Formula 1

twigglet

I think the battle this year will not be for the top spot, or maybe even second if Barichello keeps driving well, but for the third place in the races and championship. Here's hoping that Jenson Button keeps up his current form, go on my son!

eckyboy

To me its like watching my son play with his Scaletrix set,nothing ever seems to happen and the action seems so far away.It's starting to be as boring as watching paint dry.

Straightmute

eckyboy said:
To me its like watching my son play with his Scaletrix set.

That's funny, guess what I spent the day doing on this the first day of the school holidays...

We have an annual Scalextric Grand Prix at the bandroom when all the band petrolheads put their track together and stage a fundraising evening for the band - it's always a lot of fun, especially the final rounds when the ale kicks in.

D

stephen2001

I would love to see at some point how M Schumacher will do in a Minardi, and by how many seconds he would beat Baumgartner and Bruni by!

Also, why the Belgian Grand Prix? You only see the cars 44 times with it being the longest circuit on the calendar! If you go to Hungary, you can see them over 70 times :!: but I suppose just to get to an F1 race is worth it.

Finally, there is always a way around the reguations regarding the design of cars, and it is alway Ferrari that find the best solutions. They ultimately have the best brains in the business from the driving, manufacturing engineering etc, and it all gels perfectly together as a team.

McLaren are now well out of it and I seriously thing that they will finish 4th or 5th in the constructors depending on how Renault do and if BAR can keep up their form.

Straightmute

You could be right Steve... On the other hand perhaps McLaren have realised that only a totally radical solution will beat Ferrari. Innovation and risk go hand in hand and although their new engine/gearbox clearly isn't working yet it's only by pushing to the limits - rather than by a gentle evolution of old ideas - that they will ultimately win through. Ron Dennis only wants to win; for him the difference between second and fifth is immaterial. Can't wait to see how the new car develops over the season.

If you've seen the top drivers trying to take Eau Rouge flat then you'll know why I'm going to Spa! Sometimes it works...

D

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Straightmute said:
If you've seen the top drivers trying to take Eau Rouge flat then you'll know why I'm going to Spa! Sometimes it works...

Exactly why Spa is so great and Silverstone is so pants (IMHO). Don't believe what you see on the telly - Eau Rouge is much steeper and much tighter than TV makes it look. I can only imagine what an F1 car going full tilt though it is like.

*Note to self - must "do" the Belgium GP before the tobacco sponsorship issues kill off the Europian GP's* :wink:

stephen2001 said:
I would love to see at some point how M Schumacher will do in a Minardi, and by how many seconds he would beat Baumgartner and Bruni by!

put Michael in a Minardi and i wouldn't be surprised to see it beating the Jordans

jambo

WoodenFlugel said:
jambo said:
even with Mansell driving for a season.

I had no problem with Mansell as a driver. My problems with him started when he took his helmet off and opened his gob!! :twisted:

Read it again, it was a compliment to Mansell, i.e even he couldn't dig them out of the spot they were in. Although he did start what Shuey has finished.

Mansell was class!

Dave Payn

WhatSharp? said:
And I'm sure that they would be THRILLED with 20odd bands all playing the same piece to some poor guy locked in a box :wink:

I wondered how long it would be before sport and brass band contests got mentioned in the same thread.

As we (Fulham) are in the same area as Chelsea FC, perhaps we can persuade Abramovich to part with some dosh..... we've already tried al Fayed to no avail....... just so long as we don't get a player by the name of Duff!! ;-)

Only joking! (and sorry, got off the F1 topic). I must admit, I haven't watched it much over the last few years. Personal preference. So no comment!

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
jambo said:
Read it again, it was a compliment to Mansell, i.e even he couldn't dig them out of the spot they were in. Although he did start what Shuey has finished.
Sorry mate - mis-read the tone of that part of your post!
As I said Mansell was great to watch wrestling a car around a track but I just couldn't deal with his moaning when he got out!
It was great watching some of the Mansell / Senna (my hero) duels - unfortunately I'm old enough to have watched them first hand! :shock:
Things that stick in the memory: Mansell doing everything but drive over Senna at Monaco, Mansell picking Senna up after the race at Siverstone (and Senna kicking the marshal in the *beep* as he tried to get him off Mansell's car :lol: ) and the classic wheel-to-wheel braking duel, complete with sparks flying at Hungray (I think :? )

Somehow Schumacher overtaking Barrichello in the pit stops doesn't seem the same :wink:

Have to go now - starting to sound like a real BOC!!

WhatSharp?

The one that always sticks in my mind was Mansell outbreaking Senna (or was it Prost?) into the chicane at Monaco .. b*lls of Iron!

<edited cause I was being a bit rude :oops: >

Product tMP members are discussing