Getting Into Championship Section Bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amgray

I STILL maintain that it is how good a player you are not just who you know. Knowing Jo Bloggs doesn't help if you can't play the parts.

I knew no-one when I got my break into Championship banding, Adrian Hirst (Bass Tbn Black Dyke) was playing in the 3rd section when he was persuaded to join Yorks Imps in 1988. Five years later he was at Dyke and has been there since.

Given that there would seem to be fewer players around now than in 1982 it should be no more difficult to get into a Championship band than when I first did it.

Given the number of good teachers around who know what they are doing there should be no reason for not getting to the standard required - if you are willing to work hard.

The number of players in the "Championship Pool" can only be maintained by new (non-known) players entering. Do the practice, have confidence in yourself and try and get to audition for places.

Don't use the "who you know" argument instead of "I don't have the Cojones to try".

Danny

Hiya

Something has been missed from this discussion. You need to work out what you want from your playing, is it a social hobby or do you strive to better your personal playing?

Players who play in top bands have a different attitude and look for different enjoyment from their banding. You often find excellent players in lower section bands that would not like the pressure and commitment expected in higher standard bands.

You will definitely see an increase in your playing standard if you join a top section band and are constantly playing with players of a higher standard than you.

Just my thoughts

drummerboy

That's very true Danny. No point going to play for a championship section band if you haven't got the dedication and ability to constantly improve.
If you like banding as just a hobby, and you like stretching yourself, but not too much, then maybe top level banding isn't for you. But if you like being stretched a long way, and want it to become more of a hobby, then go for it. There's only one way to really find out.

MoominDave

NeilW said:
Incidentally, if anyone who plays cornet or trombone wants to play in a Championship band... my .sig says where we are :)

Well, if you ever need a dep - your bandroom is not much more than walking distance from my house (Temple Cowley, yes?). Happy to play any Trombone seat, but might struggle a little with anything above 2nd Cornet...

dave_cornet

so if your playing rep or front row in a first section band, you should be capable of playing for a championship section band (at the lower to middle end, i dont mean dyke or YBS)?

MoominDave

There's no magic jump involved in the move to lower-to-middle-end top section banding; you just have to be prepared to take things a little more seriously than before. There are many players even in the 3rd and 4th sections who could make a success of a top section seat.

IanHeard

Majoresteve said:
I think the time has come! I think i am ready to play with a champ section band, and this is something i really want to do.

So how do you go about getting in? do you have to audition?

Although I have never played at the highest level, it occurs to me that to play for a top band you must display the following traits-

An ability to extract extortionate amounts of money from an amateur hobby and then bleat about the pathetically low amounts of prize money at our major contests.

Also it helps that once your band loses it`s lucrative sponsorship deal ( and with it your retainer) you leave citing one (or all!) of the following reasons-
I felt it was time for a change.

My love affair with the motorway is over.

It is time I put my family first.

It`s time to concentrate on my ever burgeoning Solo career.(Real or imagined!)

I disagree with the current path the band is following.

I`ve played at the top for years, I need some time off.

......or sod this, I`m off..no pay..no play! :wink:

Ian H.

drummerboy

kirmat said:
Although I have never played at the highest level, it occurs to me that to play for a top band you must display the following traits-

An ability to extract extortionate amounts of money from an amateur hobby and then bleat about the pathetically low amounts of prize money at our major contests.

How much do you want to win?!? And in my experience, no one bleats about the money, more the actual achievement.

kirmat said:
Also it helps that once your band loses it`s lucrative sponsorship deal ( and with it your retainer) you leave citing one (or all!) of the following reasons-

I'm sorry, this is nonsense. Staffordshire lost their sponsorship a few years ago but didn't have a mass walk out.
And I don't get a retainer to play, no one does. It's simply wrong to assume all top bands pay retainers.
Whilst I can accept that you haven't played at the highest level (for whatever reason), I think comments like this are plain stupid, even if you are 'having a laugh'.

amgray

kirmat said:
Although I have never played at the highest level....

Well your "experience" puts into accurate perspective the validity of your views.

The title of this thread is "Getting into Champoinship Section Bands" not "Bibbling from a position of complete ignorance".

IanHeard

amgray said:
Well your "experience" puts into accurate perspective the validity of your views.

The title of this thread is "Getting into Champoinship Section Bands" not "Bibbling from a position of complete ignorance".

Get over yourself!

The majority of bandspeople who enjoy our hobby and also use this forum don`t play with top bands and have no burning aspiration to do so.
I agree that my previous posting was a bit flippant and I am sorry that I`ve upset your "top player" sensibilities.
I will continue to use this forum in my own way, despite "elitist nobodies" like yourself!

Good luck Steve on your search for a band and I only hope that whatever band you decide to join, they possess a sense of humour!

Cheers
from "bibbling" Ian Heard

Accidental

Supporting Member
... and be prepared for people to tar you and the other 300-odd top section players with the same negative brush based on their perceptions of the behaviour of just a few individuals, in the name of humour! :wink:

Aidan

kirmat said:
amgray said:

Get over yourself!
you big hypocritical woman... sorry if i offended the women...
im sure i've said it before in this thread but there is no real money to be made simply out of playing in a top band. Why do people like you have this image of all top band players raking in the mula... :?: :!: and then, acting on their missinformedness (woo new word), or complete ignorance (you be the judge), then have the superciliousness (great word!) to accuse them all in general of being money grabbers who have no love for their hobby on here!
at least andy could get over himself if the need arised, you would most probably land on your head as it seems to be your centre of gravity.

PeterBale

Staff member
I'm going to lock this thread as we seem now to be just going round in circles, and any useful advice relevant to the topic in hand can still be found here.

PB, Mod

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

Status
Not open for further replies.