give blood today

super_sop

Supporting Member
Hi everyone, ive just been going through some of the threads in here and came across the 'our thoughts for little kerri' thread'.(if a mod could enter the thread details as i dont know how to :oops: )

EDIT by John: Here you go Craig ... http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=836&highlight=kerri

Iwas just wondering, as a few people had shown an intrest in giving blood, and joining the bone marrow donor list, if anybody had gone ahead and done this.

i thought id start this thread and give the web adress http://www.blood.co.uk/ of the national blood service, and remind everyone that they can help in some way.

its easy to do (and pretty painless :wink: )
the site gives out any info you might need including were you can go to donate

regards
super_sop

satchmo shaz

My husband, my brother and myself on on the bone marrow register, and I am waiting to become a blood donor............ can you see my halo........ no niether can I :wink:

HBB

satchmo shaz said:
My husband, my brother and myself on on the bone marrow register, and I am waiting to become a blood donor............ can you see my halo........ no niether can I :wink:

AS the old saying goes ..... "I saw this and thought of you", and we can quite clearly see your halo .... but just wait!

bat_angel.gif

AN ON TOPIC NOTE:

I was just wondering ... what is the youngest age limit you can be to give blood???

Ben :?

<pondering>

HBB

Well only 2 more years ..... Kerri's story really got to me, I'll be down there (if be it a bit scared!!!) ...

Ben

;)

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
homocidalbennyboy said:
Well only 2 more years ..... Kerri's story really got to me, I'll be down there (if be it a bit scared!!!) ...

Ben

;)

Hey Ben (& everyone who's interested)... you will be pleased to know that June (Kerri's Mum) played in contests both yesterday and today - dedicating her playing to her lovely son Kerri. She played a peach both times & deserves an award in my book.... :)

super_sop

Supporting Member
well i wont say it doesnt hurt, :?
it feels like a scratch as the needle goes in but that is only for a split second :D

you do get to have a drink and bicky after though :lol:

neiltwist

it's easy. you get looked after very well in my experience, and you do get the free drink. i've driven to and from each session so far, and i've been fine. go for it!

HBB

TheMusicMan said:
homocidalbennyboy said:

Ben

;)

Hey Ben (& everyone who's interested)... you will be pleased to know that June (Kerri's Mum) played in contests both yesterday and today - dedicating her playing to her lovely son Kerri. She played a peach both times & deserves an award in my book.... :)

Music Man It's nice to know that she can get through this tragedy, and although Kerri may not still be here, she can get on with her life, and know that he will be proud of her, and It's nice that she dedicated her playing to him. I bet she played excellently, especially as it was for Kerri, I second that award.

Craig I'm glad they still do the whole Tea and biscuit thing .......... I had 5 injections into my foot ... straight into the bone ... I think I can handle a little scratch! :D (and I had my meningitis, BCG, tetnus and Polio ...... (gross or what!!))

Ben

;)

Heather

I might as well give a plug for Kidney Donors then.
My aunty, who I was extremely close to, was with us for many extra years due to the kindness of a family who donated someones kidney after they had died.
Unfortunately she died 1 year ago due to something totally unrelated to her kidney trouble.
I know donating a kidney is a much harder decision to make than giving blood but it will save or, certainly, change someones life for the better.
Cheers!

NeilW

My next scheduled 450ml is on Tuesday afternoon...

I tend to have x1 - x5 out of the left arm and x6 - x0 out of the right: gives the veins a couple of years to recover! It really doesn't hurt - particuarly so for people who have "visible" veins in their elbows.

Best deal was when I was at college: pint of blood and they gave you a pint of beer, and boy did it "hit the spot"! (Note: nowadays they don't recommend this :( )

Cheers :)

stephen2001

NeilW said:
Best deal was when I was at college: pint of blood and they gave you a pint of beer, and boy did it "hit the spot"! (Note: nowadays they don't recommend this :( )

From past experience, it is not a good idea to drink after donating blood :?
Lets just say, the drink went to my head a little quicker than normal (but I suppose I spent less money, so can't complain :)

NeilW

Lets just say, the drink went to my head a little quicker than normal

That's EXACTLY what I meant by "hit the spot". One pint = distinctly merry".

I certainly wouldn't recommend driving or operating any serious machinary (Brass instrument?) in such a state.

Which is why it isn't "recommended practice" any more, I suppose.

Neil.

cornetgirl

I'm a blood donor but have been out of action for a year plus as have had surgery then had my ears pierced - should be ok from next month tho!

Rach x

mel

I give blood on a fairly regular basis, had to stop for a couple of years due to a major op, but back on the donor flow now. I hate needles but think its really important

stephen2001

Well I shall be going for the 1st time in ages on Thursday. :D
I will be nice and sober seeing as I am giving up alcohol for a fortnight as of tomorrow, due to exams :cry:

super_sop

Supporting Member
Hope nobody minds, but i thought id reserect this thread, mainly because i had my bone marrow doner card through today, and wondered if anybody else on here had done anything about either giving blood or joining the bone marrow doners list.

Over to you

Big Twigge

I joined the bone marrow register about 2 years ago now. I haven't yet been a match, but you never know who the next person on the register will be.
I'm a blood donor too and it really doesn't hurt, although it is important that you're hydrated and have had some food or you might end up flat out on the pavement of your local high street (didn't hurt at all except for the humiliation :oops:) that was after my second donation and since then I eat lots, drink lots and I haven't had any problems since.

As for getting biscuits, last year at uni if you donated you got a free tub of Ben and Jerry's ice-cream (a big one too, not just a teeny one!)