Ghosts........ do you believe in them?

Do you believe in ghosts?

• Total voters

Keppler

Staff member
What if I said "I don't believe in Complex Numbers", Daniel? ;)

It's just mathematicians making stuff up to get in the press..

asteria

Keppler said:
I didn't used to believe in them, i couldn't possibly believe in something called 'imaginary numbers', but then i had to work through the proof for 2 years :shock:

Seriously though, i'm a complete sceptic when it comes to anything without any kind of scientific basis, and i don't believe in ghosts at all. I never will until someone shows me some hard evidence, or grabs one and waves it in front of my face!

Not that i'm saying there's no afterlife type thing, i'm always pretty open-minded, but i don't believe ghosts/aliens etc would really waste their time prancing around for us to take videos of them! :roll:

I'd like to believe in ghosts - I mean have you seen the film Ghost? It's amazing and I'd love for it all be to real but having never experienced anything remotely ghostly - I'm not convinced.

Pythagoras

Keppler said:

It's just mathematicians making stuff up to get in the press..

:D :D Fair point but the difference is that Complex numbers are a mathematical construct. Belief or disbelief are irrelevant, i is defined as the square root of -1 and then every other complex number is derived from that. Similarly you could say that supernatural events exist if you take supernatural to be defined as ' as yet unexplained and unproven' (Not very well explained, bit rusty on my complex analysis and proof)

Also complex numbers have many proven applications whereas the only application of ghosts is scamming tourists.

Once read that 'if it can't be expressed in numbers its an opinion not a fact.' and can't off the top of my head think of any exceptions to this.

Sorry for the really sad posts. How do you get the 'nerd' emoticon?

Keppler

Staff member
alright then Daniel.

here's a number for you..

Ghosts => Scamming Tourists => lucrative millions in revenue....
:D

sounds better than root(-1) to me any day..

bigmamabadger

Keppler said:
alright then Daniel.

here's a number for you..

Ghosts => Scamming Tourists => lucrative millions in revenue....
:D

sounds better than root(-1) to me any day..

Ooh, you old cynic you :wink:

Never seen a ghostie, but have felt randomly cold/scared/sad in places. Although I am very auto-suggestive.
BMB
xx

mad_female

Hi All

When my grandad was a child (he's 76 now) he lived with his family n the Shropshire/Montgomeryshire border. The family worked as farmers and maltsters and spent a lot of the week working the heavy horses.

To get to some of the fields they had to negotiate a steep hill but for some reason they were unable to get the horses or dogs to use the road and had to walk up the hill through the adjacent field. When they were about 10 Grandad and his friend decided that unlike their fathers etc they were going to brazen it out and walk up the road.

About half way up the road they suddenly heard screams and saw a young girl dressed in rags running down the hill towards them. They dived through the hedge and turned around in time to see the girl run past with a legion of roman soldiers chasing her at the bottom of the road they vanished. :shock:

The road forms part of an old roman road and Grandad swears that he thought it was almost as if he had seen an echo of a past event.

Over active imagination of 2 ten year olds or history repeating itself????

hmmm who knows but I have to say I believe that there is another life beyond this and that there are probably other forms of being such as "Ghosts" or "Angels"......just keeping an open mind.

Just my 2p

Rhian

Mad_female or Mrs Bagpuss

ju33les

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I don't like anything that puts the willies up me!! :roll:
As for getting the spooky feeling...you should try walking around a women's prison at night!! SCARY STUFF!!!

drinkalot

I believe in ghosts, I saw my Nan, and I was sober and wide awake, I was in bed, it went really really cold, and when i turned over she was just sort of in front of me!!!!!!! Weird, didn't really believe until I saw it for myself. Wasn't too impressed, quite freeky really. :?

Dave1

The first house we lived in after we were married had a small box room which we used for practicing in. One day the dog went barmy and ran up to this room. The pictures on the walls were all squint and moved and the metronome was banging out 140.

The guy who was in the house before us had committed suicide and blew the house up. We started practicing downstairs after that.

Once we had children everything stopped - maybe it was just my playing he didn't like

Okiedokie of Oz

Kari Anson said:
I'd like to believe in ghosts - I mean have you seen the film Ghost? It's amazing and I'd love for it all be to real but having never experienced anything remotely ghostly - I'm not convinced.

you sound like my mother!!

Isn't Patrick Swayze such a hunk???? blechhh!!

I want to believe, I'd like to believe too that you can actually learn from ghosts, or help ghosts or interact with them somehow....

Ann-Marie

Dave1
The first house we lived in after we were married had a small box room which we used for practicing in. One day the dog went barmy and ran up to this room. The pictures on the walls were all squint and moved and the metronome was banging out 140.

It is well documented that dogs (and other animals) are much more perceptive when it comes to ghosts.

My Mum rediscovered her camera at the beginning of the week which she had taken photos with whilst we were at Dudley Castle last September. I haven't actually seen the photos yet but she said there is 'something' strange at the side of me on one of the photos. The photo in question was actually taken near a wall that was apparently the site of executions. In this area (before being told this fact), I had felt a little breathless and needed to sit down so its all very strange. I am going round to my Mum's tonight so will see the picture for myself :shock:

Pythagoras

Ann-Marie said:
Dave1

It is well documented that dogs (and other animals) are much more perceptive when it comes to ghosts.

My Mum rediscovered her camera at the beginning of the week which she had taken photos with whilst we were at Dudley Castle last September. I haven't actually seen the photos yet but she said there is 'something' strange at the side of me on one of the photos. The photo in question was actually taken near a wall that was apparently the site of executions. In this area (before being told this fact), I had felt a little breathless and needed to sit down so its all very strange. I am going round to my Mum's tonight so will see the picture for myself :shock:

Has anybody asked a dog if they've seen a ghost?

horn1

I've always kind of believed in ghosts but never really seen one until recently. The pub I used to work in was rumoured to be haunted but I'd never seen anything, then one day I was down in the cellar bottling up when I got the feeling someone was watching me. I looked up and there was someone at the top of the cellar steps, I went back into the pub to see who it was but there was nobody in the pub at all! Also when I used to go down the steps into the cellar I'd always get the feeling that I was going to fall, kind of like I was be pushed or pulled. After the first few steps it was fine. Apparently lots of other staff had had the same feeling! :shock:

Ann-Marie

horn1

I've always kind of believed in ghosts but never really seen one until recently. The pub I used to work in was rumoured to be haunted but I'd never seen anything, then one day I was down in the cellar bottling up when I got the feeling someone was watching me. I looked up and there was someone at the top of the cellar steps, I went back into the pub to see who it was but there was nobody in the pub at all! Also when I used to go down the steps into the cellar I'd always get the feeling that I was going to fall, kind of like I was be pushed or pulled. After the first few steps it was fine. Apparently lots of other staff had had the same feeling!

Very spooky - which pub was it? I notice your live local to me, would be interesting to visit if it's a local pub

Oh aye! My daughter from the age of about 2 was talking to people in our house. We've been in the castle for almost 4 years. The castle was once an orphanage and a nursing home. My kid's bedroom used to be the boys dorm. and once before my son was born my daughter got a fold up bed and laid it out on the carpet in her bedroom. I asked why she was doing this as she had a perfectly comfy bunk bed to sleep on. She said, 'but mummy, can't you see there's two boys in the beds? John's here on his holidays and his arm is resting on the side of the bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'. I was completely freaked out. I asked her if she was ok and not scared. She said she was fine. I however, was hyperventilating.

People who stay here either love it or hate it. The present owner stayed just one night and refused to stay again. In fact, when he visits he never comes in. :shock: