Funeral Music

Accidental

Supporting Member
I've just been reading thwe old posts on the worst pieces thread and seen a few comments about Hootenanny.... I' actually played this at a funeral (well, the memorial concert afterwards) a few years ago and it was fantastic - totally in keeping with the character of the guy we were there for, made people smile, and imho was a great way to remember him.

So... what do you want played at your funeral?

Maestro

When I go, one of the hymns I want played is 'Up From The Grave He Arose'.

The main piece I want at my funeral though is Dean Goffin's 'Light Of The World'.

Naomi McFadyen

hmmm, haven't really thought this far ahead...

But I don't want a big fussy funeral when I go.
Just cremate me and have done with it...

;-)

PeterBale

Staff member
Naruco said:
hmmm, haven't really thought this far ahead...

But I don't want a big fussy funeral when I go.
Just cremate me and have done with it...

;-)

It'll have to be the immolation scene from the Ring then :wink:

leisa

How great thou art or shine as the light or on a happier note windows of the world hehe

lynchie

I want star wars played at my funeral, and my wedding, birthday and any other occassion, with a really loud, fat bass section and bass trombone... :D

Big Twigge

not sure about mine but at my grandfather's funeral earlier this year we had the whole of Northern Landscapes, the first two movements as people came in and the last two as we went out of the crematorium.
It was lovely.

Di B

That song if I can remember my childhood was either sang/quoted by the fantastic Spike Milligan.... either that or Harry Secombe during the Goons... funnily enough its a song I often associate with my own life :wink:

The Cornet King

People can play Nimrod for my funeral from Elgar's Enigma Variations...might as well get a few people crying :wink:

And on my gravestone i want the words

"I told you i was ill!"

:D :wink:

Maestro

I'm going to be buried at sea, then everybody who has crossed me will be told that they can dance on my grave :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MartinT

Di B said:
That song if I can remember my childhood was either sang/quoted by the fantastic Spike Milligan.... either that or Harry Secombe during the Goons... funnily enough its a song I often associate with my own life :wink:

Which one, "I'm walking backwards for Christmas"? :)

There's another one with some very silly tuba noises in it, but I forget the title.

asteria

At my funeral I want 'Get Happy', none of your mournful rubbish! No no, i'm serious, and everyone who isn't in band uniform has to wear something bright and colourful.

I like the Irish tradition of having a party afterwards, yes funerals are emotional but it should be a celebration of somebody's life and a reflection of who they were as a person.

andyp

MartinT said:
Di B said:

Which one, "I'm walking backwards for Christmas"? :)

There's another one with some very silly tuba noises in it, but I forget the title.

I'm sure that's the "Ying Tong Song" (ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong iddle I po.....etc).

another gem (or two);

Spike: "The orchestra will now perform a recital by page nine"

Secombe wanders onstage and grabs the book from Spike..

Secombe: "Paganini you fool"!!

Secombe: "What are you doing in that grand piano?"

Milligan: "I'm hidin' "

Secombe: "Don't be silly, Haydn's been dead for years!"

BigHorn

Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings ( The Choral version)
+ Awaken by Yes
Although I like the idea of going through the curtains to the furnace accompanied by 'Smoke gets in your eyes' or 'Fire' by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. :D

cornetgirl

I'd like the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony and Eva Cassidy's Over The Rainbow during the service. Then at the crem I'd like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -no idea why - and The Lord Bless You And Keep You by John Rutter which is lush. So note that down in case I peg out sooner than I hope!

Rach x

Straightmute

cornetgirl said:
I'd like the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony and Eva Cassidy's Over The Rainbow during the service. Then at the crem I'd like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -no idea why - and The Lord Bless You And Keep You by John Rutter which is lush. So note that down in case I peg out sooner than I hope!

Rach x

OK I'll order the music. No CG arrangements???

D