrangers) out there of new/popular music but still insist on making good bands play old stuff.

I think it is wrong to criticise the media here. Radio 5 is a news and sport channel (not a music channel) and were obviously responding to the "news" story about Grimethorpe. It was perhaps a bit odd that Fairey were featured but it was short notice. Maybe Grimethorpe were asked first, I don't know.

The presenter of the show, Tony Livesey, was genuinely enthusiastic about brass bands (he has had Leyland on before) and most unusually for Radio 5 the band got to play 3 numbers in full, played pretty well and gave themselves some good publicity. What's not to like?

The Grimthorpe interview was less impressive. General tone was "we are loved throughout the world but need more handouts to survive". Hmmmm.....not sure that will win them a lot of sympathy really.

Radio Bob

trumpetmike

Bob's verdict........

Fairey 1

Grimethorpe ("the people's band") 0

Absolutely agree - I came away from listening to that with a huge amount of respect for Fairey and pretty much disbelief at Grimethorpe. Out of interest, since when have they been known as "The People's Band"? That was a new one for me (and many of Fairey by the reactions seen on the webcam).

Thank you mikey. It was a good do actually, although everyone was kacking it when we realised he was going to talk to us!
Glad he didn't ask me about the fact Grimey need another 30-90k on top of their 300k concert income just to survive....

On a personal note I was really hoping he was going to - I have a feeling that some of you guys might have made a very good point or two.

I have rarely seen/heard a brass band on the radio and although some of the music might have been very traditional, I imagine thaat if you had gone on there and played a test piece it would have put off a lot of the listening public (most of whom would have no interest in that side of the movement). Good choice of music, especially considering the unusual ensemble lineup you had available and the lack of notice.
Very pleased that the host managed to avoid speaking over the ends of the second and third pieces - the reaction when he didn't notice the false ending in Clog Dance was very amusing - they were happily applauding you and you guys were still going (well done for carrying on).

Great work Fairey

toby hobson

Bands are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to national exposure. I’m sure it would have filled many people with immense pride to hear one of the nation’s finest bands on national radio play Desert 2 horizons or Atlantic. But considering most people think even our more tuneful serious material is crappy, then I don’t think banding would of been done any favours if that got played, you only have to look at the program the NYBB did at the proms.....who on earth from a background that isn’t brass bands or even classical music, would find that remotely interesting and come away saying "you know what, I think I may go and check out some more band stuff" Even when Grimethorpe played MacArthur Park on TV recently, not many people would know that tune unless they have the Best of Jimmy Webb on their IPod. The ideal middle ground I would say is probably to play quality arrangements of TV themes and Current pop tunes. That would catch the interest of more people. The amount of non banders I speak to who are interested by the plus net advert for instance. I recon the music picked was there or there about, considering the time frame.

Sonorous

Well said.

Definitely well said Jim. Why are we sat here criticising these bands at all? Grimethorpe are taking the opportunity to try to grab some funding (I seem to remember several people shouting about how hard it is to get funding nowadays?....), and Fairey's jumped in to provide some light accessible music for the spot. And why, oh why, are we dictating what music should or shouldn't be played? No we SHOULDN'T all be playing arrangements of TV themes and pop music!! Some can.. some do.... Let's stop restricting our horizons by this attitude that all bands should be exactly the same.

Ianroberts

A bit different from "that other announcement"

[h=1]Grimethorpe set for historic announcement[/h]8-Jul-2012
Something historic is on the cards at Grimethorpe - with rumours rife with speculation.

AbbeyRoadSign.jpg

Sources at Grimethorpe Colliery Band have revealed that the band is shortly to make a major announcement that they believe will secure the band a worldwide profile.

johnflugel

Definitely well said Jim. Why are we sat here criticising these bands at all? Grimethorpe are taking the opportunity to try to grab some funding (I seem to remember several people shouting about how hard it is to get funding nowadays?....), and Fairey's jumped in to provide some light accessible music for the spot. And why, oh why, are we dictating what music should or shouldn't be played? No we SHOULDN'T all be playing arrangements of TV themes and pop music!! Some can.. some do.... Let's stop restricting our horizons by this attitude that all bands should be exactly the same.

I was just isolating one statement rather than speaking about specific bands. The general public does not owe bands a living.

Sonorous

I was just isolating one statement rather than speaking about specific bands. The general public does not owe bands a living.

No, i know. The rest of it was just my two penneth on top of that :) (and wasn't aimed at you, just the observation that often comments on here seem to imply that bands should all follow one amateur mould, which i think is the biggest obstacle of them all)

Last edited:
No, i know. The rest of it was just my two penneth on top of that :) (and wasn't aimed at you, just the observation that often comments on here seem to imply that bands should all follow one amateur mould, which i think is the biggest obstacle of them all)

Is that not why we're called a 'movement', because generally speaking we're all moving in a similar direction? Now of course like in everything there's the monkey that picked the stone up first to break the shell, the one that decided walking on two legs was better and the rest see it and think I'll have a bit of that.

But we generally follow a mould, but the mould every few years changes and we all move with it? That's why we don't play quadrilles anymore or wear caps? I think you might be being a little hard on bands?

I listened to Faireys on 5 Live last night and thought, particularly given the short notice and small ensemble, the band came across very well. Not necessarily my taste in music but you only had to listen to some of the texts from listeners to hear that the band won a few non-banders over with their playing and some were genuinely surprised to enjoy brass band music. Thank you Faireys for making the effort to get on the airwaves and show banding in a good, down to earth light.

Anno Draconis

Is that not why we're called a 'movement', because generally speaking we're all moving in a similar direction?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Early nomination for comedy post of the year, nice work! :clap:

I think it was Bram Gay who asked to be notified when the brass band "movement" actually moved, I imagine he's still waiting.