Football Fans! (and otherwise, I spose...)

Just talking to some of the characters at work, and I've realised that, although I'm a major football fan and supported, I'm feeling a strangely high level of apathy towards the England international team. Euro 2004 just doesn't interest me at all, and I don't feel inclined to watch the games. During the world cup I was mad for it, but I'm just not bothered any more.

Anyone else having the same thing?
 

yorkie19

Active Member
Absolutely. I'm looking forward to watching the football but I'll watch any football match (I mean, I've even been know to watch the Conference games on Sky!).

I'm completely neutral as to who wins the thing, although I wouldn't mind seeing the Czechs do well. I have very happy memories from the Euro 96.
 

dyl

Active Member
Am looking forward to it - particularly now we've done the office sweepstake and I got France! C'mon Henry!!!!!! Vive le France!
 

Will the Sec

Active Member
Aha! One of the Four Noble Truths is revealed at last.

"Welshmen will support France if they get Thierry Henry in the Office Sweepstake."
 

Fishsta

Active Member
OK, sports fans... question time. Bearing in mind that these are written by a Rugby League fan, a supporter of a far superior sport... and also that I will laugh heartily at anyone who even gets ONE question wrong. I will add the next question when I see a correct answer.

1) When did England last win the World Cup?
 
yorkie19 said:
Absolutely. I'm looking forward to watching the football but I'll watch any football match (I mean, I've even been know to watch the Conference games on Sky!).

I'm completely neutral as to who wins the thing, although I wouldn't mind seeing the Czechs do well. I have very happy memories from the Euro 96.
Sam!!!!!!! what's all this?? I expect you to be supporting England not bloody Czechs, we'll talk about this on Sunday!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
 

Maestro

Active Member
Fishsta said:
OK, sports fans... question time. Bearing in mind that these are written by a Rugby League fan, a supporter of a far superior sport... and also that I will laugh heartily at anyone who even gets ONE question wrong. I will add the next question when I see a correct answer.

1) When did England last win the World Cup?
LAst year ( Rugby) or 1966 (Football) Take your pick mate :p
 

Trigger

Member
Yes I completely understand that feeling!! It's so strange, because I always get really excited about the football- Few of us meeting up, few beers and that, got my England shirt and I'm still not that excited yet. Is there less coverage on TV about it this year? I seem to remember there being much more coverage in past years. Or am I missing something? :? I havn't even heard a traditional cheesy football song that normally gets released?? :shock:

I'm hoping that once I start watching the game on Sunday and have a few drinks that I will get into it a bit more and start getting wound up and shouting at the TV! :lol:
 

Cornishwomble

Active Member
There are at least 2 cheesy songs released so far.
"Come on England" by 442 and Talksport which is basically the tune of "Come on Eileen" and the other one is "All Together Now" by The Farm.

It looks like the 442 one will be in at number 2 in the charts tomorrow!
 

Trigger

Member
Two songs? :shock: I don't know where I've been? Had my head stuck in far too many books, being a student and all! (Or maybe it was stuck in far too many pubs, but let's not split hairs!!) :lol:

I am actually starting to look forward to the game now- there is a chance of us winning ( :lol: )- remember France got knocked out quite early on in the last world cup. Don't think it was by us though! :? :lol:
 

super_sop

Supporting Member
on cd uk this morning they had 3 Enggland songs in the top 10, with the talk sport one coming in at number 2
 

Dave Euph

Member
Heh, I'm looking forward to Euro 2004, but being as I am a huge tennis fan I'm more worried it'll take away some of the usual Wimbledon slot ... which would I annoy me because I hardly get to watch any tennis nowadays!

Anyway, my opinion is England will not win. That won't stop me hoping, but I'm just going to try and enjoy the tournament, and maybe wear my England shirt ......
 

JessopSmythe

Active Member
Fishsta said:
1) When did England last win the World Cup?
If you're talking football, I believe it was 2002 or fairly close. I know you've posted the answer before somewhere but I can't be bothered to look. 8)

Was it the homosexual football challenge or something like that?
 

Fishsta

Active Member
Maestro said:
Fishsta said:
OK, sports fans... question time. Bearing in mind that these are written by a Rugby League fan, a supporter of a far superior sport... and also that I will laugh heartily at anyone who even gets ONE question wrong. I will add the next question when I see a correct answer.

1) When did England last win the World Cup?
LAst year ( Rugby) or 1966 (Football) Take your pick mate :p
Correct for Rugby Union, wrong for football!

JessopSmythe said:
If you're talking football, I believe it was 2002 or fairly close. I know you've posted the answer before somewhere but I can't be bothered to look. 8)

Was it the homosexual football challenge or something like that?
Well, my question was aimed at World Cups in general, but my next question was Football World Cup. Correct, it was 2000, actually, but just because you gave fairly near the correct answer, I'm going to let you have that one. Yes, we won the Homosexual Football World Cup in 2000.

Shows someone takes notice of me!

But how few people know that? I hate football, and I know it!
 

DublinBass

Supporting Member
Killer_Trumpet said:
I'm confused :? ... So, is your football the same as U.S.'s soccer?
Not exactly the same...they actually know how to play the game in Europe. Here in America, we just take a stab at it :D
 

neiltwist

Active Member
BBCbariUSA said:
Killer_Trumpet said:
I'm confused :? ... So, is your football the same as U.S.'s soccer?
Not exactly the same...they actually know how to play the game in Europe. Here in America, we just take a stab at it :D
although that depends on where you are in europe, some teams get dance and acting lessons outside of training I believe.
 
Top