Full Rehearsals???

Heather

I'm sure its not just confined to London!!
Perhaps if you ever change bands it will be different.
Hey, get your schoolwork done!

HBB

Heather said:
I'm sure its not just confined to London!!
Perhaps if you ever change bands it will be different.
Hey, get your schoolwork done!

Thats the trouble with "being brought up in a band". I've been in this band for 6 years now - so I haven't known any different. Perhaps when I go to Uni, or summink like that I may get a taster of the differences in style eh!

and I am (well I'm being made to) doing it today, or I'll probably fail!!! :shock:

PeterBale

Staff member
It appears that, for better or worse, the days of the dictatorial MD have gone forever. I am told on good authority that when Albert Chapple had City of Coventry band there was no question of missing a rehearsal. He also ran City of Coventry B band, and the B band players were also expected to turn up to the A band rehearsals. If the appropriate A band player was not in his seat at the starting time, the B band player would step in, and may well then retain the seat! It certainly led to competition for places, but eventually caused problems when the B and was at the stage of winning promotion to the top section themselves.

It amazes me to read accounts of players in any band consistently missing rehearsals without letting anybody know. I was always taught that it was common courtesy to give the bandmaster advance warning if you are unable to attend, and if something crops up at the last minute it should still be possible to get a message through to someone. With changing working patterns I am sure it is a lot harder for bands than in the past, as we tend to commute much more than previously, and so many are expected to put in long hours with much travelling around the country. In my band there are a number of us who have to come straight from work to practice, and it is rare to be able to start with a full complement.

In general, I don't think any conductor will complain too much if he knows a player is fulfilling their commitment to the best of their ability, but we all have to be wary of not over-committing ourselves to too many things. As for players who fail to appear, or only turn up or the "big" occasions, I am sure we are better off without them.

WhatSharp?

homocidalbennyboy said:
In answer to Steve!

WE HAVE NOW FINALLY HAD A FULL TURN OUT - wahey!!!!! (bet its the only one before the contest thought :(:()

No we didn't... One percussionist was absent.... DOH!

HBB

WhatSharp? said:
homocidalbennyboy said:
In answer to Steve!

WE HAVE NOW FINALLY HAD A FULL TURN OUT - wahey!!!!! (bet its the only one before the contest thought :(:()

Almost full then!!! :D:D

WhatSharp?

homocidalbennyboy said:
WhatSharp? said:
homocidalbennyboy said:
In answer to Steve!

ermmmmm.... hmmm....... well steve, you know what I'm thinking :p:p :roll:

Nope. Not sure I want to either.

well we never did manage a full band before the area. Even at the contest as our timp player was ill and we had to borrow one from the band before

WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? said:
homocidalbennyboy said:
WhatSharp? said:
homocidalbennyboy said:
In answer to Steve!

ermmmmm.... hmmm....... well steve, you know what I'm thinking :p:p :roll:

Nope. Not sure I want to either.
.. and stop editing your posts :evil: :D

HBB

*Snip* Massive quote edited out... Neal

THat's what the button's there for:p:p:p:p:p:p Ner Ner na Ner NEr ;) See ya tonite!!

Nat

rehersals

we usually dont have a problem with players at rehersals until th week before the contest when people have to work also because we have to change the practices around because of bandrooms :roll:

hornblower

We have had full rehursals pretty much in the run up to the contest.

normally we have a full price on a monday and then less on wednesday.

think we should all be proud of the effort we have put in recently!

i will say though that as a fourth section player i feel that this is my hobby, not a profession, therefore if there is a work commitment or a family commitment that is important it has to come before the band.... :?

Keppler

Staff member
3 nested quotes I can handle... (just) especially when there are intermediary posts..

4 is over the top.. ;)

Relax Ben.. I don't have an agenda here...

HBB

Calm Down Neal!!!!!

I know I may not have sounded it, but I was joking :lol: :lol:

I know I like pressing the "Quote" button, and Its quite fun all the patterns you make.

See Ya

Beb ;)