European Brass Band Championship - Your predictions?

European BB Championships - Who will win?

• Total voters

BFN

Cory 196 (98/98 )
YBS 196 (97/99)
Stavanger (95/96)
Faireys (96/94)
Willebroek (93/95)
Scottish Co-op (94/90)

No idea really about the points (except for the first 2) - though I am convinced this will be Cory's year, and that in October YBS will qualify again (but without winning the Nationals, because they won't do that til I'm playing for them.[yeah - whatever]...), and will start a new winning streak. I'm telling you...

BFN

ted said:
One only has to go back to 1999 to see a Dutch band come second by 1 point so Dutch banding is also not to be underestimated.
And what about 2002, when Dyke cam ethird to Willebroek? Gonna be some contest...

tim

I think it might not be that no one can touch YBS i htink no one can truly touch Dave King at the europeans! When hes conducting these longer pieces that really suit him hes phenomenal. No detail is ever spared!!!

jim

Cory won it in 1980 with the band that many regard as 'the proper Cory' with the likes of Jeff Thomas (flugal) Jim Davies (princ cornet) Graham Sheppard (Bb Bass) Howard Jones (Rep) to name but a few, but it could well be there year this year and if so it means that to welsh bands will compete next year the first time in many years, one thing you can be asure of Dr Childs will have them fired up.

PC

I am supporting the band from Denmark because having played in last years contest in Norway with Kirkie all i can say is they have the best looking band in Europe!!! :lol: :wink:

iggmeister

My prediction is a bit similar to standstudent's

1. Cory
2. YBS
3. Stavanger
4. Fairey
5. Co-Op
6. Willebroek

Nice to see Willebroek have got some less offensive waistcoats now, (pic in BB)! Open adjudication would have done them no favours at all previously :wink:

Igg

Prediction for European

It has to be difficult predicting the winner as it often depends on the character of testpiece used. In the Euros it is noticeable and obvious that every band plays to their strengths. I'm especially thinking of Cory's performance of Revelation last year. A revelation it certainly was.
Considering that, I'm thinking wouldn't it be an idea to dispense with the set test and own choice format, as the set test will give some bands an advantage if the style of the piece suits them. Maybe it could be plausible to give bands a list of 3/4 pieces to choose from from which they select the piece they feel best shows off their strengths. This format could also be used at other contests.
I would guess that it would also make for a more intersesting contest for Joe Public.
I've gone way off track now.
Prediction:-
1. Cory
2/3/4/5/6..... Is there anybody else competing?

That idea probably works in theory but realistically you have to have some sort of standard playing field to work from in a competition of such high calibre.

It's also good to use the contest as a vehicle for new and changing music in the form of commissions.

I think taking the test away would very much detract from the competition rather than make it more interesting and exciting.

I think a european not so long ago (can't remember the year) had bands such as YBS and Cory pitted against the other europeans, the brits playing pieces of the calibre of Revelation, Dove Descending, Concerto Grosso etc. and one band had up Spectrum!

Got to have a benchmark!!

drummerboy

Re: Prediction for European

choirmaster said:
I've gone way off track now.
Prediction:-
1. Cory
2/3/4/5/6..... Is there anybody else competing?
Er, a certain band from Yorkshire maybe? Fine, make your predictions, but don't rule them out!!!! :)

nickjones

ok John I will explain my thoughts ( again )
this is the European not the area ( I have a few mates who play for cory and I would like a Welsh Band to win the European ) , there are a few factors why YBS will retain the euro title , who knows what will happen , I am not plucking the names of bands at random , It is my opinion ( as yours was to put cory 1st )
so you have to take into account the following........
2 tests over the weekend...which has suited YBS and Faireys in the past
Conductors and teams who have won the competition before...Dave King and Allan Withington , and Frans Violet.
Fatigue and distance travelled to a competition...the last time I looked on the map , Huddersfield was a lot closer to Glasgow than Treorchy
and many other factors.

since 1996 YBS have consistanly performed at the European , and am sure would love to get 6 on the trot...
faireys are the BRITISH national champions , and will have a point to prove after last year.
Stavanger are a great band , and you have to be a very good band to beat Eikanger at the Norwiegan Nationals , also have a great MD in Steve Bastable.
Wilebroek...as I have pointed out before , have the Md and band who have won the european before.
Co-Op Glasgow... Nick Childs , Alex Kerwin , Jim Heyes etc....home advantage?????
I find it quite sad that you are directing these comments towards me , why have you not put a comment to the other people who rank YBS and Faireys to win? ( and there are a few ).

