Greatest Cornet Solo EVER!!!!!!!!

beard_4b

Personally i dont think anyone writes cornet solos like salvation army composers. name 1 non-army solo that beats golden slippers, or 1 that matches the technical demands of joyous song.

Golden slippers is the best cornet solo ever! :twisted:

BigHorn

Don't know if it is a generally available piece, but I have a recording of Roger Webster doing 'Whirlwind'. I haven't heard any cornet solo much better.

PeterBale

Staff member
Another one of my favourite SA cornet solos is Life Abundant - written by Robert Redhead for Derrick Diffey, who was also the dedicatee of Golden Slippers.

leisa

i like Silver threads amongst the gold don't know who rote it though i love golden slippers!!!

Cantonian

BigHorn said:
Don't know if it is a generally available piece, but I have a recording of Roger Webster doing 'Whirlwind'. I haven't heard any cornet solo much better.

Whirlwind is a Peter Graham composition. It is based on tune used in the S.A. ( maybe one of Peter's own).

ploughboy

I have to lean towards Napoli, not the most difficult to play but great tune and well done variations!!

johnflugel

Best cornet solo?

'Recent' - Jubilance for Cornet & Band by Bill Himes
Been some great performances of this but I heard Phillip Smith do this with Dyke and he was awesome - another good one of a Canadian Trumpeter Bob Venables playing it with B&R

'Old' - Glorious Fountain - David Dawes has made this his own, those who have heard him play it will know why!!

John

Maestro

One SA cornet solo is in my mind, but I cant remember the name of it. Apparently only David Dawes plays it in it's original form. I think it might be Clear Skies....over to you please Mr Bale

leisa

Nadia said:
leisa said:
i like Silver threads amongst the gold don't know who rote it though i love golden slippers!!!

Billy Rimmer wasn't it?

Don't know the one roger webster plays is arranged by Boddington but it doesn't say who roteit

johnflugel

The published version of Clear Skies is a toned down version of the original version. David Dawes has recorded both with the ISB.

Lovely solo!

John

PeterBale

Staff member
Maestro said:
One SA cornet solo is in my mind, but I cant remember the name of it. Apparently only David Dawes plays it in it's original form. I think it might be Clear Skies....over to you please Mr Bale

Clear Skies was originally written for Roland Cobb, father of the current ISB bandmaster, and it was felt to be too difficult in its original form, so Eric was asked to provide a slightly simpler version for publication.

I don't know about the change of key, but yes, David was the first to play the "original" version, newly transcibed; I believe that Roger Webster has also perfomed it since.

beard_4b

Peter Graham used to be a member of the New York Staff band of the salvation army so therefore constitutes a salvation army composer especially as the solos whirlwind and glorious ventures are based on salvation army songs.

and the fore mentioned solos: golden slippers, clear skies, the glorious fountain etc.... are all salation army solos and as yet there are no non-army solos that beat them - not even silver threads amongst the gold.

Maestro

beard_4b said:
as yet there are no non-army solos that beat them - not even silver threads amongst the gold.

A brave statement. Surely you meant to add that that statement was, of course, "in your own humble opinion".

It also seems to me that you are trying to say that their is a competition between SA and "outside" bands. Surely the SA put this speculation down when they made their music available to all.

Edit: Quote added (RT)

leisa

Maestro said:
beard_4b said:
as yet there are no non-army solos that beat them - not even silver threads amongst the gold.

A brave statement. Surely you meant to add that that statement was, of course, "in your own humble opinion

Edit: Quote added (RT)

yeh! i like silver threads amongst the gold and in my opinion that does beat some of em'!! but it's preference if everyone liked the same thing there would only be one cd with the same things playin over and over....
:wink: :)

beard_4b

I assure u! it is in my humble opinion, there is no competition, i just want to find out what people's opinions are on the matter!

beard_4b

The Fairly new army solos:

- Jubilance, Himes
- Joyous Song, Phillips
- Song of exaltaion, Bearcroft
- When I remember, Catherwood
- Life's Pageant, Camsey (similar 2, but better than zelda!)
- Trumpet Call, Bulla
- Blessed Assurance, Bulla
- Caprice, Himes