Footaball?Ballfoot?Fatbool?Loafbolt?

TIMBONE

There seems to be a lot of stuff on here lately reffering to football. Surely, there must be peeps here like me who cannot stand the game. One of my worst experiences was my son becoming a supporter of "Manchester City" - he was such a good cornet player too. And what about the barmaid in a pub who doubted my manhood because I didn't know that there was a Manchester United match on, and that was why they were all in the vault.

akwarose

heh. dont worry. i dont get football, and the only reason i find it remotely appealing is david beckhams legs....
and how dare that barmaid doubt ur manhood!!!

Fishsta

Football is the most boring sport in the world, EVER.

In terms of football, my level of disinterest reaches so high, that I was once in a pub in Coniston with some friends who were watching the World Cup (1998, I think it was). It was England vs Argentina, I think, (Beckham kicked someone, I seem to remember there being a big fuss about it). Anyway, it went to penalties, and I really wasn't bothered about it in the slightest, and there were people trying to get a view of the telly. I told them to stand in front of me, but they seemed to think I wanted to watch the godforsaken sport. Eventually I got it through to them that I really couldn't care less who won or lost, and they took up my offer of a better place to stand and watch.

Another time, I'd just been to compete in an Amateur Rugby League game (away), and one of the lads asked me if I was watching the match that night. I said, "What match?" It turned out England were playing Germany or some other emerging nation. They couldn't believe I didn't know about it.

Football gets (undeservedly) more attention than any other sport, and I won't support it in any way. I find it quite amusing when newpapers call it "our national sport", especially seeing as the National Sport of England is CRICKET.

If you got asked in a pub quiz, when did England last win the World Cup, what year would you say?

Not counting last year's Rugby Union World Cup, then? :)

Yep, that's right, the last World Cup before that was football. In 1999, I think. When England won the Homosexual Football World Cup. Not much coverage given to that, was there?

Perhaps now they'll stop incorrectly referring to it as "The Beautfiul Game" and start giving its more accurate title, "The over-paid, over-rated boring game in which 90% of results are no-score draws."

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Fishsta said:
Football gets (undeservedly) more attention than any other sport, and I won't support it in any way. I find it quite amusing when newpapers call it "our national sport", especially seeing as the National Sport of England is CRICKET.

But we're even more pants at that than football!!!

Football does get way too much coverage in the media (IMO) and there are a lot of pundits / commentators who are up their own arse about the game. "Beautiful game" indeed :roll: - whoever coined that phase hasn't watched a 3rd Division match on a wet November evening! :wink: Having said that I do watch it, and do support England whenever their playing, but I wouldn't say I was a massive fan - coming from Leicester thats probably a good thing :lol:

...and anyway it's more interesting than F1 has been this year.....

Chunky

TIMBONE said:
One of my worst experiences was my son becoming a supporter of "Manchester City" - he was such a good cornet player too.

Am I missing something here? How does one effect the other?

Bryan_sop

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand the game, well if that's what you want to call it. Personally, I see football as a business rather than a game.

People look at me as if I'm wierd when I say I hate it! Why should I be interested in watching a bunch of blokes kick a ball up and down a field and getting paid more in a week than a lot of people earn in a year!

JessopSmythe

TIMBONE said:
There seems to be a lot of stuff on here lately reffering to football. Surely, there must be peeps here like me who cannot stand the game.

wav.gif

Thats why I was glad to see Parky leave the BBC after they gave his slot to match of the day. Maybe the beeb will start to realise that there is more to life than football. There was such a big fuss made about the world cup when something like 10 million people watched the England v Argentina match. What they failed to mention was that over 40 million of us didn't

TIMBONE

Chunky said:
TIMBONE said:
One of my worst experiences was my son becoming a supporter of "Manchester City" - he was such a good cornet player too.

It took over his life, and he didn't have time to play rep in our band anymore - the crunch for him was when the 'united/city' derby was on the same day as the areas in Blackpool.

Chunky

TIMBONE said:
Chunky said:
TIMBONE said:

It took over his life, and he didn't have time to play rep in our band anymore - the crunch for him was when the 'united/city' derby was on the same day as the areas in Blackpool.

See what you mean. I love both my team and my band, but how would I feel if Norwich were to play Ipswich on the day or our area contest..........
Isnt going to happen for a couple of years so why worry!

I have to say your son must have been very obsessed, I manage to combine the 2 without any problem.

Dave Payn

Nothing wrong with not liking football of course, but... this IS a 'Random chat and off topic' thread, so no reason for football fans not to discuss their feelings.

ScrapingtheBottom

Dave Payn said:
Nothing wrong with not liking football of course, but... this IS a 'Random chat and off topic' thread, so no reason for football fans not to discuss their feelings.

Well said that man.

I like watching sports generally, but I am not a massive fan of any (I like Rugby League the best). I do find real fanatiscism a bit strange, like my mate who goes to christie park (Morecambe FC's ground) everytime they are at home come rain or shine and then proceeds to whinge about how crap conference league football is. However in many respects it is just the same as how some people feel about banding.

What I do hate is people who assume that you are somehow intellectually impaired because you like sports.

Dave Payn

ScrapingtheBottom said:
Dave Payn said:

Well said that man.

What I do hate is people who assume that you are somehow intellectually impaired because you like sports.

Though to be fair, I haven't seen any of that here. If I did, I'd just reply with 'Ever heard of Dr Roger Bannister?'

ScrapingtheBottom

Dave Payn said:
ScrapingtheBottom said:
Dave Payn said:

Well said that man.

Though to be fair, I haven't seen any of that here. If I did, I'd just reply with 'Ever heard of Dr Roger Bannister?'

Just sending out the warning shots. Being a researcher I tend to get this a lot.

Keppler

Staff member
I can sympathise with some of the above...
Have lost count of the number of times I've been greeted with "Jaysus, de match is on..." and then had my patriosm questioned when I didn't know that some Munster Western Semi-Final GAA Hurling clash with Ballyboreen was on...

Am sure tis all very exciting. Just don't expect me to have much interest...

Big Twigge

Also not a football fan.I'll watch almost any sports and generally enjoy them, but football and speedway are definitly at the bottom of the pile :shock:

geordiecolin

I once ended up going to the Speedway World Cup by mistake. Don't ask me how.....

Sport for maniacs. Fast bikes with no brakes driving in a permanent powerslide. Mental

Big Twigge

geordiecolin said:
Sport for maniacs. Fast bikes with no brakes driving in a permanent powerslide. Mental
and then they have about 18 heats, numerous times a week. Daddy likes to watch all of them :evil:

geordiecolin

Big Twigge said:
geordiecolin said:
and then they have about 18 heats, numerous times a week. Daddy likes to watch all of them :evil:

And they're soooo loud. Used to be able to hear them in my house last year. all the way the from Hillsborugh, at least 2 miles away if not further.

Lothianh

Fishsta said:
Perhaps now they'll stop incorrectly referring to it as "The Beautfiul Game" and start giving its more accurate title, "The over-paid, over-rated boring game in which 90% of results are no-score draws."

From the sitcom "Sports Night", which was on a few years ago here in the USA:

"We'll bring you the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, and because we've got soccer highlights, the sheer pointlessness of a zero-zero tie."

That being said, I've actually become somewhat of a football fan in recent years. I go to one or two Chicago Fire games a year and catch the odd Premiership game on TV over here. My real sport affiliation, however, is *American* football. That's probably because I grew up in a football-mad college town with a population of 40,000 but with a big state university, a very good college football team, and a stadium that held 86,000 people...and which was sold out for every game. (The stadium has since been enlarged to seat 105,000.)

-Lothian