Female???

leisa

hiya :mrgreen:
was just thinikin before and theres not nearly as many "famous" female soloists as there is male i can think of: Sheona White, Helen Fox, lesley howie erm....... then im quite stuck

wheras male; Roger webster, ian Porthouse, martin winters, owen farr, brett baker, david daws, dave thornton, dave childs, nicholas childs, bob childs, joe cook, john doyle er...the list is endless quite frankly!!!

where are all the girls???

hehe discuss!!! :bounce :dunno :wow :hammer (i opnly just found theses emotians so excuse me, whilst i play with them)

The Cornet King

Well there's Kirsty Abbotts, principal cornet of Carlton Main...erm :dunno

Can't think of anymore.
Need more time to think about this :!:

leisa

oops id say bretts better mainly cos ive never heard the other guy!!!
(and bretts my teacher)

acnt think of any "famousd" female troms!!! or cornets there all on flugel or horn!!!! nooooo

Brett is as we know a world class player.

Maybe its just me - but I heard Chris Thomas solo, and I was so impressed - he was so precise, just as if he had valves on it.......for me, he is the best.

The Cornet King

CaharleyFarley said:
Maybe its just me - but I heard Chris Thomas solo, and I was so impressed - he was so precise, just as if he had valves on it.......for me, he is the best.

I'll have to nominate Simon Cowen for Best Trombone player (ex principal of YBS until a few months ago)
Cracking sound, amazing player and so blooming calm. Just amazing under pressure.

Good grief, even a topic about female players gets turned into a debate about blokes (only kidding).

I think there are loads of great female soloists, however admittedly the majority of banding idols are men, although this is changing. Look at Dyke. Michelle Ibbotson (sop) was nominated by many as the best soloist on Saturday. Lesley is great as is Morvern Gilchrist on front row.

At the 'co-op' we have Alison Bonnar on principal euph, Lyndsay Smith on solo horn, Caroline Tennant on Flugel Horn, Christine Millar (nee Withington) on front row, Caroline Munroe on Rep, Rona Chisholm on 1st Bari, and six other girlies in the band. Kirky have loads of girls. And it's not just a case of them being female, they are cracking players.

Lynda Nicholson has got an amazing record of being principal for Desford
when they won the Nationals 4 times.

Look at most top bands now and you will girlies playing stand up solos and band work and are (generally) not just seen as totty!

Not forgetting of course the principal cornet from Whitburn is Eleanor Ferguson. She has only been with the band for a few months so few people will have heard her but those that have think she is great! Then we have Evelyn Bradley on Solo Euph and Katrina Marzella on Solo Bariotne, both great players!

There are plenty of excellent women players around - maybe its because people don't think about 'women in bands' anymore that we just don't notice them. As far as I am concerned a good player is a good player no matter what sex they are.

Richard Dyson
Whitburn Band

markyboy

On the subject of trombone players mentioned beforehand, former Marple player Roz Davies now plays with the Halle. For my money she is as good a player as the players already in this posting.
About twenty years ago there were about ten top bands who had never had women in their bands, now we are down to three. Its only a mattter of time before its down to none. (I also believe that Helen Fox has guessted for one of these bands) perhaps someone could confirm this?
Alex K gave a mention to a few of her female banding mates, but I should give her a top mention as well.
Just heard your performance of 'Ave Maria' on cd. Its fantastic!!! Wish I could play like that!
ps What's your brother up to these days? (ex Grimethorpe Bass trom for those of you who dont know whom I'm talking about).
About time he made a reappearance in the banding world!
But dont offer to give him a lift to band, he was NEVER read when I used to pick him up! LoL! Just joking.
Hope he's well!

James McFadyen

I would say there are more men than women involved in music in general. It is a wierd thing since music is considered to be the language of love, but yet remains dominated by males!

I reckon there should be a lot more women involved in all aspects of the music biz, but should be restricted to blonde and be totally fine! oh yeah, baby! ....................................one can only wish! :wink:

All the women I know in the music biz are really good at what they do and I have much respect for them and we really must get more women composers as well! :wink:

lizi

indeed!

Have to agree with Markyboy on the Roz Davies and Helen Fox drift!

Two VERY good players! :)

markyboy

he was NEVER read when I used to pick him up! LoL! Just joking.
Hope he's well![/quote]
Oops That should have said never readY! Just so you know what I'm babbling on about at this time at night!

neiltwist

indeed, roz is good, then there's bones apart, they're an all girl trombone quartet! and they are top notch.

but in my view simon cowan is the best trombone player around, well not anymore actually, but, before he went to portugal he was the best, although the aforementioned are particularly good in their own right.

edit: the 'not anymore' refers to the fact simon is in portugal s far as i know, not! his playing standard!

bagpuss

OK, another female that came to mind (not sure if she still does any brass band work though) is Simone Rebello - percussionist extraordinaire. If Simone or anyone who knows her reads this, APOLOGIES FOR THE SPELLING!!!! I really should know better but hey, it's late!!

Puss Puss Puss

beard_4b

CaharleyFarley said:
Brett is as we know a world class player.

I agree Chris is a fantastic player! :wink: