European Solo Competition

weemarky

does any1 no anything about who got thru the 1st round yesterday? the second round should be going on just now. would b there but im stuck at skool. lucky me.

thanx 2 any1 that nos

weemarky

wewizrobbed

hey mark

the ones I remember are Andy King, Richard Brown and Peter Collins from England. I think all the Belgians got through as well and the two german trombone players :? 16 from the 28 qualified though.

Moy

2nd Round - The Qualifiers for Semi-Finals

Raf Van Looveren Belgium Cornet - 98pts
Bert Van Thienen Belgium Cornet Eb - 97pts
Nàndor Nèmeti Germany Bass Trombone - 96pts
Andrew King England Tenor Trombone - 95pts
Andrea Matter Switzerland Horn Eb - 94pts
Nick Ost Belgium Euphonium - 93pts
Thomas Andersen Norway Tuba - 92pts
Johannes Kronfeld Germany Tenor Trombone - 91pts

Courtesy of 4barsrest - http://4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2067

Razor

Heard some of the solo competition yesterday. Of those that I heard 4 players stood out for me......

Raf Van Looveren - Cornet

Nàndor Nèmeti - Bass Trombone

Andrew King - Tenor Trombone

Nick Ost - Euphonium

My money's on Andrew King!

Hoping the Bass Trombonist gets through to the final so that I can hear Bill Gordon's 'Spirituals for Bass Trombone and Band' in the concert tomorrow night.

Moy

Have heard that Andrew played well today in Glasgow and is through to the last 3.
Well done Andy and good luck. :wink:

edited 'cause spelling was cr** :wink:

eckyboy

Well done to all the guys and gals from Scotland,it was a very hard field and there is no shame--better luck next year.

Moy

I know it's Andrew King and I am pretty sure its a sop and a Bb Cornet to make up the 3 for the final.

Moy

Did you here them as I heard young Mr King played a stormer?
Although I did hear the other 2 were quite brill as well.

McChambo

Heard the 3 finalists last night. They all sounded very good indeed. It should be very close between the three of them.

I will be completely biased and say my money's on Raf.

Scotty

So it's Andy, Raf and his Sop player buddy! God that will be close, they are three awesome players and i wouldn't like to be judging! Good luck to them all!

KennyC

McChambo said:
Heard the 3 finalists last night. They all sounded very good indeed. It should be very close between the three of them.

I will be completely biased and say my money's on Raf.

I think it will be extremely difficult to pick a winner from those three. They were all fantastic last night, but each with different qualities. Three completely different styles of music as well. Pity about the tuba player pulling out. I was looking forward to playing that fantastically lyrical piece too :evil:

Kenny - Whitburn Band

McChambo

The tuba player must have withdrawn due to an 'astronomical anxiety'. Maybe he got the reading of his horoscope mixed up with the synopsis of that papophony.

I can't get the tuba piece out of my head. I was whistling the tune all last night. I think it is something that we should be playing at Whitburn Gala Day this year. :wink: The prophecy at the end of the piece certainly will come true if we play it again! :evil:

Moy

Hey that was quick and you had a rehearsal tonight with my good pal. :wink:
Disappointed for Andrew King but well done to all the soloists. I have been told that the last 8 were all quite superb players.