Gloating - When pride goes too far??

Hope I am not opening up a can of worms here...

I've just checked out BAYV Cory band's website and to say the least I found some of the comments/writing on there quite dissapointing. I am not reffering to the standard of journalism (that is very very good), rather the tendency within the articles to 'gloat' about being successfull as a band.

...Owen in the band, he is without doubt the finest horn soloist in the band movement at the moment. Buy As You View Cory Band will give him the time and space to develop repertoire and hone his skills as a professional musician’...

I really admire Cory and Owen Farr, and for that matter ALL of the bands soloists but am I alone in thinking this is perhaps a touch insulting to the other great horn players around today, to proclaim one person as the outright best?

Edit* - Summary - with all due respect to this great band, I felt a tad let down by the comments on the site that I saw to be imposing and written as if to force an opinion down on the reader.*

Does a band this good need to market so ferociously?

When does pride in one's band start to become a little OTT?

PM me for my entire (poorly presented) speel.

neiltwist

what are they supposed to say?

"...Owen in the band. He is possibly one of the best, but sheona wite is better. We couldn't get her"

[this is not my view etc, just using the example given in the last post]

and by the way, I'd be bragging if I'd came sixth at the euros

maybe "one of the worlds foremost players" they could say anything couldn't they? I just get a general feeling of imposed greatness from reading their stuff

Lauradoll

They are after all only one of Wales' top bands, not to mention one of Britains top bands. Have you ever heard Owen playing? I'm sure every band are proud of their players and I'd want to brag if I had players like that in my band too. (Not that I'm saying that my band has poohey players).

But if you think it's bad to brag about having amazing soloists within your band, so be it! :?

lynchie

the amount they charge to do a concert, they have to get people thinking it's going to be something very special. If they said "we're one of the best bands in the UK" or "our soloists are up there with the best" people just browsing, who didn't know a lot about brass bands might think "well who IS the best? Might as well go and see them instead..."

ScrapingtheBottom

I think it's interesting to see how the top bands sell themselves. You'll often find in music that the very top ensembles don't do big publicity (because people just know they are good), but the ones jostling to be up there with them are the ones who shout loudest. I guess coming from a classical background I find over-publicity and hype a bit distasteful, but if it gets you noticed and it gets you money then it's working - I don't think there is a better place to talk yourself up than your own website!

Personally though, I find modesty is one of the signs of true greatness.

Lauradoll

Australian Euphonium said:
I think most would probably agree that Sheona is probably well in front?

Na I'm not having that one. Sheona's been on the "circuit" a lot longer than Owen, cos she's older. Does that mean that she's considered better?? Obviously some people prefer Sheona over Owen, but I wouldn't say most.

Danny_L

neiltwist said:

....ah, but would you be bragging about coming 6th if you had expected to win the thing?

How bad was ya hungover that other Sunday Neil?....I suspect at least as much as James!!

:lol:

Lauradoll

Danny_L said:
neiltwist said:

....ah, but would you be bragging about coming 6th if you had expected to win the thing?

How bad was ya hungover that other Sunday Neil?....I suspect at least as much as James!!

:lol:

Who expected to win it? Cory played a blinder and they weren't the only ones gutted with the result.

nickjones

Cory have a great new solo horn player in Owen Farr , having heard him with Faireys , NybbW etc.....
Any publicity is good publicity...
well at the Euro's it wasnt what the judges were looking for..never mind they can alway try next year...still one person dont make a band..

PeterBale

Staff member
I think it's only natural for a band, or any organisation for that matter, to want to make the maximum impact when issuing press releases etc. After all, our heading at the toop of the page doesn't just say "a brass forum", does it?

I happened to be seated in front of some of the Cory folk in Glasgow, and in particular two of the representatives from "Buy As You View" themselves, naturally full of pride for what the band has achieved. They obviously have a very positive relationship that is mutually beneficial, but any sponsor is going to want to see that they are getting something in return for the money and resources they supply. This may add a little to the hype, but I don't personally feel they have gone "over the top", or that their statements are much different to those issued by other bands.

I reckon any band that is able to pursue such an enlightened approach to commissioning and programming new music, and adventurous concert planning and education work, is entitled to "blow their own trumpet" once in a while :wink:

Keppler

Staff member
I'm sure we're all guilty of being somewhat "sensationalist" when drafting press releases for our bands. If one was to look at some of our past ones, one could be forgiven for believeing us to be the formost musical organisation in the world, ever. It's standard marketing techniques - get people's attention, portray yourself in a positive light, and get excited about it. As long as you don't lie or slander someone else, it's all good.

Regarding your Cory example Aussie-Euph... in my own opinion, I think they are perfectly entitled to market themselves this way. Some people may not agree with it perhaps, but they're a class act, and I can't see any reason why they shouldn't revel in it a bit...

All the best to them...

p.s. If our band came 6th at euros ye'd all know about it ;)

Tuba Miriam

let a top trumpet soloist and the sixth best band in Europe knock your musical socks off!

There's a hint of irony intended here. Most people reading the Cory website are likely to be banders, who will be well aware of the controversy surrounding the European result; so to these readers the statement is intended as a humourous reference to this result whilst having a subtle dig.

This piece about the trumpeter Philippe Schartz will also be aimed at those non-banding musical enthusiasts that find the site, and to them it's making the justifiable claim that Cory is one of Europe's leading brass bands.

In short, this isn't arrogant bragging, it's a justifiable claim laced with more than a hint of irony.

missflugel

Im with Lauradoll on this one :wink:
I see no reason why any band shouldn't announce the signing of such a fantastic player.
Personally I dont have a problem with one of the top bands in the UK announcing such a signing and IMHO they have done it in a very professional manner.

Regarding the concert advertisement, again why cant Cory tell people of upcoming events. After all what they have written is fact anyway if not a bit tongue in cheek!!

Jo x

Heppy

I've just checked out BAYV Cory band's website and to say the least I found some of the comments/writing on there quite dissapointing. I am not reffering to the standard of journalism, rather the tendency within the articles to 'gloat' about being successfull as a band.

When a concert is given by a top class band over here, each one advertises themselves in a similar way. B&R are ' The World Famous', Grimey are 'The Best Band In The World' and so on. It's not being big headed, it's just true!

*bites the bullet* the overblowing in "Revelation" that they are at times a bit wrapped up in themselves.

Hang On A Minute! I heard Cory at Uppermill in Saddleworth and yes there may have been structural damage to the civic hall and yes the caretaker was sweeping lacquer off the concert stage at the end but I personally think it sounds class. If your going to have a go at playing loud, may as well do it properly! Nowt like a bit of balls!

johnmartin

Australian Euphonium said:

I've just checked out BAYV Cory band's website and to say the least I found some of the comments/writing on there quite dissapointing. I am not reffering to the standard of journalism, rather the tendency within the articles to 'gloat' about being successfull as a band.
I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion. If our band won sixth prize at the womens institute tune-a-day entertainment contest or whatever then it would be publicised like we'd just won the nationals. It's all about public image and how best to project a good one. Of course I could say I'm the best tuba player in Britain but true greatness is only acheived when acknowledged by your peers. Good luck to the Cory band, they are indeed a great band, nothing wrong with generating some good publicity.

ScrapingtheBottom

johnmartin said:
good publicity

Mmmm, regardless of whether you agree with Australian Euph's opinion, he does still have it. Is it such good publicity when a percentage of the people who view your site go away thinking you're a bit arrogant??? First impression count I guess.

Aidan

i believe that the 6th best band in europe comment was tongue in cheek as many had backed cory to win. Brighouse could have put "the 6th best band in the UK" on their website after coming 6th at the nationals.. but it just doesn't look good in my opinion! Out of the top bands, who would want to be 6th?