Favourite Note?

bladder

Favourite note...eh? Hmm...
The problem is someone (usually alf) else is playing my favourite note!!!!
There seems to be lots Ab's and Eb's as peoples fav. Being a bit a jazzer I tend to have favourite keys, not notes. On the cornet it tends to be an intonation thing, so the keys of Eb maj(C min) and Ab maj(F min - Aby-inwales-No.1 120 Hymns) are for me the keys which work well, are the easiest to keep in trim. Of course, improv. in these keys can get a bit naughty! It's almost like keys put the notes in context, playing (for me) a G off an Eb is much more secure than playing the G off, say, E, D, or C(#)!
Of course if I'm completely honest, my favourite note is double-top(super) C on the very rare occasions I manage to wimpily squeak :oops: one out. That is only after I've regained all cognitive control, the mouthpiece has been extracted from deep within the embouchure, and I've changed my underwear.:mad:

groovy

Hmmm..

Note..well I hate D (just under stave) cause on my euph I only have 3 valves and its rubbish note esp. without 4th valve.

Fave though, I love (treble) 4th space E, its lovely and clear sounding, also an easy note to get.

I like the keys of Eb and A. I dunno why.

jfenwick

my favourite note on any of my tuned percussion instruments has to be like Ukdrummerboy b flat, on untuned percussion it has to be hit.

HBB

My favourite note on the cornet is G

-------------------
-------------------
----------|\-------
---------O---------
-------------------

and on horn it's Bb!

-------------------
----------|\-------
--------bO---------
-------------------
-------------------

I don't know why! Perhaps i like those keys1 --- not too many accidentals!

ben! :S

timbloke

Bottom f (concert) if playing bass tromb cos it always glows, on tenor i like a top C (concert) cost once you're up there it can be quite a magnificent sound. fav note ever written is second tromb in the orchestral version of finlandia penultimate note. can't actually remember what the note is.

Borfeo

I'd say top Eb, above top C on the trombone. Not the easiest note to squeeze out but what a beautiful sound when you hit it just perfect. Underused though, trom parts should always be this high :wink:

Also, love the top D at the end of Rhapsody for Trombone, bit of a bone shaker but again, beautiful when done properly.

MoominDave

So true! As your high range grows, you find that there are certain notes that you have to work hard to hold, and others that almost feel self-sustaining. After the hard slog involved in getting to high C#, D and Eb are a blessedly resonant relief, before getting back to more splittable things with the E.

Dave

Big Fella

Favourite, has to be Pedal Bb, just seems to ring forever without much effort..

Hated Note would have to be anything above the stave..

Straightmute

Stewart said:
Straightmute said:
really big twigge said:
I'm with the musicman on the Eb above middle C, on any instrument its a corker !

Still prefer D#

D

Nah, I find D# a bit... well... sharp, Eb sits much more nicely and is more mellow somehow.

Sorry I was talking middle C on the piano - my low D# on trumpet. Mahler 5 and all that.

Eb at the top of the stave??? No no no - the word you're looking for is FLAT!!! :twisted:

D

Cornishwomble

I love the G above middle C when played on a Sop, with a nice tone it can make you weep! :cry:

Mind you, played by an awful sop can also get the tears going!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.