Favorite Marches...whats yours?

PeterBale

Staff member
rutty said:
... I'd love to see someone marching to Mephistopheles - go on, give it a go!
On the subject of bands struggling to play difficult pieces on the march, I recall being on holiday many years ago and assisting the local band at the Open Air meeting. All well and good until the bandmaster, who probably should have stepped down several years earlier, decided to play Norman Bearcroft's Temple 85 to march back to hall. For the benefit of those who aren't familiar with the piece, it is typical Bearcroft in featuring a very high euphonium part, and fairly exposed solo horn and cornet writing. To choose to play it that day, with a band of about 15 players, with me on solo horn (the only horn) was really asking for trouble, and I hate to think what any passers-by must have thought.

bagpuss

Castell Coch brings back such memories, but I do like marches such as Ravenswood, Arnhem, Knight Templar, President, Goldcrest. Some of the marches still available at the moment are not so memorable. Sorry Blondie but you and I will have to disagree, 'Blue and Crusty' is NOT one of my favourites and neither is the New Recruit.

Oh well, he is ONLY a bass trombone player (is that the right term or is torturer more accurate?) after all!!!!

Puss Puss Puss

jonford

After 2nite, anythin but O.R.B! How many bands played this at Whit Fridat this year!? My favourites are Knight Templar, Castle Coch, Cross of honour and the president

blue euph

Favorite Marches

My favs are Army of the Nile, Florentiner March by Julius Fucik and a march called Pentagon March believe the title is called, written by Wally Ost who one of the Eb tuba players in the Brass Band of Minot in Minot, ND. This march is in 5/4 time but it works.

I don't mind Sousa marches except when the clarinet and trumpet players are out of tune! :x

blue euph

A march story

Every year the Minot City Band does a Sousa concert. Last year, two days before the concert, they were looking for a trombone player. I just happen to be the only one in Minot who was avail. to attempt to double on trombone. So I had one rehersal to get myself familar with the 2nd trombone part and let alone, try to make myself play trombone which I haven't played for 4 years. A friend of mine gave me her 1948 Bach 42 Trombone which I own now. Ofcourse, its tradition for a Sousa concert to include Stars and Stripes and have the brass section stand up and go in front on the last strain. I had one rehersal to memorize the trombone part at the end which i nevered paid much attention to before, after all its the euphonium who makes everybody sound good in Stars and Stripes :twisted: . Well, the heat of battle happend at the concert. About half way through the last strain, I got lost so I bailed myself out and played the melody instead which ofcourse is in the euphonium part :evil: :) . Thankfully, hardly anybody noticed a lot of people didn't know that I could play trombone and thought I did a great job though 8) . Moral of the story, try to be somewhat familar with even the trombone parts in marches.

cornetgirl

My favourite march has to be Brilliant - difficult but lives up to its title! Also like Arabian having been introduced to it at band last year.

Rach x

Lannerman

favourite marches

I love the up-tempo marches.

"Barnum & Bailey's Favourite" is an absolute corker.

Grimethorpe have done a great recording of this one.

horn1

My favourite at the moment is The Cossack, fantastic solo horn part. Other favourites are ORB, Viva Birkinshaw, Ravenswood, on the march I like Blaze Away, The Standard of St. George and The Army of the Nile.

Talking about playing contest marches on the march, I used to play with a scratch band on Whit Friday morning in Mossley. The first time I played for them I was on rep and we played Ravenswood (which I sight read) down the steepest hill in Mossley ( Mossley has some very big hills!!). We also used to find out which march Mossley Band were playing at night and march onto the market ground playing that! Much fun!!!! :shock:

newoleahcim

1. William Himes 'Motivation'
2. Cairo Red Shield
3. Christmas Cheer - Andrew Blyth (ex ISB)
4. Gladness - Simon Birkett (ex ISB) :twisted:

ORB and Mephy are tops for me closely followed by Ravenswood and the President. Anything with a bit of excitement for euphs will do though!

iggmeister

I cant believe that so manypeople like Slaidburn. I think it's plop. I also cant believe that nobody has mentioned BB & CF; possibly one of the greatest ever marches.

If you have to walk/stroll/wander when playing a march then I think it has to be a 6/8 march that you can swagger to. Punchinello has the best of both worlds and is a great road march.

Igg

Cantonian

iggmeister said:
I cant believe that so manypeople like Slaidburn. I think it's plop. I also cant believe that nobody has mentioned BB & CF; possibly one of the greatest ever marches.

If you have to walk/stroll/wander when playing a march then I think it has to be a 6/8 march that you can swagger to. Punchinello has the best of both worlds and is a great road march.

Igg
I'm sure that in S.A. music the cornets ,euphs and trombones can swagger in 6/8 marches but I call these the naa-na marches cos all of the horn part is naa-na, naa-na etc.
I would agree with newoleachim that Motivation is good but two oldie marches, Rousseau and Soldiers of Christ are equally good and Land of Song is ace.

hornblower

I like Slaidburn, Ballerina, simouraine and castell coch, the latter is what we played at whit friday and I'm still humming it!!!

Straightmute

Played 'Around the World' by Alex Owen tonight and it's already a firm favourite. Some lovely counter melodies and a final legato section which must have inspired Knight Templar. Some tricky notes to play but the effect is brilliant.

We've programmed it for our concert in Harrogate's Sun Pavillion next Tuesday...

D

Stewart

Oh no, now I'll be whistling Barnard Castle all day :shock:

We got Black Knight out at band last night which I quite like, seemed hard work as the last piece of the night though.