Europeans 2004 - congratulations to YBS (again)!

johnflugel

I enjoyed the Gala Concert actually - after listening to loads of bands and being trapped in a concert for the day I wondered whether I would enjoy it.

NYBBS were excellent - I have never played under Richard Evans but his direction was great and can only think the band will like working with him. He seems to have this infectious enthusiasm which rubs off on the groups he takes.

Katrina did a terrific job - what a sound she has! It will be interesting to see where her current success takes her. On the strength of what I heard on Saturday she will be one of the baritone soloists around.

YBS were their usual brilliant self, Pete Roberts never ceases to amaze me. Their performance of 'Dundonnell' was typical of what is great about YBS. Broad and balanced full band sound and the quicker movements had amazing tightnesd and quailty of ensemble sound is breathtaking. Has there been a band better than this?

Being a self-confessed bagpipe detestor, I was wincing at the thought of the 2nd half but it worked really well. Was amusing to see Frank Renton conduct, he didn't have a great deal to do other than bring people in so he took the opportunity to have a little dance round the stand!

Results ceremony - National Anthem was a bit bizarre.....maybe Ken Downie could have played it instead (for those who were at the St Magnus talk) :wink:

PeterBale

Staff member
johnflugel said:
Katrina did a terrific job - what a sound she has! It will be interesting to see where her current success takes her. On the strength of what I heard on Saturday she will be one of the baritone soloists around.
I was also hearing great things about the young lad (13, I think :?: ) who filled in for Katrina at the rehearsals, having had the music for about 24 hours :shock:

Sounds as if there may be one or two baritone players needing to look to their laurels :wink:

GrahamF

Hi all

I think I have just recovered from the week!

Kenny, I think the aforementioned tall dark haired chap with a skill in dulcit tones played quite well!

Well done to the Co-op. I never got the chance to hear you either night but I heard it was great. Another excellent result for Scottish banding.

The young baritone players name was Matthew but I didn't get his surname. He goes to Chets and plays for Wingates but that is all I know. He was fantastic at the rehearsals for Katrina's solos. I got a chance to speak to his dad before the concert and he told me the young lad was loving every minute of it!! no doubt in my mind he will be a star in the future!!

Katrina was fantastic as always. I do agree with the guys who said Nybbs were a wee bit too loud. I was the principal of that huge nyybbs tuba section and believe me when I say I had to phone the young guy at the bottom of line to give instructions!!

A last point for the European solo contest. I was playing with Whitburn on the stage and all three soloists were fantastic. Andy King's performance of the Bourgeois Concerto must be the best second place I will ever hear! Well done to Raf - an excellent performance to win and well done Bert for a great performance as well!

Cheers

PC

[ i won't support Rangers in Europe - But hey, don't get a chance to anyway :wink:[/quote]

Always thought that you were an ugly boy but now i know why! :lol: If i ever get my Hub caps stolen at a band contest i will know that you were there!!! :wink:

Gavin

Supporting Member
johnflugel wrote:
Do you refer to my non-placement of Co-op in the top six?!? Thought the band played very well indeed, just felt the bands I placed immediately above you took a few more risks and for me, just gave them that egde...but's that's just me! Thought your playing was sublime in 'Natavity' - contender for soloist prize along with the Horn and Lucerne, David Childs & Gavin on Xylo at YBS!
Thanks very much John, i'm flattered! It's so unusual for someone to comment (in a nice way) on what we do at the back!

Gavin

PeterBale

Staff member
I can vouch for John as to what he said, and there were plenty around where I was sitting who would have been quite happy to have seen the soloist prize go to a percussionist, although I suppose there could conceivably have been a problem if they didn't know which of you had played which part :shock:

Tobin

Ha ha Bart :D

But we all know that the Rangers supporters are the ugliest fans in Europe - you can't get a season ticket unless you have some sort of deformity :wink: :wink:

Back to the topic :D

The Xylo playing with Faireys was very classy and musical, good that it is was picked up - percussion often don't get the credit they deserve - probably because their talent is taken for granted :wink:

Aidan

GrahamF said:
The young baritone players name was Matthew but I didn't get his surname. He goes to Chets and plays for Wingates but that is all I know. He was fantastic at the rehearsals for Katrina's solos. I got a chance to speak to his dad before the concert and he told me the young lad was loving every minute of it!! no doubt in my mind he will be a star in the future!!
He also comes from Bolton, home of all the best brass players ;);)

Aidan

Wutburn said:
What did people think of NYBBS? Did Horra Staccato come across? I'd like to hear some views please. :D
We were just off stage peering through curtains and doors at everone.. The Hora cornets sounded very good from there. (stage left cornets anyway :))