Grand Shield

yr_epa

The good thing about the Shield is that there are so many good bands there and they all want to go to the best competition every year (The Open) as this is where all the top bands compete. The trouble with the Nationals is, you don't get all the top bands there (maybe 12 or 13 out of 20), but at the Open all the bands are top class bands with superb musicians!

Must thank jambo for placing us 6th, lets hope we can put a good performance in and push for a placing in the top 6! :D

Steve

Definately expect Rothwell, Leyland, Sellars, Travelsphere to be in the top places but not sure of the orders. If the sop's are in the spotlight I have to give my old lot a good chance cos Gary Fountain is awesome!!! Flowers are in with a shout and Hepworth are also a good outside bet. Desford....depends on how seriously they approach it i guess (no offence intended).

nickjones

well I know the Grand Shield is a difficult contest to qualify from , some good bands have dropped to the senior cup etc..can we leave the predictions to the adjudicators tho..
just a small note have Flowers sorted out a bass player for this weekends area? I know they were phoning round a few players on Monday.

Darth_Tuba

nickjbeaumarisband said:
well I know the Grand Shield is a difficult contest to qualify from , some good bands have dropped to the senior cup etc..can we leave the predictions to the adjudicators tho..

I would have thought the adjudicators do the results based on what they hear and don't do any "predicting" :? Also, why do you not want people to do any predicitons? It's just a bit of fun. Would you like everyone to sit here and discuss mouthpieces all day? No. Neither would I.

johnflugel

Darth_Tuba said:
nickjbeaumarisband said:

I would have thought the adjudicators do the results based on what they hear and don't do any "predicting" :? Also, why do you not want people to do any predicitons? It's just a bit of fun. Would you like everyone to sit here and discuss mouthpieces all day? No. Neither would I.

Hear hear! I would to say that if Beaumaris were being widely tipped on here for a top placing, Nick's tone would be very different :wink:

No offence intended Nick but lighten up a little - predicting is part of the fun. In my view, 10 or more bands within the competition can realistically fancy their chances of winning, which proves how tough the competition is. I am sure Beaumaris will be there or there abouts.

John

Ste69

Thank you John....That's exactly what I was getting at.

How many contests are there in the banding year where up to half the entrants can consider themselves a possible winner???

Like I said, having never been before, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Ginge

I would go for:

Leyland
Flowers
Sellers
JAG Mount Charles!!!
Hepworth
Besses

Probably completely wrong!!!

Darth_Tuba

Grand Shield is always really hard to call. Plenty of decent bands in there, including three area champs from this year at least (with one area left to play) and many bands who have recently beaten bands who are still in the Open. A really difficult test this year too, and soloist's performance on the day will be a major factor (especially sops and flugs). Also, with such a large field, the draw plays a major part. No-one wants to playing in the first 6 really. Anyway, won't do a proper top 6, but I expect the Open qualifiers to come from: Leyland, Sellers, Travelsphere, Hepworth or Flowers. I could list more actually, but it'd just be a list of all the bands :shock:

Be interested to see how bands in the senior cup get to grips with Journey into Freedom. To be played properly this takes a hell of a band still. Mind you, this is the route to the Open! :D

nickjones

hey no offence taken.....life's too short to worry about 15 mins on a contest stage..
My personal view of the Grand Shield is it is the most difficult qualifying contest , I have played at the Open ( 1993 ) and played at 1993 , 2000 , 2001 , 2002 ,2003 Grand shield contests.
everyone is entitled to make an opinion . I just think it's a bit early to make a judgement before you hear a band play.
ta

dyl

I'll post them about 9pm tonight Nick! ;)

Can we all get back to the point in hand now please - if you wish to make any predictions for the Grand Shield - by all means do so, if you don't then that's fine too! It's only a bit of fun at the end of the day!

dyl

Here's my attempt:

1. Leyland
2. Sellers
3. Redbridge
4. Travelsphere
5. Hepworth
6. Beaumaris

Darth_Tuba

nickjbeaumarisband said:
hey no offence taken.....life's too short to worry about 15 mins on a contest stage..
My personal view of the Grand Shield is it is the most difficult qualifying contest , I have played at the Open ( 1993 ) and played at 1993 , 2000 , 2001 , 2002 ,2003 Grand shield contests.
everyone is entitled to make an opinion . I just think it's a bit early to make a judgement before you hear a band play.
ta

People are making predictions based on current form and what they know is going on at certain bands. It is often interesting to see how these tie in with actual performances/results on the day. If you don't like predictions stay out of the thread. We all know the Grand Shield is the hardest qualifying contest around. That's because it's the qualifying contest for the biggest contest in the world, the Open.

Ste69

Arrrrrgh......It sounds a bit scary all of a sudden :shock:

I won't predict.... Need to do a bit more homework before that.

nickjones

No need to get all stressed over this...blimey charlie , I suggest yoga and some anger management classes..take a deep breath and count to ten Shrek..a
well form can go out of the window..bands can go up and down , at the end of the day it is 15 mins of great music , and three qualifiying places and some excellent bands.
Good Luck to everyone who is competing at the Grand Shield , senior cup and trophy.

dyl

Chill guys! In case you didn't see my message above, here it is again:

Can we all get back to the point in hand now please - if you wish to make any predictions for the Grand Shield - by all means do so, if you don't then that's fine too! It's only a bit of fun at the end of the day!

Now let's all think happy thoughts! ;)

Darth_Tuba

nickjbeaumarisband said:
No need to get all stressed over this...blimey charlie , I suggest yoga and some anger management classes..take a deep breath and count to ten Shrek..a
well form can go out of the window..bands can go up and down , at the end of the day it is 15 mins of great music , and three qualifiying places and some excellent bands.
Good Luck to everyone who is competing at the Grand Shield , senior cup and trophy.

I fail to see how I was getting stressed. :roll: I am well aware of how bands form can go up and down (we dropped out of the Open on our first contest after winning the Masters). My main point was, if your only point of a post in a predictions thread is "Why are you all making predictions?" then don't post at all. :wink: Anyway, I'm not playing this time around due to a wedding :( Oh well, I'm sure the hangover on the Sunday will be much the same! :D

supersplit

dyl said:
Here's my attempt:

1. Leyland
2. Sellers
3. Redbridge
4. Travelsphere
5. Hepworth
6. Beaumaris

Cheers dyl. Its nice to be so highly thought of.

Especially if I am right in thinking that there will be three bands go up into the Open this year. Did I hear correct?

Product tMP members are discussing