Fantastic Solo's & Pieces

rutty

LU-Brasser said:
dave jake said:
Favourate piece is the Three Saints but can t remember who the composer is. Anyone know ? :?: :?:
I think the Composer of Three Saints is Goff Richards
I heard Matlock play that at Oadby last month - very good it was too 8)

jameshowell

my favourite piece to play has to be "Concerto for Trumpet" by "Harry James". It's great fun to play on those cold early mornings at school when you're half asleep, soon wakes you up!

Most of you have probably never heard of this, but recently it was featured on Listen To The Band, the first time i've ever heard an arrangement for Brass Band rather than big band!

ted

Russel Gray performed Harry James Trumpet Concerto at the 1998 Australian National Band Championships Gala Concert. If can play that piece and you're still at school, you must be a prodigical player!

It is track 6 on the Australia '98 highlights CD (which include winning performances of Isaiah 40 and Of Men and Mountains). The arrangement itself is published by Rosehill (from memory).

It is definitely not an unknown piece down here in Australia. Coincidently, our band also recorded it last year but the CD is due to be finished.

Ted

Aidan

The band arrangement is quite popular james, it gets played a lot.

ted said:
If can play that piece and you're still at school, you must be a prodigical player!
2 of my mates at school (brothers) used to take it in turns to play the piece at concerts with the school band. And they both play for a 2nd/3rd section band, so can't be too hard ;)

jameshowell

Nadia said:
2 of my mates at school (brothers) used to take it in turns to play the piece at concerts with the school band. And they both play for a 2nd/3rd section band, so can't be too hard
Yeah, I agree. It's not exactly easy (I'm assuming the brass band version isn't too different from the original which i play), but then it's not the hardest of pieces to play with a little proficiency.

And thanks for the note Aidan, didn't realise it was so popular, I've never before heard it as a brass band arrangement except for once on listen to the band! i'll have to look into that one as a solo with a brass band.

lynchie

The guy that was princ cornet at yb2k for years played harry james... I was just in it for the pedals!

lynchie

was given concert variations to play at rehearsal on monday. Seems to be a really nice piece, and not all that complicated once I'd had a decent look at it.

groovy

I love "Varied Mood" by Ray Woodfield, it gorgeous! Its a euph solo, I have a recording of it by Bob Childs with the Glasgow Co-op, and I listen to it about 5 times a day!

matty1986

Varied Mood is absolutely fantastic I love playing it!!! I also like Softly As I Leave You (De Vita arr A. Catherall) (both euph solo's) and Caeildh by Rodney Newton has to be another of my fav euph solo's!

One of my fav band pieces is London Overture,top section test piece I think!!

Vickitorious

Solos: Pantomime (deffinately) Rainforest from the middle of windows of the world and Variations on a welsh theme because the slow bit is gorgeous!

Band Piece:
Richard III (does anyone know a recordong of that?!) La Boutique Fantastique, Paganini and light walk is really good!

PeterBale

Staff member
Vickitorious said:
Solos: Pantomime (deffinately) Rainforest from the middle of windows of the world and Variations on a welsh theme because the slow bit is gorgeous!

Band Piece:
Richard III (does anyone know a recordong of that?!) La Boutique Fantastique, Paganini and light walk is really good!
Edward Watson's arangement of a suite of music from William Walton's music for "Richard III" was recorded by Black Dyke on the cd "Facade", DOY CD 085.
http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21953.html

crk365

fave brass peices - wow, where do I start?
The Ruler of The Spirits
Le Roi D'Ys
The Black Domino
The Force of Destiny
Journey Into Freedom
Hymn Of The Highlands 1 - 7
the list goes on..

Getzonica

I love William Himes' arrangement of Amazing Grace, Roger Thorne's arrangement of Deep Harmony (especially the sop solo because 2nd cornets have the cue), Barnard Castle....the list goes on...