G Trombones and High Pitch Cornets

Valvecap

Dont know if this belongs in "rehersal room" but still...

Driffield Silver Band had a mass clean out last night and found (amongst other things) 2 G Trombones (complete with extender slides) in perfect condition, along with 6 cornets - some "Solbron" and some that are so old that they are manufactured by "Hawkes and Son" (pre boosey) - all in high pitch i think...

They are all in perfect nick and some of the engraving needs to be seen to be believed...

QUESTION - what are these things worth, are they of any use to a brass band (is there for example a solo for G Trom and Brass Band???)

Best thing we found was the Bass Drum manufactured for the Nafferton Silver Band (which went defunct around the turn of the last century and became Driffield Silver) (its out 175th Anniversary this year) - we have seen the Drum in a number of photos going back to the turn of the last century, but never found it - was at an elderly member of the bands house who sadly passed away... Would not like to try marching with it - its nearly as big as an orchestral bass drum... made out of wood. Weighs stacks!!!!!!

What do other bands do with old instruments like this??? There are the options of selling the instruments, but its heritage as well isnt it???

PeterBale

Staff member
There appears to be a lot of interest in the G trombone at present, and providing they are in good condition I'm sure you could find buyers for them.

As for the drum, it would be a tragedy if it were not to be preserved somewhere or other, either on display in a bandroom or local museum. I also know of a few instances where side drums have been made into occasional tables, but it sounds as if your one would be rather large for that :!: :lol: :lol:

Valvecap

Both the Troms are in Perfect condition - and one has some amazing etching on it....

The Drum is in very good condition with intact skins and rope work - may even still be playable although i dont think i would like to now... Have scored car alarms on the march before but i think that might set off a house alarm!!!!!!!!

NeilW

Some "high pitch" instruments can be converted with extensions to the main tuning slides and pulling valve slides out a bit: one of my euphs (a Boosey & Co) had this done before I got it and it works well enough (as well in tune as most others...).

Some main slides may even have enough range to get down to CP without extensions...

If they're in good condition, it might be worth cosidering...

Neil

Cantonian

It's probably not of much help to you but at the Rhondda Heritage Park they have several Bass drums fron Salvation Army Corps unfortunately now closed down.

neiltwist

I'll give you a tenner for the two G troms :wink:

but seriously, if you could take any pics or a price or something, I may be interested in one of the troms.

neiltwist said:
I'll give you a tenner for the two G troms :wink: .

I'll make that £15

neiltwist said:
but seriously, if you could take any pics or a price or something, I may be interested in one of the troms.

You could have 2 buyers on your hands already!!

MoominDave

£20?

Details would be nice. If there is one with a thumb valve to D (unlikely on a band instrument, I know), I'm *very* interested.

Didn't William Rimmer write a solo for G Trom - 'In Cellar Cool' - lots of drunken sliding around?

Dave

Keppler

Staff member
no, it's a cornet pitched to a tuning standard higher than A440 as they were pre-1960's

PeterBale

Staff member
Keppler said:
no, it's a cornet pitched to a tuning standard higher than A440 as they were pre-1960's

...and I thought it meant the one they threw onto the roof after too many split notes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keppler

Staff member
which would be about right, given that the frequency interval between two semitones is given by

F_higher = F_lower(the 12th root of 2)

Naomi McFadyen

so it's for players who are 3/4 tone flat compared to the rest of the band then :p ie: sop players!? lol!
;-)

just kidding folks! No hate mail please :p;-)