Full Rehearsals???

Di B

Bands are known for having at least one player not being at a practice near enough every practice you have (expect maybe for the very top bands!) This can be due to work, illness or laziness.... it still leaves you without a full band!

Has/did anyone here manage to get a full band at any rehearsal before the contest?

Do higher setion bands find it easier to turn out a full band the week before the contest? (In my own experience genuine reasons still prohibited the band from having a full band!)

Currently playing in the fourth sections I was astounded and amazed when a week before the area we had a full band at rehearsal. I really cannot remember the last time I have been in a band that had a full band for a contest rehearsal prior to the night before a contest hence this question! :)

Cheers

Aidan

we normally have a full band at most rehearsals... we have a chart on the wall of the bandroom so u can put down when you're not going to be there, and we just get a dep in for the rehearsal, simple... :D but if you dont turn up for rehearsals before a concert or contest, you better have a bloody good excuse for it :wink:

BoozyBTrom

I think most bands even the top ones will struggle with full rehearsals. What with shift workers and getting babysitters and the like.

satchmo shaz

I must be lucky! I get very good turn outs, some people in my band will do owt to get to band (me included)...... my horns are amazing, they just turn up to everything....... even ALL the sectionals, mind you I dont think any of them have a TV at home :lol:

Di B

satchmo shaz said:
I must be lucky! I get very good turn outs, some people in my band will do owt to get to band (me included)...... my horns are amazing, they just turn up to everything....... even ALL the sectionals, mind you I dont think any of them have a TV at home :lol:

Your solo horn player spends most of her time working, ordering kebabs for her other half or making lovely wine! (you willahve to ask her about the time I went over.....*grins*)

Di B

Nadia said:
we normally have a full band at most rehearsals... we have a chart on the wall of the bandroom so u can put down when you're not going to be there, and we just get a dep in for the rehearsal, simple... :D but if you dont turn up for rehearsals before a concert or contest, you better have a bloody good excuse for it :wink:

Intereting to get a dep in... do you pay them or are they friends? Is is a combination?

Do you do this before a contest too? Are you worried that (for example) a soloist may come and help you and gain insight from your ideas?

Jsut being nosey!!

Aidan

Di B said:
Intereting to get a dep in... do you pay them or are they friends? Is is a combination?

Do you do this before a contest too? Are you worried that (for example) a soloist may come and help you and gain insight from your ideas?

Jsut being nosey!!

yeah just normally friends, our conductor also conducts st. helens youth, so we sometimes have some of their best players depping in a rehearsal. Good for everyone i spose
not really done it before a contest.. we sortof have for the areas, had some recent concerts and a listen to the band recording in the last couple of wks, where we had a dep or two, and we may have done prague at the end of a rehearsal or something. But if they wanted to copy us, id see it as a compliment more than anything else... as long as we did it better :wink: or it would be war :)

WhatSharp?

No full band yet... we got a week to go.... I think our conductors gonna have a nervous breakdown soon ... :(

Still could be worse (well for me anyway) we could be doing Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms, I understand all the local institutions are getting filled up with Sop players at the mo (not to mention the smell in the toilets before hand) :lol:

Anyone know what Passacaglia means anyway? personally I reckon it's Bavarian for "Expiration of the small high noted one".

HBB

In answer to Steve!

WE HAVE NOW FINALLY HAD A FULL TURN OUT - wahey!!!!! (bet its the only one before the contest thought :(:()

HBB

WhatSharp? said:
Anyone know what Passacaglia means anyway? personally I reckon it's Bavarian for "Expiration of the small high noted one".

Hey, the penny finally dropped - Ha ha ha - I didn't realise I was this slow, I thought you were being serious Steve!!!

Heather

We do quite well for rehearsals. When we know there's a contest coming up we all do our best to get to rehearsal.
We've been nearly full (just 1 or 2 missing) for a while. A couple of our band have jobs where they have to work nights (policeman, paramedic) so they've got no choice to miss and everyone understands.
We're at band tonight and there will definately be a 100% turnout.

HBB

Heather said:
We do quite well for rehearsals. When we know there's a contest coming up we all do our best to get to rehearsal.
We've been nearly full (just 1 or 2 missing) for a while. A couple of our band have jobs where they have to work nights (policeman, paramedic) so they've got no choice to miss and everyone understands.
We're at band tonight and there will definately be a 100% turnout.

Do you live in a special world where everything that SHOULD happen does?????? How do you manage to do that - we ususally have at least 4 or 5 missing!

Heather

No, not at all!!
I'm talking about before contests.
There are times when we have that many missing too, but to be honest not that many.
I do have to admit though that in all my years of banding this band has the fullest rehearsals.
I think alot of it has to do with our conductor. He understands people can't be at every rehearsal and you aren't scared to tell him you won't be there!(as has happened in a previous band!!).
Because of this, I think people really make the effort TO BE THERE!
I hope this doesn't sound like double dutch!

HBB

Heather said:
No, not at all!!
I'm talking about before contests.
There are times when we have that many missing too, but to be honest not that many.
I do have to admit though that in all my years of banding this band has the fullest rehearsals.
I think alot of it has to do with our conductor. He understands people can't be at every rehearsal and you aren't scared to tell him you won't be there!(as has happened in a previous band!!).
Because of this, I think people really make the effort TO BE THERE!
I hope this doesn't sound like double dutch!

I mean - in your band - is it the same people who constantly DON'T TURN UP, and they don't even bother to tell our MD, Now I think that that is wrong - not even phoning - or EMAILING in a technological world, don't ya think :?:

Heather

No , its not.
We all have our fair share of missing rehearsals. Its unavoidable sometimes but I would say there is nobody in our band who takes advantage.
By the way, have you had nothing else to do today?
You must have broken the record of number of posts in one day!!

HBB

Heather said:
No , its not.
We all have our fair share of missing rehearsals. Its unavoidable sometimes but I would say there is nobody in our band who takes advantage.
By the way, have you had nothing else to do today?
You must have broken the record of number of posts in one day!!

I was going to do my GCSE MUsic stuff - but I thought -"Nah, can't be bovvered!!!!", so I thought I'd waste 4 hours on here!

I realise that missing rehersals is unavoidable, and I didn't mean to be abrupt :p:p:p, the trouble is, in our band there is - I guess it must be a "London" thing! :D:D