Grand Shield

Mike S

Looks like JAG Mount Charles are also in good form having taken the championship in the Wedst of England with Flowers only 6th

Mike S

Well Worth It said:
Time for Hepworth to reap the benefits of toil.
1st, 2nd and 3rd prize go to Hepworth?

I would suggest that Hepworth will probably find themselves out of their depth in this contest. On form there must be at least 8 bands better than them looking at the Yorkshire regional results where Hepworth compete and came 9th and the other area results showing strong form from the likes of JAG Mount Charles and Travelsphere

Well Worth It

Before deeming us "out of our depth", maybe you would care to assess the respective competition at the contests you mentioned. To compound your findings, maybe speaking to some of the people who were in the hall for the performance would be useful in addressing your doubts.
I would like to go into the contest as underdogs, but many believe it is Hepworth's year to shine.

nickjones

Ding Ding time out....

Blimey...why does the Grand Shield cause so many people to get upset , am sure all 22 Bands in the Grand Shield are there on Merit , and would not be there if they wernt good enough...to belittle another band and saying it's out of it's depth is not right and is just an inflames the situation. Hepworth have a right to be there.

Darth_Tuba

Mike S said:
I would suggest that Hepworth will probably find themselves out of their depth in this contest. On form there must be at least 8 bands better than them looking at the Yorkshire regional results where Hepworth compete and came 9th and the other area results showing strong form from the likes of JAG Mount Charles and Travelsphere

Just to point out that last year's winners were Carlton Main who had come 10th in the Yorkshire area just before. I don't think any of the bands can really be accused of being out of their depth!

tuba_latte

1 - Leyland
2 - Travelsphere
3 - Sellers
4 - Hepworth
5 - Rothwell Temps
6 - JAG Mount Charles

with

Stocksbridge
Newstead
Lindley
Glossop

dropping out to the Senior Cup.

Heppy

In 12 months, Hepworth have been out of the top 3 twice, out of eight contests. We qualified to be in this section and we'll have a good go at getting in the frame. Everyone can get a bad result. Whatever Mikey Boy.

NeilW

TBA for City of Oxford is actually Dave Richards (aka tMp's "davethetuba")

(probably unable to go myself, unfortunately)

Neil

impycornet

Mike..

Hepworth out of our depth ?? You being serious?

Let's just take a few hard facts.

4Bars Rest rankings--Band --BBW Ranking
31 (-1) ---Avely & Newham--- 25
37 (-)---Beaumaris---41
25 (-)---Besses---30
24 (-)---Desford ---21
41 (-2)---EYMS--- 42
28 (-)---Fishburn---19
15 (+1) ---Flowers---12
44 (-)---Glossop ---34
22 (+1)---Hepworth--- 18
45 (-22)---Skelmanthorpe ---26
20 (-)---JAG Mt Charles ---14
64 (-) ---Jaguar (Coventry) --- 47
85 (-5)---Kibworth ---n/l
10 (-)---Leyland ---13
90 (-4)--- Lindley---n/l
59 (-) ---Newstead Welfare ---n/l
40 (-2)--- Redbridge--- 35
34 (-2)---Rothwell Temps---38
12 (-)---Sellars --- 7
27 (-)--- Stocksbridge ---37
21 (-)--- Travelsphere---32
65 (+1)--- United Co-op York---n/l

So, if we go off the 4BR Rankings Hepworth are the 6th highest placed in the Contest ( and 1 of only 3 bands that have made a positive move from their previous placing)
Going off the BrassBand World rankings, Hepworth are the 5th Highest placed band in the contest.
Add to this the considerable amount of time and effort that has already gone into the piece (and the graft that will continue up until the evening before), and the quality of all the soloists around the stands. Then add the experience & confidence that our 2nd prize at the Scottish Open has brought.

Taking this all into account I find your remark about this band being out of its depth offensive at the vey least.

The top 3 on ranking should be leyland, Sellars & Flowers.
We obviously hope to upset that & sneak into one of the qualification spots.

Mike S

Oops - sorry. Seems I upset some of the Hepworth supporters, but that was not my intention. Hepworth are a decent band - but I was there at the Yorkshire regions and I know that Hepworth are a good band, but not up with the top six on that day. I know also that Hepworth have won many a contest over the last year or so, but against what competition? Anyway, the day looks set to be great and I will be there (but I will be going incognito just in case anyone is out for a confrontation over what I intended to be an innocent comment)

Good luck to all the bands!

KWiper

I had the pleasure of attending the Yorkshire Regionals this year as I have just moved up North. I have to say I was particularly suprised by the standard of playing from the Hepworth band. For me it was the only 'clean' performance of the day (apart from the obvious- YBS) and I listened to every band. Soloists were superb and you could tell this band really did work as a team.

I shall be there at the Grand Shield and will be extremely disappointed if Hepworth fall short of a qualification spot for the British Open.

Kidney,
Hepworths newest fan

impycornet

Mike S said:
I know also that Hepworth have won many a contest over the last year or so, but against what competition? Anyway, the day looks set to be great and I will be there (but I will be going incognito just in case anyone is out for a confrontation over what I intended to be an innocent comment)

Good luck to all the bands!

Mike,

Against what competition ?? We beat three of the bands that are at the Grand Shield in Scotland for a start. Including one of your tipped top 6 !

I look forward to meeting you in Blackpool for a discussion about how out of depth I am in this competition. (After all, I've only won 3 Europeans plus a bag full of other major competitions).

Cheers

deezastar

How do you spell "Sellers" band??

Is it Sellers (like on the web site and all the things the company owns)
Is it Sellars (like how loads of people spell it on tMP)
Is it Cellers (like nasty damp things that monsters live in)

Just a question.

Back on topic now.

Good luck to all bands competing especially the Hepworth people who are "out of their depth" despite being strong swimmers! You show those doubters what you are made off. Arm bands at the ready!! 3.....2.....1.....paddle!!!!!!!

johnflugel

impycornet said:
Mike S said:
I look forward to meeting you in Blackpool for a discussion about how out of depth I am in this competition. (After all, I've only won 3 Europeans plus a bag full of other major competitions).

I am taking a back seat in this argument but Rob: from what I can see, at no point has Mike S has suggested you personally are out of your depth, so a reminer of your achievements will not be required.

Should be a great contest, as I have already said I think that atleast ten bands (yes, including Hepworth) can justifiably be confident of achieving a top three spot - which in any other 'major' competition would just not be the case. Proves how tight the contest will be this year!

John

Well Worth It

Oh you have a couple of stars in Sellers band now?

Incidentally; does anyone have a mantlepiece that could take the Grand Shield?

johnflugel

Mine could for about 3 seconds before collapsing and thus destroying my nice fire place. Not the most practical of prizes!