Formula 1

Doesn't anyone see Formula 1??
Poor poor McLaren Mercedes. Think they have the worst season ever... Lucky I'm a Schumacher fan 8)

What do you think?

T-Horn

yeah. It's a bit of a shame that he seems to be running away with it though. Would be a bit more interesting if the other teams were init, Williams and McLaren Mercedes. Jenson button driving well though :!:

Straightmute

Great to see Jenson and BAR doing well. Don't write off McLaren just yet. They are a big team and the car is an innovative and experimental one; I'm sure that in time they will become a very strong force again, hopefully in time for the Belgian GP in Spa because I've got tickets!

D

T-Horn

Strightmute you lucky bugger, I would love to go see a race but it's expensive on a students wage right now.
Will have to wait till I get a proper job

Straightmute

T-Horn said:
Strightmute you lucky *beep*, I would love to go see a race but it's expensive on a students wage right now.

It's expensive on a lecturer's wage too! But tickets are usually cheaper before the start of the season, and I'll be camping next to the circuit to cut costs too. Clever of me to persuade family and friends to have their summer holidays in sunny Belgium this year don't you think?

D

Big Twigge

ooo tmp is very sporting today!
Personally I think they should put Schumacher in a jaguar or something, maybe that would introduce a bit of a wider field!
Although was interesting today how for the middle of the race the cars were very much working in teams...2 hondas, 2 BARs, 2 ferraris (2 Mclaren retirements) all next to each other....The driver can only be as good as his car!
(well done Jenson though :) )

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Straightmute said:
Great to see Jenson and BAR doing well. Don't write off McLaren just yet. They are a big team and the car is an innovative and experimental one; I'm sure that in time they will become a very strong force again, hopefully in time for the Belgian GP in Spa because I've got tickets!

Yeah don't write off McLaren. You can bet they'll be working all hours back at the factory and the phone lines to Ilmor Engineering (engine suppliers) will be red hot too! If you ignore those bl**dy red things up front it's turning out to be an interesting season with some good overtaking. I think when the season comes to Europe Williams, McLaren and possibly Renault and BAR will start to challenge the Ferraris. Good to see Jenson driving so well and he seems like a top geezer out of the car too!

Wish I had tickets for the Belguim GP..............

Well, I don't think it would help any getting Montoya on the Mercedes team.... Sure hope they will do something about Raikkonen, he hasn't been so lucky this season...

paddo

Well i'm sorry but you could put a rabbit in the ferrari and he would win, the car is far out classing the rest.

For me Button is shining bright, so bright it's blinding. 3rd in the drivers champs, WELL DONE TO YOU MY BOY.

BAR are only going to get better.

How can anyone support anyone other than one of their own!!!!!!!

lynchie

ok so one and two were boring, but if we ignore them (like the tv directors seemed to! WELL DONE THEM!!!) then it was a very interesting race on a cracking new track! Well done to Jenson on his 1st place! :wink: :p

Andy_Euph

Must say that F1 is the most "boring" sport I have ever seen, watching 20 odd blokes drive the same few miles for 80 or so laps, the words would rather and watch paint dry spring to mind.

WhatSharp?

And I'm sure that they would be THRILLED with 20odd bands all playing the same piece to some poor guy locked in a box :wink:

I'm an avid fan of F1 have been since I was a kid, best experience was going to the Le-Mans 24 Hour, the race was only a small part of the fun, best bit was the atmosphere and drooling over the cars on the campsite!.

Must admit though it's got a tad tedious of late.

rutty

WhatSharp? said:
And I'm sure that they would be THRILLED with 20odd bands all playing the same piece to some poor guy locked in a box :wink:
LMAO! :D

I haven't watched it this season yet, but well done to Jenson Button. It's about time he started to show some of his early promise.

jambo

Its true, the ferrari's are taking the mick but, its only because Schumacher has built the car around him over the last 5 or so seasons to do exactly what he wants. Before then they were on their knees, even with Mansell driving for a season. Then it was all Williams and MClaren. Beneton had a good 2 seasons, why...same reason as Ferrari...that man schumi again.

In BAR and Jenson i think we will see a similar change of fortune. A great driver who knows what he want from a car and, more importantly, how to help the team get it. This is a trait held by all great champions in recent years, senna, mansell, prost, schumi and...in a few seasons Button. My only worry is that Frank Williams will recall Jenson to williams to replace Ralf when he sacks him this season, or at least at the end of it. I'm a Williams fan, but now would be wrong for Jenson, hes just got it hooked up nicely for a few cracking seasons ahead.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
jambo said:
even with Mansell driving for a season.

I had no problem with Mansell as a driver. My problems with him started when he took his helmet off and opened his gob!! :twisted:

andyp

F1 has gradually got more boring over the years, which is a shame cos I used to love it. Now I prefer bike racing because it is just that, racing, not "whoever's got the most expensive wind tunnel wins".
I think they should take the wings off the cars, but go back to proper slick tyres. Put the emphasis on to purely mechanical grip. There would have to be some regulation in shape to stop people using the whole car as a big wing, but allow enough aerodynamics to stop the cars taking off at high speed, maybe test the car in a wind tunnel and if it produces more than x amount of downforce at y speed it's illegal? That way cars could actually get close, rather than the processions we get now where the cars have to follow each other at a distance to avoid losing downforce, due to the 'dirty air' from the car in front.
Having said that, Schumacher would probably still win, as he is the best at the moment whether you like it or not!

akwarose

hmm, my dad watches f1. i dont mind, i'll sit down n watch it with him, i'm not as in to it as him though. have to say its a bit boring when schumacher wins every time, but i have to say, jenson button rocks!!!

and is quite good looking.............

2nd man down

Staff member
Yeah, I watched it. well most of it, it's certainly not as exciting as it was in the days of senna and mansell, but well done button, you're fair "zipping" along at the mo!! I wonder if there'll be a "catch"? Tho it has to be said the others looked like they were just "stud" compared to him.

Nigel Hall

Supporting Member
Given where I live (about 1/2 mile from the BAR factory!!) It's good to see the team finally pulling together - I bet Jaques "Gets on ya nerves" is kicking himself for his outrageous pay demands and wishes he could get his mitts on the current car.

Just a shame that Ferrari are so dominant as it makes for boring TV but you have to say that Shumacher M is the best driver (for a german!!!!)