Flugel Horn Sticking Valves

KenIrvin

I have a fairly new Yamaha flugel horn (YFH631S) which is fine if I play it every day but if I leave off for a couple of days the valves stick almost to the point of jamming. I have tried using only Yamaha synthetic valve oil as supplied with the instrument, or Blue Juice valve oil, or just plain water, but none of these seem to work. ( I never had this problem with my cornet). As far as I can tell it is the valve guides that stick in the slot as when I unscrew the top cap the valves come up fairly easily.
I wondered if anyone else has this problem. Is there a known solution to the problem or will I have to change my routine to leave the valves lose after each playing session?
Any advice welcome

julian

I have a fairly new Yamaha flugel horn (YFH631S) which is fine if I play it every day but if I leave off for a couple of days the valves stick almost to the point of jamming. I have tried using only Yamaha synthetic valve oil as supplied with the instrument, or Blue Juice valve oil, or just plain water, but none of these seem to work. ( I never had this problem with my cornet). As far as I can tell it is the valve guides that stick in the slot as when I unscrew the top cap the valves come up fairly easily.
I wondered if anyone else has this problem. Is there a known solution to the problem or will I have to change my routine to leave the valves lose after each playing session?
Any advice welcome
Hi Ken, My wife has one of these although I play it occasionally now she is back on horn. The valves are great, but even when it was being played every day, before playing the valves needed wiping off and oiling. I think it's the price you pay for having such close tolerances on these instruments. But they really are great horns! It's good practice to wipe off valves and loosen caps after playing, as it is to run a pad saver type cleaner through the leadpipe. it stops the dreaded corrosion setting in.....

YES, definitely! I bought my YFH-731 new, and it would take no time at all for the valves to stick, due to the very close tolerances in the valve/bore interface. I had to remove the valves and thoroughly wipe them down, along with scouring the bores, followed by relubricating them at least once a day, and often twice, rarely three times. This was a daily routine for maybe a couple of months. Suddenly, after this period of time, the sticking stopped completely, and the valve action has been perfect ever since! Diligence and patience will reward you with spectacularly good valve action in the end. BTW - My YFH-731 has the best intonation of any horn of any type that I have ever played.