Funny things - Mobile Phones at Concerts

Di B

This is true and I found it so amusing I thought I would share it.....

Last night our band did a job for a local charity who had raised a lot of money to buy equipment. Our job was to play incidental music before and after the announcements/speeches etc.

In the middle of the speeches a prayer was read, followed by The Lord's Prayer.

When The Lord's Prayer was nearly at an end a mobile phone went off (fortunately not a band members!) which would usually be embarrassing at least.

However, the ringtone on this phone happened to be the theme from the exorcist.......

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jo Elson

Reminds me of last year. Our band always does a rememberance concert each year, an in rehearsal in the church eric smith off radio shropshire was reading about the war and the music shingler's list was to be played in the background-making it even more moving. But luckily this was a rehearsal as instead of shingler's list coming on the great escape did instead!

TIMBONE

I know I am sidetracking a little, but it is the subject of embarrassing things at concerts. I was once conducting a gala concert at the Parr Hall in Warrington. We were starting with the National Anthem. Our first piece was the Second Suite in F by Holst. I had completely forgotten about the National Anthem. Fortunately, the band had not. I set my gaze on the basses, brought down the baton with gusto, and heard a drum roll!

Okiedokie of Oz

At the Australia Day performance earlier this year (my first as conductor!) we were requested (as always) to do Advanca Australia Fair. The singer, a woman who does it regularly, had had a run-in with the last MD over the key our arrangement was in; and so came up to me 10 minutes before she was due to sing and said "I can't play with you guys, I brought an accompanist." Fine, I went back to to the band.

Unfortunately, there was so much noise from the crowd that the band couldn't hear me. So resorting to gestures, I reached into my conductors folder, where the scores have been photocopied for wind-resistant page turns, pulled it out, and held it up. The universal signal for "take out this piece." So they did. I then flapped it, shook my head, and ripped it up, right there on the stage. The band was shocked, but caught my intent, and moved to the next piece.

Five minutes later, the singer came back and said "Can I sing with you? My accompanist just got stage fright...."

mikelyons

Supporting Member
Our headmaster is not universally loved! :shock:

At one of our presentations this year, he and a number of dignitaries were to walk in to some suitably formal music, played from a CD.

As it happened, the technician in charge pressed the wrong button and the tune that ended up being played was the Imperial March from Star Wars. The effect was even more impressive because the silly little man insists on wearing his academic gown to these functions.

Even the inanimate objects can't stand the man, it seems! 8)

PeterBale

Staff member
TIMBONE said:
I know I am sidetracking a little, but it is the subject of embarrassing things at concerts. I was once conducting a gala concert at the Parr Hall in Warrington. We were starting with the National Anthem. Our first piece was the Second Suite in F by Holst. I had completely forgotten about the National Anthem. Fortunately, the band had not. I set my gaze on the basses, brought down the baton with gusto, and heard a drum roll!
Our Bandmaster had a somewhat similar experience at one of our "Last Night of the Proms" concerts, only in reverse :!:

We were closing the concert, as usual, with the National Anthem, only in Frank Wright's arrangement, preceded by a fanfare. Unfortunately, our percussionist had missed the previous rehearsal and had forgotten we were using that version, coming in with a roll instead :oops: :shock: :wink: