getting back into playing.....

sparkling_quavers

Not strictly brass but:

I used to play the piano up to a decent standard up until I went to University. I used to play an hour or so every day and have lessons with a private tutor. I gave up playing (bah the occassional dabble during holidays) as I couldn't really get access to use one. I haven't really played at all since leaving University even though since moving in with my bf I actually have a piano in the house (as his mum used to play). Over the last year I had a dabble about 3/4 times but jsut been so demotivated as I was so terrible :cry: I know alot of people have posted on tmp about getting back into banding- with banding you have the social side and team building aspects to help you get back into playing- but I don't have that with playing the piano.

Any advice?

twigglet

I'd just start by buying some nice music, something that you can sing along to while you're playing, thats always fun...and then when you are back into it you can get out the Rakmaninov :twisted:

I know exactly what you mean though, I haven't played for ages, just doesn't give me the same kind of buzz as banding, its a shame...

groovy

Thats like my mum.....She used to be grade 8 on piano but fizzled out, although we have a piano in the house. She enjoys accompianing my brother and I on our solos though, so why not find yourself a bander and a good brass/piano duet?
Also as twigglet said, some nice music that you can have fun with :D

Lauradoll

Find a piano teacher and find something to work towards, eg ABRSM exam. You'll be surprised how motivated you become! My piano teacher is fantastic and I think she has found the meaning of the saying- patience is a virtue!!!!

horn1

I used to play piano a bit (I didn't get too far though), now I'm a music teacher I really need to be able to play. I keep thinking about lessons but don't know any decent teachers. Anyone know of any around the oldham area?? (they'd need to be patient, very patient!!)

drummergurl

Lauradoll said:
Find a piano teacher and find something to work towards, eg ABRSM exam. You'll be surprised how motivated you become! My piano teacher is fantastic and I think she has found the meaning of the saying- patience is a virtue!!!!

u doin any grades then miss??

Vickitorious

I've been playin piano for about 6 months, and I never used to like it until recently. But then, I played music which I could play which made me want to play more things, and now I like playing it a lot, but I haven't actually got a piano, only a keyboard, so I struggle when I go to my lesson! :cry:

TuTuKu

Both the orchestra and the wind band at my college have piano players, and i think the county youth concert band has one - not sure if this is the norm or not, maybe that's a possibility!

MoominDave

I'd recommend some simple accompanying, if it's motivation you're looking for. You have to practise it in order not to look like an eejit, and you get the satisfaction of a joint performance. Also, I find that it is much less nerveracking than performing on your own, because you are concentrating on making the performance as good for the soloist as it can be - there's no room in your head to worry about messing it up.

Dave

Naomi McFadyen

I started learning piano when I was about 6... was on and off with it for about 6 years... got into playing other instruments, so the practise time with the piano dropped a lot... I used to be quite a good player... but now I can just stomp out chords and very basic piano tunes...
I'd like to get back into playing piano proply again... but, like you SQ, it is a confidence thing... I tinkle on it every now and again, but don't really have the time to practise on a regular basis... hense no more improvement.

Just go for it mate... I'm sure you'll get back into fairly quickly :) if you can record yourself playing, do that... then you can listen to how good you sound on tape!! :lol:
Good luck with it...

;-)

sparkling_quavers

thanks for the suggestions....... am tempted to find a local teacher (so if anybody has suggestions- traffordish area, manchester). Unfortunately am too old for youth bands :lol: The idea of accompanying could be a good idea..