Former players

Have you ever played for Bestwood Band


  • Total voters
    105

sparkling_quavers

Active Member
After having numerous conversations at banding events recently it seems as if half the entire banding community played for Bestwood Welfare Black Diamonds Band at one time (well at least in the midlands area). Have you played for the band at any time. If so, who are you and when were you a member?
 

satchmo shaz

Active Member
hello me and my brother carl played for bestwood i have spent about 10 years there in total! carl also met his wife Elma there!......... many happy memories! I first joined about 1980 and stayed for 5 years the moved on. I went back in about 1988 ish and stopped for another 5 years!
 

Brian

Member
I first joined Bestwood Colliery Welfare "Black Diamonds" Band,( as it was then known) on April 2nd 1959, and remained with them for the most part till 1996...playing Euphonium, Eb Bass, Percussion,Bandmaster, Musical Director. Even when conducting other Bands, I still played for them, over the majority of the time..The Secretary in the 1950's and 60's (James Daley) had a favourite saying.." Once a Diamond, Always a Diamond", pity there isn't that loyalty in Banding nowadays...Brian
 

rutty

Active Member
I must be one of the few people in Nottingham to have never played with the Diamonds - hope it all goes well with their "resurrection". :)
 

lynchie

Active Member
I played for them last weekend! And I have to say they're a flamin lovely bunch of people! And very generous at the bar as well! I am most open to depping again if the need arises (and I'll try to work on my sight-reading ;))
 

Raspberry

Member
lynchie said:
I played for them last weekend! And I have to say they're a flamin lovely bunch of people! And very generous at the bar as well! I am most open to depping again if the need arises (and I'll try to work on my sight-reading ;))
We're very grateful you came to help us out at such short notice (less than 24 hours!), you're welcome to come to Notts again - and we'll certainly bear you in mind when we need a dep again!!!! Thanks mate!
 

Keith Stanley James Lever

Supporting Member
A friend and I helped Bestwood out on a number of occasions, last year, playing in the cornet section, in May this year my friend and I joined the band on a regular basis (only missing one rehearsal since we have joined) my friend joined the cornet section and I became principle percussionist and their composer in residence, they maybe only a struggling fourth section brass band but boy don't they know how to enjoy themselves...........
 

Keith Stanley James Lever

Supporting Member
Keith Stanley James Lever said:
A friend and I helped Bestwood out on a number of occasions, last year, playing in the cornet section, in May this year my friend and I joined the band on a regular basis (only missing one rehearsal since we have joined) my friend joined the cornet section and I became principle percussionist and their composer in residence, they maybe only a struggling fourth section brass band but boy don't they know how to enjoy themselves...........
By the way the name of my friend (and chauffeur) is Janet Garrett.
 

Well Worth It

Active Member
Not played with the band, but used to face stiff competition from some of the band's soloists at s.m./a.v. contests. Some fine players in their ranks.
 

postie

Member
I will certainly agree with S***ping and KSJL comments on the band bar the struggling bit!!!. Bestwood was a very famous band in the past and currently we are having a bit of renaissance under Brian Draper. Underpinning it is that we do have a very active social life as a band.
 

Pookiyama

Member
*raises hand in the air*

And a very accepting band as well... with a wide selection of music and...

*sees everyone looking at him*

...what?

*pause*

I'll go away now...

*slinks off*
 

Raspberry

Member
...plenty of players of 30 plus members, good social life, friendly band and the players all have a great love of music.
 

Keith Stanley James Lever

Supporting Member
Pookiyama said:
*raises hand in the air*

And a very accepting band as well... with a wide selection of music and...

*sees everyone looking at him*

...what?

*pause*

I'll go away now...

*slinks off*
Sorry 'POOKIYAMA' I haven't a clue what you are on about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

TIMBONE

Active Member
lynchie said:
I played for them last weekend! And I have to say they're a flamin lovely bunch of people! And very generous at the bar as well! I am most open to depping again if the need arises (and I'll try to work on my sight-reading ;))
Buy Lynchie a drink, and he will help you out anytime, buy him two, and he will help you out every time, buy him three, and you can't get rid of him!!! ONLY JOKING MATE, (I've only bought you one anyway, and that was when you were leaving lol).
 

Pookiyama

Member
Sorry 'POOKIYAMA' I haven't a clue what you are on about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, neither have I, really, but they are a very accepting band. I'm in the band and I can't play to save my life!

I do have to agree with Raspberry as well, the band all seem to have a definite passion for music burning in their black-diamond-hearted soul. Oh, the poetic muse.
 
Top