Favorite Marches...whats yours?

With the Whit Marches tomorrow, i just wondered what everyones favorite march was?

Mine is and always has been "Death or Glory" followed by Slaidburn (and i quite like a new(ish) march that i've played called McArthur Glen by Darrol Barry)

Whats your favorite March?

Stewart

McArthur Glen? What, like the shopping place just outside York? :?

I'll agree with Slaidburn, it's not too flashy, just a good march that I still quite like even after playing it for years. Surprisingly after practising it for weeks I'm still rather liking Ravenswood :shock:

blondie

I agree with you on 'Slaidburn' it doesn't seem to lose its appeal ilke some of them do, also i quite like 'True & Trusty' that's not to bad along with New Recruit also not too bad but some of the marches are just awful. Also two other favourites of mine are 'The President' and 'Ravenswood'.

Stewart

ukdrummerboy said:
Yeah, i do believe it was written for the Shopping Centre (cus i remember having to play it when we did a concert there)

How very odd, might have to see if I can find it...

MartinT

Not doing Whit Friday this year, sadly, though a scratch band from Oxfordshire is going, with Wantage representation.

My favourite road march would be "Army of the Nile". On the field, we've enjoyed playing "Ravenswood" in the past, though next time Wantage do it we might think of "Mephistopheles" (see our CD!)

Sueee

Army of the Nile and The Wizard-cant rem top of my head who composer was-i'm sure someone from Leyland will know?

was brill march when played it at Leyland 2 years ago now at Whit Friday

Sue :wink:

The Avenger is just ace.

I first heard it about 3 years ago at Whit Friday when I had literally just started to play. We bought it for the band and just love it.

PeterBale

Staff member
SellersSue said:
Army of the Nile and The Wizard-cant rem top of my head who composer was-i'm sure someone from Leyland will know?

George Allan wrote The Wizard.

Standard of St George is a good street march, as are many more of Kenneth Alford's.

Ali

I remember when Todmorden Old marched down the road to the Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars episode V) which was brill as was that famous road march, the theme tune to the Telly Tubbies! I have never experianced anything quite like marching down Greenfield and Uppermill shouting "Eeh Oh" at the top of my voice! I have even tried to convince our MD that "Soul Bossanova" would be a quality street march, but he opted for "The Chieftan" instead! Boring!!!!!!!!!!! Actually it gives quite a sense of excitement when you hear that on the march. On a more serious note though, "Goldcrest", "Praise", "Midwest" and "ORB" are amongst the contenders for my top marches.

JessopSmythe

I like castell coch coz it once made me a lot of money. Someone bet me I couldn't play the euph part on a trombone. I accepted the bet and waited until the next rehearsal before getting my valved trombone out of the car.

Playing wise, even though I can play most of the parts without music having played it so often, I agree with all of you that went for slaidburn

Aidan

mines royal duchy... on a recordin by faireys
the wizard is pretty good too, makes a change to have a melodic section in the middle before the trio..
and ravenswood just for the solo horn part :D

CRat63

A tough one indeed,
Mephistopheles (that can't be spelt right!?), excellent march. Castell Coch because I have many fond memories of playing it-particularly at the YHBB Annual contest where we got to play it twice because of a fire alarm in the middle of our performance! Goldcrest, cheese on a stick. And Roll Away Bet because we're doing it at Whit Friday-can't get the damn thing out of my head. Does Pomp and Circumstance count as a march too?, if so, the thats another fave.

Craig

Lannerman

favourite marches

The Australasian.

This was the first piece I ever played in a Championship band.

What a culture shock that was. :lol:

super_sop

Supporting Member
id never even herd of ravenswood before 2 weeks ago but i love it now!
a couple ov other favs are sombre et meuse and mechanised infantry, not many people in here herd of them i bet but still favs.
I also like zorbas dance, and dance of the imps in the hall of the mountain king. ab fab to march to!!!! :lol:

Naomi McFadyen

My favourite marches are: (in no particular order)
Slaidburn
Simouraine
Army of the Nile
Death or Glory
Cossack
to name a few...
there's a few more but I can't remember what they are! D'oh!