Favourite Flugel Horn Solo's?

Rambo Chick

I've played a lot of the pieces that have been mentioned. I like 'You needed me', I himmelen (In heaven). played it ( I himmelen) for my third year uni performance exam and really enjoyed it.

Children of Sanchez is definitely a favourite because it can be played with contrast between the slower beginning showing off the soulful rich sound of the flugel, and in the later parts can really be given some bite and jazz and shows another side and potential jazzy rougher sound (still just as classy of course!) of the flugel!:cool:

we're not just a bunch of softies you know!!:biggrin:

Flugel Solos

Call me old fashioned but A Time For Peace always proves a fav at concerts. Well......if you play it well, not a piece to play badly.:D

brassneck

I mentioned 'Flight' way back in post #5. Another flugel solo I have found and listening to at the moment must be rarely played these days ... John Golland's Concerto For Flugel Horn, Opus 87. It's different! (... recording is Stan Lippeatt with the Thoresby Colliery Band called Friends).

Thirteen Ball

I've played a lot of the pieces that have been mentioned. I like 'You needed me', I himmelen (In heaven). played it ( I himmelen) for my third year uni performance exam and really enjoyed it.

Children of Sanchez is definitely a favourite because it can be played with contrast between the slower beginning showing off the soulful rich sound of the flugel, and in the later parts can really be given some bite and jazz and shows another side and potential jazzy rougher sound (still just as classy of course!) of the flugel!:cool:

we're not just a bunch of softies you know!!:biggrin:

Two points to consider (Having lost count of the number of times I've been in the band when Rambo chick's played a solo.)

1) If "In Heaven" is going to work, properly, it's mutes all round on the band - including basses. Nothing that hard is written in the band parts, but it's monster rough on tuning. Takes a lot of work to get the whole band sounding right, but some fabulous writing and the end result is well worth it.

2) Your bass section will hate you forever if you play children of sanchez... it's nearly impossible to play cleanly! It does sound brilliant when played well though.

I've heard a couple of flugel players take on certain trombone solos in the past, and they work pretty well, as long as the lyrical qualities of the instrument are given chance to come through. Something like "swing low sweet chariot" works a treat.

brianbrain

I Prefer " blessed assurance" which features flugel and picc. trumpet. has gone down a storm on every accaision i've played it

ian perks

I Prefer " blessed assurance" which features flugel and picc. trumpet. has gone down a storm on every accaision i've played it
very true and i was in the audience when you played it at Christamas Concert as well:clap: :clap: :clap: .
A real classic and more than very well played as well;)

When i played flugal my favourite was The Shadow of your Smile simple yet effective
But My brother Brian A few years ago dedicated a piece to me in a Brighouse and Rastrick concert at Loughborough Town Hall
A peice called Blessed Assurance which starts on Flugal and then goes to piccolo Trumpet what a phenominal piece The audience loved it he had a standing ovation for 5mins

brianbrain

When i played flugal my favourite was The Shadow of your Smile simple yet effective
But My brother Brian A few years ago dedicated a piece to me in a Brighouse and Rastrick concert at Loughborough Town Hall
A peice called Blessed Assurance which starts on Flugal and then goes to piccolo Trumpet what a phenominal piece The audience loved it he had a standing ovation for 5mins
:oops:

Product tMP members are discussing