"Grimethorpe Colliery Band in danger of folding" ?

Can't see Grimey struggling to beat the likes of Flowers, Redbridge and Desford at Butlins, but I suspect it's just not worth the risk to their reputation of not winning if they entered butlins - despite the cash on offer. Also, if just one of the big boys enters a contest like butlins it would probably be viewed as a cynical cash/pot-hunting expedition. Can we not (perhaps with the help of the forum administrators) set up a paypal or giftaid donation thingy on here, so we can make individual donations to help Grimethorpe. I know it's not a time of year when folk are feeling flush, but I bet if everyone who posts/reads tmp were to give whatever they can spare we could save Grimey for us all to enjoy? There must be loads of old instruments rotting in bandrooms up and down the country - if each band were to ebay just one and donate the cash to Grimethorpe it could make a real difference.

Here's an idea, why don't Grimethorpes bandsperson pay subs like the rest of us do to do our hobby? We couldn't even afford to buy the cast off basses last year from one of these top bands.

Laserbeam bass

If Grimey want to make some money, they could always off load a couple of basses. I would take them off their hands with a price based on depreciation according to use. As they have been used about 180 times in the last year, I would offer £1K for a BBb, and £500 for an EEb. As they now have a relationship with Besson, surely it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that Besson would supply some new instruments.

On the flip side they could always keep the same instruments for double the normal life span. Maybe this would save them £30K+ in a year?

GJG

£55k of which is attributable to Black Dyke and Cory! (figures in year to 31/12/2011)

'Course, if it were a real-life business, they could simply "down-size" ...

Dyke 10-piece, anyone ... ?

JimboFB

Can't see Grimey struggling to beat the likes of Flowers, Redbridge and Desford at Butlins, .

Oi oi - cheeky! From my humble memory the last contest we took part in, Grimethorpe didnt even qualify. Oh and btw we placed higher than Dyke and 5 other bands who were at the time of the contest ranked above us. So, dont suppose they wanted to risk their reputation in London either.

If you'd like to set up a direct debit to my band as well, we'd gratefully accept all your hard earned cash also.

Chris Hicks

Can't see Grimey struggling to beat the likes of Flowers, Redbridge and Desford at Butlins, but I suspect it's just not worth the risk to their reputation of not winning if they entered butlins - despite the cash on offer.

I think you're only allowed to borrow 4 players though for the butlins contest...

It's all a stunt to try and get the Government to cough up some funding for brass band's, Grimethorpe will not be folding. I don't blame them for trying this though it's about time it got raised as a major issue. People are absolutely correct in thinking the ''snobbier'' academies/royal opera house which only usually benefit the better off get all the funding. About time this changed.

trumpetmike

People are absolutely correct in thinking the ''snobbier'' academies/royal opera house which only usually benefit the better off get all the funding. About time this changed.

It is cheaper to get Royal Opera House tickets than Grimethorpe tickets.
Next time they are playing near here all tickets are the same price - quite a bit higher than some of the tickets you can get at the Opera House.

grausue

It is cheaper to get Royal Opera House tickets than Grimethorpe tickets.
Next time they are playing near here all tickets are the same price - quite a bit higher than some of the tickets you can get at the Opera House.

That's because the Opera House gets funding. Oh, and they don't have to shell out for a separate coach for their female members. Sorry.......... member. ;)

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.