Fave Brass Band pieces

leisa

Mine are windows of the world, How Great Thou Art, Shine as the light and Glorious Ventures (despite the top D at the end) lol

rutribal

Paganini Variations, Festive Overture and Hebrides Overture. Why is it that some of the best pieces for Brass Band are arrangements of great orchestral pieces. Thing is, they sound even better for bands. I remember a conductor when I was younger saying he wished he could replace the entire viloin section with cornets, sounds like heaven lol

markyboy

A few of my faves would be for a road march 'New Colonial'
Overture 'Fingals Cave'
Test piece 'Diadem of Gold'
Solo 'Rhapsody for Trombone'
Also 'So deep is the night'
Must confess my head is thumping now thinking of all the pices I love! So I'll leave it for now, but no doubt I'll think of some more soon.
I like all of the choices made so far.

BurgerBoy

Fav Pieces

Surely no concert piece can beat Born Free - drama, passion and a back row tune!

For a test piece what about Purcell Variations or Jazz?

Euph-Bari

windows of the world definatley
toccata
and at the min black magic woman
the list could go on
oh and gaelforce

stephen2001

Way too many to mention. :? :?
I like Dimensions, the 3rd section piece at Skeggy this year. Pity I probably won't be playing :(

Big Fella

Where Do You Begin, well here goes, a much shortened list..

ODIN
Finlandia
Journey into Freedom
Resurgam
Parts Of Windows Of The World
The Hustle ( YES I KNOW IT'S CHEESEY )

Valvecap said:
Year of the Dragon - especially the 2nd movement -
Reflections in Nature
Serenade to Toni
Serenade for Toni - couldn't agree more. It is absolutely gorgeous :!:

It really gets the hairs on the back of my neck going. Mind you those 5/8 bits in the middle can cause a few probs!

amgray

Valvecap said:
Year of the Dragon - especially the 2nd movement -
OBVIOUSLY you're not a trombonist!! :shock:
This has to be the pearliest solo section in the entire band repertoire.

Borfeo

I have to agree with you there Andy, but as a trom player, there's nothing better than testing yourself on it, Sparkes best bit of writing.......ever. A real sphincter tightener. :x

IYOUNG

I'm absolutely hooked on the Euro 2002 test peice ''Chain'' - Fantastic.

Just shows you when we went to Brussels last year saw the title and the composer - thought mmmm not sure about this but absolutely hypnotic

Ian

ju33les

How about pieces you can't stand playing?
My non-favourites include : Floral dance, Hat Trick,Light Cavalry(sorry Tim!) and Colonel Bogey.
Not new pieces I know.....but only ones can think of at the mo...sure there's loads more :roll:

sparkling_quavers

TIMBONE

Here are mine

I will always love "Facets of Glass".

Si, what's that about orchestral pieces always sounding better on brass band, "Crown Imperial" just doesn't work! Sounds great on Military Band though. Of course, I'm sure the inimitable Howard Snell, (snelly to friends and enemies), could make it work, or even Timothy Paton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leisa

i don't like concert variations (sorry ben justn gettin slightly bored of it, i liked it when we started!!) also parade of the charioteers, dont mind listenin to it but h8 playing it same with pastime with good company and also "Polly wolly doodling" it was unfair of colin to subject us to that!! :evil: