Foreign Tours

Where Have You Toured With A Band?

• Total voters

Wonky_Baton

Years ago bands used to tour abroad quite regularly and a lot of fun was had in the process. Wages are much higher nowadays so how come its just about stopped?? :(

I want our band to go to Estonia once we have found the money to buy new uniforms. Has anybody been abroad with a band and where would you recommend?? Has to be a balance between the the social side and the music.

Please not Germany, France or Holland cos I've done that. Scandanavia is out cos its a tenner a pint :shock: But any where else is cool 8)

Fishsta

And what's wrong with this nation? :D

No-one thought of touring Ireland or Wales? :D

I know, they already have bands, but I find it fascinating going to Newquay in Cornwall and listening to bands at Trenance Gardens there, the concert programme and style of playing is worlds apart from here "oop north"!

It's not necessarily a "better" or "worse" style... just different. Maybe it's their "easy-going" relaxed attitude (You can just imagine the next Malibu advert... :D)

There's a Thai takeaway near me, and the staff in there are DELIGHTED to see me come in carrying my instrument (once I had to play for my supper!), they've heard a few bands round here and think they're wonderful, and for the same reason that I describe about Newquay. If you want to have a good audience, I would suggest somewhere like that.

No idea what the cost is (although according to a magazine I read, beer is VERY cheap over there), but as a possibility, it's definitely worth considering.

Keppler

Staff member
<Puts on tourism hat>
Come to Ireland, we're great over here... :)

I know of several bands of various standards who have done the touring thing over here, and I believe all of them found it a positive experience.
Off the top of my head, I know that Fodens, Desford, Bon Accord, Gretton SB and Manx YB at least, have been around in the last couple of years.

Plus, with sterling strong against the euro, it's another bonus...

(and a real Guinness is €3, Wonky)

I wonder if I can get commission from Bórd Fáilte...
<Takes off tourism hat>

Wonky_Baton

No-one thought of touring Ireland or Wales?

Yeah I must admit Ireland appeals. How much is the cider cos I can only drink guinness and cider mixed 8) . Three euros sounds great. They reckon the Irish Guiness is lush.

, but I find it fascinating going to Newquay in Cornwall

Now this I am not sure about but if I am going to travel 7 hours I dont want to end up in Newquay no matter how good the concerts. The big problem is John Smiths. We would have a pint of John Smiths in Sunderland and then in Newquay go to a pub and guess what....John Smiths!! Exactly :wink:

Bulgaria 50p a pnt and a 3 course a la carte for 3 pound. I might even leave the instruments home at them prices 8)

Keppler

Staff member
Wonky_Baton said:
I can only drink guinness and cider mixed

!! :eek:

I don't know what the purists here would say to that!
Probably something on the lines of: "foreign people contaminating the black stuff.. "

amgray

Only problem with the poll is that once you have selected 1 tour region your'e scuppered if you don't clear your cookies out.
My list includes Western Europe, Scandinavia and Far East :cry:

Straightmute

I too have only just learnt that I have only one vote! Where's the democracy in that! :roll:

Harrogate Band went to Prague a couple of years ago (in preparation for next year's Areas!) and were met by interested and slightly bemused responses. Played at the Skoda Museum and the Staropramen Brewery. Prague must be beer capital of the world, it flows freely and very cheaply.

Also toured Scandinavia - the Danes in particular seem most welcoming of brass bands and again they know a thing or two about beer - the most expensive 'pint' I've drunk was in Copenhagen's Tivoli Gardens but fortunately it was someone else's round...

D

Wonky_Baton

Only problem with the poll is that once you have selected 1 tour region your'e scuppered if you don't clear your cookies out.
My list includes Western Europe, Scandinavia and Far East

:oops: Sorry It was the first poll i'd done. Change the question to the favourite tour you have made perhaps. Then you will only need one choice. Or get a mate to vote. 8)

Wonky_Baton

Prague must be beer capital of the world

This is winning so far, it sounds ideal :lol:

Played at the Skoda Museum and the Staropramen Brewery

I wouldn't mind the brewery job but a Skoda Museum!! Ha Way Man!! :p Wheres the street cred in that??. :eek:

Anyway how does a Skoda last long enough to go in a museum
, they look knackered when they r new :?

dave jake

The band will follow you anywhere Wonky[ even Iraq and Sunderland] but please, please not the Skoda museum :shock:

Di B

Couple of points here.....

First off... where to tour. The best banding tour I have been on/heard about was on one of the Greek Islands. One evening concert each day with the locals putting on a spread for us after, and the band took over a smallish hotel so you could be raucous and not cause offence! :twisted:

As for prices..... when I was there around £1.30 for fags and 80p for a pint of Amstel...... cocktails around £2.00

So.... cheap beer, free food, private premises, great company.... what more do you need? :lol:

Also, Matlock Band are looking at doing a tour of southern UK next year... not as exciting as going abroad, but still fun nevertheless. Oh yeah, if any southern bands read this and might be able to help with concert venues and/or accomodation drop me a line!

Di B

Wonky_Baton said:
8) :eek: :lol: :D You've convinced me Di-Greece it is!!!

lol! I doubt you will regret it - I have a lot of memories of that trip :oops: :oops: :oops:

Would suggest wherever a trip goes, it is the concerts that make the difference.... no one wants to do 2-3 concerts a day, but one is fine, and if supplied with a meal it is great! Just try to ensure that the band has plenty of sunbathing and beerbathing time and wherever you go it will be great!

Thirteen Ball

Keppler said:
!! :eek:

I don't know what the purists here would say to that!
Probably something on the lines of: "foreign people contaminating the black stuff.. "

Guinnes and cider's like cheaper version of black velvet isn't it? (Guinness and Champagne being the tradional and highly lethal version.)

I haven't toured anywhere yet, but I'm off to new Zealand with our band next year if all goes to plan!
:D :-D :clap: :bounce :metal: :guiness :woo

What gives away I'm excited at the prospect? ;)

Syrup

Straightmute said:
I too have only just learnt that I have only one vote! Where's the democracy in that! :roll:

Harrogate Band went to Prague a couple of years ago (in preparation for next year's Areas!) and were met by interested and slightly bemused responses. Played at the Skoda Museum and the Staropramen Brewery. Prague must be beer capital of the world, it flows freely and very cheaply.

D

If you are going to Prague, forget museums, visit a club called Goldfingers! Much more 'lively' but rather expensive (apparently!).

Seriously, Prague is a great place to visit, although not sure about banding over there.

Syrup.