Favourite Band Overture

JohnnyEuph

What is your favourite Band Overture. We are looking to put one into every concert programme from now on. We are already doing Poet and Peasant. So what are the best??

Suggestions please. - Arranger/Publisher details if poss :biggrin:

tubafran

JohnnyEuph said:
What is your favourite Band Overture. We are looking to put one into every concert programme from now on. We are already doing Poet and Peasant. So what are the best??

Checking our library we have the following classed as overtures:

Caliph of Bagdad
Candide
Couronne D'Or, La
Egmont
French Comedy
Impressario
Light Cavalry
London River
Lustspiel
Mack and Mabel
Miniature Overture
Mirella
Morning Noon and Night
Nabucodonosor
Orpheus in the Underworld
Overturiana
Pique Dame
Poet and Peasant
Prince and Peasant
Promenade
Raymond
Rule Britannia
Salute to Freedom
Semiramide
Silver Star, The
Strand on the Green
Tantalusqualen
Tombstone-Arizona
William Tell
Zampa

take your pick for me the best of that lot would be Candide (Bernstein), Strand on The Green and Tombstone Arizona. The rest always sound very dated but we all have our own opinions.

Academic Festival Overture (new arrangement by Howard Lorriman)
Russlan & Ludmilla (various arrangements)
Peterloo Overture (Arnold arr. Duncan) This one is different but great fun!

DaveR

JohnnyEuph said:

Don't forget you can buy them from Aldbrickham Music and get 10% off the price that the publisher would charge you! ;)

I love The Lonely Mill, Abu Hasan (arr. Lorrimer), The Arcadians (which I think has just been republished! :clap:) and the Impressario. Most are quite old-fashioned I suppose, but still well worth playing!

nickjones

The Bat ( Die Flierdermaus) - Strauss arr Winter is a brilliant arrangement R.Smith
Waverley Overture - Arr Howard Snell Studio Music
Candide - Arr Howard Snell Rakeway / Kirklees
Bartered Bride - Smetena arr Derek Broadbent Wright and Round
Peterloo arr Andy Duncan and a grand grand overture ( op57) ( Malcom Arnold) are good new editions

As Original Overtures for band go....
Pittsburg Overture - Philip Sparke is pretty special Studio
London Overture - Philip Sparke R.Smith

Last edited:

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
JohnnyEuph said:
I've been told that Zampa is a right olde 'pot boiler', anyone played it?

Yep - I quite like it but I'm a bit old fashioned. It's on one of Dykes' Classics CDs (an early one with Jim Watson conducting).

Maestro

I like any of the ones already mentioned.
A bit surprised nobody has yet mentioned 'Jubilee Overture'. Got a super recording of GUS playing that.

Brassy Lady

Maestro said:
I like any of the ones already mentioned.
A bit surprised nobody has yet mentioned 'Jubilee Overture'. Got a super recording of GUS playing that.

Had forgotten about Jubilee Overture (despite making a CD with it on!). Love it! (Philip Sparke / Studio Music)

JR

Brassy Lady said:
Had forgotten about Jubilee Overture (despite making a CD with it on!). Love it! (Philip Sparke / Studio Music)

agreed - best performance of this I've ever heard was by Soli Deo Gloria band at the European entertainment contest at Usher Hall Edinburgh 1984
I also like Tameside Overture and London....
I would put a vote in for Bruce Broughton's Frontier Overture too

If I can go a lifetime without programming Poet and Peasant I will....

JR

Mrs Fruity

Wot no Bronze Horse???? Whyever not, I wonder?????:wink:

Candide, Pique Dame, Die Felsenmuhle, anything but Le Domino Noir - my favourites
Caliph of Baghdad (ah the old days in Harton and Westoe Junior Band):)

sop17

JohnnyEuph said:
I've been told that Zampa is a right olde 'pot boiler', anyone played it?
Yes, I really like it! (more exciting than some overtures we play!) We recorded it on our new CD this year. I also noticed it the other day on Fred Dibnah!!

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
I've got loads of 'favourites'.

I like Dvorak's Carnival Overture as mentioned above (incidentally I think it was a R Smith publication?) - but it's rather evil to play, particularly the tongued sextuplets at speed.

Another Franz von Suppé favourite of mine is Morning, Noon and Night in Vienna - not sure of the arranger (there are a few), but I reckon the best one is where the first solo is given to the euph and not the horn (IIRC it's a viola part in the orchestral score, but I could be wrong) - this arrangement is published by Boosey I think.

I prefer Peter Parkes' arrangment of Ruslan and Ludmilla....possible Chandos but not sure.

Benvenuto Cellini....Judges.....I could never play Carnival Romain :D....Force of Destiny....aren't they all Frank Wright?

I could go on....but I won't ;)

Product tMP members are discussing