Fanfare for Europe

John Brooks

I'm wondering if Edward Gregson's "Fanfare for Europe", written in 1973 to celebrate the UK entering the EEC will be played backwards to celebrate Brexit!

Jack E

'Ode to Joy', David? The EU Empire's chosen anthem? You MUST be JOKING!!

Wikipedia describes the words of the last movement like this: "The poem has a strong message to all mankind: it is about living in peace and harmony together."

If the reports and film clips I've seen about what's going on in Euroland right now are anything to go by, there's precious little "living in peace and harmony" to be seen - many parts of it look like a battle-zone, and I think Holst's 'Mars: the God Of War' would be a more appropriate anthem for the EU than 'Ode to Joy' (though I dare say the EU's army of bureaucrats, protected by armed guards, and with their bloated salaries and lavish expenses and pensions, are joyful enough . . . )

Cynical about the 'blessings' of the EU? Me? Damn right, I am!

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
I am currently rehearsing the Mahler version of Beethoven 9 for upcoming concerts here in Germany - I did ask the MD if it was ok for me to play it!
(He said yes but only until next year!)
Although Eurovision is not an EU institution, should the Charpentier Te Deum then also be played backwards? (Not because of Brexit but due to the declining standards of the competition anyway!).

John Brooks

Although Eurovision is not an EU institution, should the Charpentier Te Deum then also be played backwards? (Not because of Brexit but due to the declining standards of the competition anyway!).
Well, maybe if the standards have deteriorated far enough, they wouldn't notice!

Product tMP members are discussing