Fantasy Brass Band

I am starting a survey to find out the TMP posters' 'Fantasy Brass Band'. It will consist of: 1 Soprano, 5 solo cornets, 1 repiano cornet, 1 1st cornet, 1 2nd cornet, 1 3rd cornet, 1 flugel, 3 horns, 2 euphoniums, solo baritone, 1st & 2nd baritone, 3 trombones, 5 basses and 3 percussionists. Please send your bands to me at fraser@carnyx.com. I will compile the final band consisting of the players with the highest votes. Please note that you must only include current players and can also choose an MD. The deadline for final submissions will be Moday 31st May. I look forward to receiving your submissions.

Soon to be Principal

markyboy

Can I ask a question as well?
Do the players that you pick have to sit on their respective seats or can you nominate Principal players to sit on secondary parts?
eg to pick a horn section many people would go for say, Sandy Smith, Owen Farr and Sheona White but they are all Solo Horn players.
To nominate a first horn player do they have to be a first horn in their band?
Once this is clear I look forward to the results.
I'll stick my neck out and predict a certain Mr Roberts will get the Soprano chair.

PeterBale

Staff member
When you say "current players" does that mean they have to be actually playing with bands at present, or do you just mean players who are still alive and active in music?

I think this idea has a few flaws you may have to iron out first.

The instrumentation isn't what most people are used to, keeping it standard contesting band might be alot easier for people and you'll get a better response. - Nothing at all wrong with the salvos, just a suggestion though, as most of us are contest banders.

Is the idea (in regards to the positions of players) that for example, Sheona White gets 450 votes, Sandy Smith 440 and Owen Farr 430 so they sit solo horn to 2nd horn in that respective order? (Might have to ask for opinions on what the best way to structure the cornet section is if you are doing it like this)

Can you preference vote?...it would make the system a hell of alot fairer, especially in regards to positions like flugel, euphonium, bass trombone and soprano.

Can percussionists come from an orchestral background?

Cheers...A good idea, but we'll need to get all the particulars out on the table before it gets too confusing for voters/posters/submitters!!

Cantonian

wewizrobbed said:
is SA music not sometimes written like that?
No!
There are two levels of instrumentation, neither mentioning numbers of players.
Festival and General series are:
Soprano, Solo, 1st and 2nd Cornet, Flugel, Solo,1st and 2nd Horn, 1st and 2nd baritone, euphonium, 1st, 2nd and Bass Trom, Eb and Bb Bass and Percussion.

Triumph and Unity series have no solo parts and in Unity series, soprano, Bass trom and Flugel are optional doubling other parts.

American journals have similar scoring.

Accidental

Supporting Member
Australian Euphonium said:
The instrumentation isn't what most people are used to, keeping it standard contesting band might be alot easier for people and you'll get a better response. - Nothing at all wrong with the salvos, just a suggestion though, as most of us are contest banders.
<snip>
A good idea, but we'll need to get all the particulars out on the table before it gets too confusing for voters/posters/submitters!!

I think the confusion is that the suggested instrumentation isn't SA either?

How about the usual (non-SA) score order:
Sop, 4 solos, 1 rep, 2 2nds, 2 3rds
Flugel, 3 horns
2 baritones
2 tenor troms, 1 bass trom
2 euphs
2 EEb basses, 2 BBb
1 kit, 2 (?) tuned percussionists.

Ok, Ok, Ok! My sincere apologies for all the flaws. The band will be set up as follows:

1 soprano
4 solo cornets
1 rep
2 2nd cornets
2 3rd cornets
flugel
solo horn
1st horn
2nd horn
solo baritone
2nd baritone
2 euphoniums
solo trombone
2nd trombone
bass trombone
2 Eb basses
2 Bb basses
3 percussion (1 kit, 1 timp, 1 tuned)

To answer your queries. Players will be picked by the number of votes they get. ie for horn the 3 players with the most votes will sit solo, 1st and 2nd respectively. Percussion players can be from an orchestral background if you wish. Players can be picked as long as they are still
alive and active in music. You can nominate principal players to sit on secondary parts if you wish. You can also nominate secondary players to sit on solo parts although I don't know who would want to do that. It is up to the individual voters who they vote for. If you want to put your mate in as top cornet even though he's rubbish, feel free to do so. I would recommend against doing this though as we want it to be serious. You don't have to vote for the players regarded as the best around but vote for your favourites. It is a Fantasy Band and it is who you'd like to see in it.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused and I hope that everything is now cleared up. If you have any more queries or points please feel free to email me at fraser@carnyx.com

Many thanks to Razor for helping me out with this.

Regards

Soon to be Principal

What a task you are taking on there 'soon to be principal'. In an ideal world we would both be very well known and people would be picking us to sit in the horn section eh?! Good luck!

Ste69

I don't nearly know enough players to take part but I hope to learn a lot more from reading the results..... I think this is one of the best topics i've read on here in ages...Nice one :lol:

When you say 'Fantasy Brass Band' are we nominating players on their playing ability or looks?

Good point. If we're doing the latter then my band wont sound very good. Infact i doubt most of my players have picked up an instrument. Halle Berry would be principal cornet and then there would be....and...and maybe... :lol:

Trigger

Bassment Jinx said:
When you say 'Fantasy Brass Band' are we nominating players on their playing ability or looks?

Good point. If we're doing the latter then my band wont sound very good. Infact i doubt most of my players have picked up an instrument. Halle Berry would be principal cornet and then there would be....and...and maybe... :lol:

Oi!!! I'm in your band!! :evil: Nah- actually you're right!! :lol: I think Matthew Taylor (Pompey FC) would be better than Halle Berry anyway :lol:

I couldn't muster the whole band but however...

MD David King

Soprano Peter Roberts

Cornets David Daws (p)
Roger Webster
Stuart Lingard
Alan Morrison
Ian Williams

Philip McCann (r)

2nds, 3rds ?

Flugel Iwan Williams

Horns Sheona White
Owen Farr