Four Troms - YBS @ the Europeans

craigster

My brother-in-law came over to the house last night with his new CD of the European Championships in Glasgow and we had a good listen to some new music and some great playing. Fantastic stuff!

It caught my eye that in the picture of YBS on stage in the CD insert they had four trombones. Now 4 trombones is fairly standard for Salvation Army bands (the ISB and CSB being current notable exceptions with just three men each) and due to most of the SA composing it can be difficult to cover all parts without having four players.

It is, however, quite rare for me to see one of the big name contesting bands with a fourth bone. Does anyone know why YBS had the fourth? Was the fourth used during the test pieces or just during the concerts?

A more general question - does this mean that new composers are writing for four trombones or did YBS just want the extra meat on the night?

Thanks for indulging me!

Craig
CSB & MTB

MRSH

Supporting Member
From what I understand Philip Sparke wrote Music of the Spheres specifically for YBS and included a 4th trombone part.

YBS decided to use the 4th trombone in the St Magnus performance 'cos they were there anyway. (Corrections coming if I'm wrong 8) 8) )

The Music of the Spheres that is being released to the 'general public' (I think has already been said somewhere here on tMP by Philip) is having the 4th trombone part re-scored in to the 'standard' band instrumentation.

MRSH

Supporting Member
MRSH said:
The Music of the Spheres that is being released to the 'general public' (I think has already been said somewhere here on tMP by Philip) is having the 4th trombone part re-scored in to the 'standard' band instrumentation.
There is a discussion (or at least part) on the 4th trombone part (and 2 flugels by the way) HERE

lynchie

That's the way it should be all the time! More trombones, less other people!

Anyway, I've noticed The Deep has sections for 4 of us!

nickjones

A lot of bands play extra players at the Europeans..
normally 1 extra trom , 1 horn , 1 bari 2 tubas , extra 3rd cornets and 1 extra on the solo cornet bench , it must have been discussed on another thread..
I think its a good idea , increased sound from the middle of the band and extra strength up top and bass end ( I know some bands dont need this ).
Its a shame we dont have this idea for competitions over here in the uk.

johnflugel

Willebroeak are a huge band - correct me if I am wrong but they looked to have (at the Euros) approx 6 basses, 10 on the back row cornets, 2 Flugels etc but still only three horns, two Euphs and Baritones.

WorldofBrass.com

johnflugel said:
Willebroeak are a huge band - correct me if I am wrong but they looked to have (at the Euros) approx 6 basses, 10 on the back row cornets, 2 Flugels etc but still only three horns, two Euphs and Baritones.
3 x BBb and 2 x EEb on the DVD. In Montage, one EEb looked like there wasn't enough room for him as he wasn't anything like in line with the rest of his mates. Maybe they weren't his mates and that was the issue! :?:
Stavanger had 3 x BBb and 3 x EEb in the Thursday night concert but I don't know if they all played in the contest as I didn't get to hear them play.

Jan H

Staff member
johnflugel said:
Apicture from Glasgow is on the front page of their website. There are three 2nd cornets and three 3rd cornets, 5 basses and indeed 2 flugels.
Sometimes at concerts, I've seen them with 6 basses. But as far as I know, they normally only have one flugel horn, who I happen to know quite well because she is from the same village as I am :)

Aidan

vice european champions :)
hehe nicely put.
we played an extra solo cornet, trom and 3rd cornet in glasgow

nickjones

I know vice euro champs....very nice..I thought you could get arrested for vice offences , aslo have you seen the pictures of the Band....Jack Black ( school or rock , shallow hal and tenatious D on Eb tuba)
Lets Rock!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Jan H

Staff member
Nadia said:
hehe nicely put.
Hmm, in Dutch "vice kampioen" means the one that was in second place, behind the real "kampioen" (champion). The Willebroek webmaster translated this litterallly into English.
I think you can find more examples of this on their website. I know that during the European Championships, the Belgian participants for the solo competition published a diary on the Willebroek website, also in Dutch and translated almost literally into English. That was quite funny...

PeterBale

Staff member
Nadia said:
hehe nicely put.
we played an extra solo cornet, trom and 3rd cornet in Glasgow
And wasn't there a second flugel in "Music of the Spheres" :?:

Didn't you also use two flugels on "Concerto Grosso" (before your time, I know :oops: ) :?:

Anonymous_user

Four Troms-YBS at European

We did use four troms at the European, the extra drafted in for the Spheres was Becky Smith. She also played on St Magnus because the rules state you must use the same people for both own choice and set test. It would have been a waste of talent so why not use her!

Two Flugels in Spheres....Yes but no rep part.

All within the rules I might add

timps

jan_h said:
johnflugel said:
Apicture from Glasgow is on the front page of their website. There are three 2nd cornets and three 3rd cornets, 5 basses and indeed 2 flugels.
Sometimes at concerts, I've seen them with 6 basses. But as far as I know, they normally only have one flugel horn, who I happen to know quite well because she is from the same village as I am :)

I just looked at their site, and for some reason under the All England Masters news they have the prospective line up and they have Dyke listed as Black Dyke Brass Band Burger!!!!!! Where does the burger come in, do they all eat too many burgers or something?!?!?!