Favorite Marches...whats yours?

lizi

Marches

I really like Viva Birkenshaw, well at least i did last time i remember playing it! :roll:

The one were plain tomoro is one of the committees' favourites, "Bramwyn" cant honestly say that ive taken not of the composer!

I know for a fact that i definantly dont like "The Cossack" bad memories of it from a few years back-i swore id never play it again unless forced (or paid) :lol:

I remeber last year some scratch band played "The Stripper" as a march, they had the usual march formation, yet the band were kicking their legs about like sycronised swimmers! top class, only they could have pulled it off (if only i could remember who it was! :roll: )

Keppler

Staff member
I'll go with the crowd for this one.. best road march is Slaidburn. Especially when you have the words.. :D

I also really like Honest Toil. Star Lake, and Holyrood are not bad either

Lannerman

favourite marches

what about sousa.

undisputed march king.

Sempre Fideles, Stars and Stripes.

Up the tempo and his marches are brilliant.

Despot

Re: favourite marches

Lannerman said:
what about sousa.

undisputed march king.

Sempre Fideles, Stars and Stripes.

Up the tempo and his marches are brilliant.
Like both of them! But I'm afraid Monty Phyton put paid to "The Liberty Bell", which is a shame! :)

Despot

But my favourite march composer has to be Rimmer

Slaidburn, Punchinello, Ravenswood....the list goes on!

Darth_Tuba

Favoruite contest marches: ORB, Ravenswood and The Wizard
Others: Army of the Nile and Stars and Stripes, but just the one with Pat Sheridan playing the picolo solo on tuba :)

:D Concert march has to be Simoraine

:D Contest march my personal favourite due to fond memories is Glemdene

:D Road march Slaidburn cos it's easy and also the first march I ever played, and Imperial Echoes just cos I like it but hardly ever got to play it on the march :D :D :D

MattB

We're doing Castell Coch tonight, and I think it's an excellent march. Got to agree with everyone about Slaidburn. How easy is it to get it sounding good! Also a good one for a junior band as an introduction to 'senior' marches.

Played The Red Shield a few years ago and thought that was pretty good too. I would like to get hold of it for my band but have no idea who sells it! Any suggestions?

PeterBale

Staff member
MattB said:
Played The Red Shield a few years ago and thought that was pretty good too. I would like to get hold of it for my band but have no idea who sells it! Any suggestions?
Contact www.worldofbrass.com for The Red Shield and other Salvation Army marches.

Other good ones are Montreal Citadel, Soldiers of Christ (George Marshall), Invincible Army (Erik Leidzen) and, of course - without being biased - Hadleigh Camp (Ray Steadman Allen).

Straightmute

There are just so many to choose from. William Rimmer is the top man in bb march writing. His work was just so inventive and stylish and its great to see his work cropping up so many times in everyone's choices. My own personal favourite is 'The Arabian' which is not heard so often nowadays but is well worth digging out, and Invincible is also due a revival.

Wilfred Heaton's marches are very special - so distinctive. We've recorded Praise and Tricot Rouge and will get around to Glory Glory very soon.

My favourites on Whit Friday are Knight Templar and ORB but they're both heard far too often really.

Also enjoy Simoraine - we played it concert last night. Does anyone know anything about Clive Barraclough - it's too good for him to be a 'one hit wonder'.

D

PeterBale

Staff member
Straightmute said:
Also enjoy Simoraine - we played it concert last night. Does anyone know anything about Clive Barraclough - it's too good for him to be a 'one hit wonder'.D
A Google search revealed a cornet trio called Three Lazy Gents (also one listing for Three Jolly Gents, but I think that may have been an error), but no personal details, other than the fact that Simoraine was named after his children, Simon and Lorraine.

Highams

'Three Lazy Gents' was recorded by Grimethorpe on their Spectrum LP back in 1969. I believe Clive Barraclough was a baritone player, once with Loughborough Band (?)

Fav. marches, Slaidburn (first march I ever learnt) Contestor, Avenger (used by Hanwell for many years) and County Palatine (stunning record of Imps conducted by Dennis Carr of that one).

As with some of the lesser known Rimmer marches, seek out the rarely heard Sousa ones for some difficult stuff !

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

I like quit a few! the melody shop (good concert operner) also midwest is. contest marchers have got to be: ravenswood, simoraine, Knight templar (when played by a top band at tempo!) and O,R,B. but id love to play queensbury but its black dykes march! so sum how ill have to get in the dyke team! :D

Big Twigge

I like Cornish cavalier......and of course slaidburn, true and trusty, 1914, Blades of steel, the new recruit and all the other darlings that we play in Wem Carnival and anything else out of the green march book :wink:

IYOUNG

For me its Viva Birkenshaw and also maybe rather bizzarely i have a soft spot for On the Quarter deck

Ian Young
MD Marlow band

Straightmute

Highams said:
'Three Lazy Gents' was recorded by Grimethorpe on their Spectrum LP back in 1969.
Yes I have this one. It's really odd but they substitute the real finale of Three Lazy Gents for the last section of Trumpets Wild. Strange but true.

D

rutty

You can't beat a brisk rendition of the RAF March Past - oh happy days!

Slaidburn is always popular, especially played third time through a la Brassed Off :guiness:

I've always liked the Waltonian - cracking march, though not really a road march, and I'd love to see someone marching to Mephistopheles - go on, give it a go!