"Grimethorpe Colliery Band in danger of folding" ?

backrow

Didn't St Hilda Colliery turn professional in 1926 after winning the nationals and lasted through to 1937. It may be that economics forced the change but the do seem to have a made a go of it for about 9 years.

Mello

IMHO Sonorous is exactly right when he says "We have an astonishing set of highly talented individuals within bands, I would love to see some of them encouraged to branch out and take our hobby to another level. And in doing so inspire the rest of us to keep evolving and growing. It wouldn't happen easily, and it will always be down to some inspired individual (or set of people) to make a giant leap of faith."

This is exactly what James Shepherd Versatile Brass did in the 70's , and they pulled fabulous audiences for years and years.
New music was produced, Concert presentation was different and the groups popularity took them from RAH to Australia and back .I know it wasn't easy for them , especially early on, and all the members had to pay subs ( even James Shepherd ) which helped hire a rehearsal room etc., but their perseverance and hard work was worth it. So , banders, please heed Sonorous and do something.

cshimmon

IMHO Sonorous is exactly right when he says "We have an astonishing set of highly talented individuals within bands, I would love to see some of them encouraged to branch out and take our hobby to another level. And in doing so inspire the rest of us to keep evolving and growing. It wouldn't happen easily, and it will always be down to some inspired individual (or set of people) to make a giant leap of faith."

This is exactly what James Shepherd Versatile Brass did in the 70's , and they pulled fabulous audiences for years and years.
New music was produced, Concert presentation was different and the groups popularity took them from RAH to Australia and back .I know it wasn't easy for them , especially early on, and all the members had to pay subs ( even James Shepherd ) which helped hire a rehearsal room etc., but their perseverance and hard work was worth it. So , banders, please heed Sonorous and do something.

Have I misread? How can they be professional AND pay subs?

MoominDave

I imagine they paid subs until the money started flowing the other way? A little like investors in a start-up business.

iancwilx

Didn't St Hilda Colliery turn professional in 1926 after winning the nationals and lasted through to 1937. It may be that economics forced the change but the do seem to have a made a go of it for about 9 years.

I believe you are right about this, but I don't know the history.

~ Mr Wilx

Mello

They were never true professionals, all had full time jobs, always .....income from jobs , certainly in their early days went on music, special guests such as a vocalists ( as they were short of music to play, conductors, special music stands etc.,).

And it is a solid fact that every individual did indeed have to pay subs to hire premises for every rehearsal .

"WinWin" - You must work in IT like me.

How about "We are where we are"?

Made we laugh!!!. Last time they re-organised us (or should that be re-messed us up!) the boys printed off that very saying uttered by a manager and stuck it up on the wall in foot high letters. The joys of being based at a sewage works in the middle of nowhere (no managers ever come to see us, don't know why?) so we can get away with taking the mick.

Alyn James

Please forgive the tangent, but I've just read that William Rushworth has been appointed as Solo Horn at Grimethorpe.
I met the guy in the warm-up tent at Butlins last year after I spotted the neat little rotary valve gizmo he's added to his horn. I had no idea who he was and there wasn't a hint of ego as he explained how the valve converts his horn into a D instrument. I later watched his fingers at RAH where he put on a great show for Desford on Daphnis, switching from Eb to D horn with ease and style - the guy's a legend.
Good Luck to all at Grimethorpe, I'm sure there'll be a Nationals win before the end of the decade.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.