Favourite Hymn Tune?

GJG

The SA arrangement of "Colne" in question is, most likely, Thomas Rive (?)

G.

skweeky

maybe i havent noticed. im at band tonight ill find out then :wink: it has a nice sop/solocornet tune and descant in the middle (2nd?) verse..

brasscrest

Morghoven said:
and an SA one called It is well with my soul (When peace like a river)

It's a great tune, but it's not an SA one. It's used in many churches in the US (including the SA). The classic arrangement, IMHO, is the Eric Ball piece Serenity, published in the SA Triumph Series (#687, I think).

Personal favorites are Brantwood, Great is Thy Faithfulness, and Adeste Fideles.

Morghoven

brasscrest said:
Morghoven said:
and an SA one called It is well with my soul (When peace like a river)

It's a great tune, but it's not an SA one. It's used in many churches in the US (including the SA). The classic arrangement, IMHO, is the Eric Ball piece Serenity, published in the SA Triumph Series (#687, I think).

I stand humbly corrected - guess you learn something new every day! I don't know the Ball arrangement, but I'm sure it's fantastic; I love Les Condon's treatment of it in 'The Present Age'.

Dave

eckyboy

Played an arrangement of Nottingham at the Swiss Open which was really good--also a good arrangement of Calon Lan by James McFadyen at a local contest.

Razor

Personal favourites are

Abide with me, Deep Harmony and St Clements.

There's also Grimsby, Cardiff, Miles Lane and Who is on the Lord's Side from the SA tune book.

Whilst on the subject of the SA tune book, can anybody confirm if some of the arrangements from the older red SA tune books were rescored (bass lines in particular) for publication in the new 'blue' tune books?

I've heard people comment that the 'older' versions were better.

Brian Bowen

Razor said:
Whilst on the subject of the SA tune book, can anybody confirm if some of the arrangements from the older red SA tune books were rescored (bass lines in particular) for publication in the new 'blue' tune books?

I've heard people comment that the 'older' versions were better.

I believe I'm correct in saying all the arrangements in the current SA band tune book are in accordance with the current official keyboard & words edition. Therefore, if the piano arrangements are different from the old tune book, so are the band arrangements. I was one of several involved in making the new band arrangements (in the early 1980s I think). If memory serves correctly, however, just a few tunes in the band book are not in the keyboard edition.

brasscrest

The old red tune books were in two parts. The original book was issued beginning in the 1930s and the arrangements were done however each arranger wished. The books were labelled as the General or Festival Series instrumentation, but the doubling of parts was not consistent throughout.

A supplement was issued in the 1950s. This was (mostly) arranged in four parts, with the euph part often supplying a fifth part (similar to the current blue tune books).

The blue tune books were done during the early/mid 1980s (as Brian correctly remembered). They were issued in 1987 (British edition) and 1988 (American edition). Almost all of the arrangements were newly made, as the 1930s arrangements (of the tunes that were retained) were not in the correct "4 + 1" pattern. Some of the arrangements from the Supplement may have been retained.

The arrangements from the old 1930s tune book are often much richer than the ones in the new tune books because the arrangers were not forced into using only 4 parts plus a countermelody.

All of the tunes in the British edition are in the piano version, in very close to identical arrangements. Some tunes are played in a different key when the piano and band play together (the actual piano part is written in D, for example, but played in D-flat when the band is also playing, done to avoid extreme sharp keys in the brass). If you have the American version, there are several extra tunes (the American Supplement) which are not printed in the piano version because the music is printed with the words in the corresponding section of the Song Book. The piano version also contains a Chorus Section which is not found in the brass edition.

Incidentally, I have heard several pianists complain that the arrangements in the piano version of the Tune Book are not "pianistic" and are thus sometimes difficult to play. For many of the tunes it seems that the brass arrangments were simply condensed and printed as a piano part.

Razor

Thanks for the insight Robert. Helps to explain why, according to some, the arrangements in the old red book were 'better' or to use your term 'richer', than those in the newer blue tune book.

One of my favourites is "On Jordans Banks". It's a good marching tune.

Good arrangement of this has been done by Gorgie Boy - recently recorded by Fuoco Brass.

Seedhouse

I really like Abide with me, it's my fave. But it doesn't seem to be in the hymn books, unless it's got another name that I don't know about!?
Is there a Euph solo with piano somewhere of it???

brasscrest

Seedhouse said:
I really like Abide with me, it's my fave. But it doesn't seem to be in the hymn books, unless it's got another name that I don't know about!?

It's in the SA Tune Book (can't remember the number just now). As for solos with piano, I can't recall one. David Childs recorded this tune on his recent CD with the Hendon Band, an arrangement by Rodney Newton. You could check with the publisher (listed as Prima Vista Musikk on the CD) and see if they have a piano version.

Brian Bowen

Seedhouse said:
"Abide with me" is in many hymn books -- the tune is called "Eventide". For a band arrangement, you'll certainly find it in the SA Tune Book but titled "Abide with me".

For many years this hymn was an integral part of the FA Cup Final at Wembley. It concluded the prematch warm-up music played by the military band with the crowd singing -- heartily I think :!: . It has had a long run of popularity.

My favourite is St Clement, followed by (in no particular order) Blaenwern, Abide With Me/Evenitide, Aberystwyth and Old Hundredth.

Trigger

Number 82 and 7 - St Clements and Blaenwern (spelling??), although we play number 7 every rehearsal, so it tends to get a bit boring. Also like Cym Rhonda.

tubatu

My favourite is "Be Still My Soul" from Finlandia by Sibelius.
Wonderful piece when performed with band and choir.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.