Scotty

1. Ybs
2. cory
3. Stavanger
4. Fairey
5. Willebroek
6. Coop

Can't see past YBS although Cory will be pushing hard after last year and Stavanger will take a couple of scalps they are awesome. Lets hope the Co can do Scotland proud and get in the top six.

GrahamF

1. YBS
2. Cory
3. Fairey
4. Willebroek
5. Scottish Co-op
6. Stavanger

YBS are just great - can't see past them!

johnflugel

nickjbeaumarisband said:
this is the European not the area ( I have a few mates who play for cory and I would like a Welsh Band to win the European ) , there are a few factors why YBS will retain the euro title , who knows what will happen , I am not plucking the names of bands at random , It is my opinion ( as yours was to put cory 1st )
Conductors and teams who have won the competition before...Dave King and Allan Withington , and Frans Violet.
Fatigue and distance travelled to a competition...the last time I looked on the map , Huddersfield was a lot closer to Glasgow than Treorchy
and many other factors.

since 1996 YBS have consistanly performed at the European , and am sure would love to get 6 on the trot...
faireys are the BRITISH national champions , and will have a point to prove after last year.
Stavanger are a great band , and you have to be a very good band to beat Eikanger at the Norwiegan Nationals , also have a great MD in Steve Bastable.
Wilebroek...as I have pointed out before , have the Md and band who have won the european before.
Co-Op Glasgow... Nick Childs , Alex Kerwin , Jim Heyes etc....home advantage?????
I find it quite sad that you are directing these comments towards me , why have you not put a comment to the other people who rank YBS and Faireys to win? ( and there are a few ).
Just a few things before I leave this alone - sure others are getting bored:

First of all, I am not saying that people who don't predict Cory to win are wrong - how can i do that? I actually think YBS are the best band around by some distance at present. The reason I have the feeling for Cory is because they have gone so close on the two occasions they have attended recently. How many times have YBS turned in an awesome, acclaimed performance only for it not find favour with the judges? Their 1998 Blitz was a classic example. It can just as easily happen again. I actually want YBS to win and would love to see Faireys up there as the other English representative

Also claiming that the two piece system will suit Faireys and YBS in particular is wide of the mark, particularly as Faireys have not gone to the European for a number of years now. Also, you suggest that Willebroek are in better stead than Cory because they won it in 1993? By this rule, place your bets on Blackburn to win the Premiership next season :?: :!: I am not 'blowing Cory's trumpet' but they were equal on points with YBS last year..not my opinion or guesswork...that is fact.

The point of my messages to you is not to say you are wrong. I just thought it a little fishy that after your obvious displeasure and disagrement you expressed in TMp after being beaten into 4th place at your area, I thought it questionable that you choose to omit Cory from the top six. Whether you like Corys's style or approach or not you cannot disagree that they have to be classed as one of the favourites, as the majority of people on this thread seem to be suggesting

As for the travel, we may as well declare Co-op champions now if that is such a major factor!!!

nickjones

well thanks for that John....you have converted me...come on CORY...Win it for Wales , I shouldnt be so rude as to support another band... :shock:
I think it is A FACTOR not the only factor , but anyone who has to travel over 4 hours to a competition can be affected by fatigue.
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH ME THINKING YBS AND FAIREYS WILL DO WELL?
Still stand by my thoughts...YBS , FAIREYS , CO-OP , STAVANGER...I could be wrong , so what If I am....not going to lose any sleep over it John..
Like I've said , Assumtion is the mother of all mess ups!!!!
Also this is the European Championchips , not the area contest or the Premiership....the area has been and gone , I've got over it..
it's ok John I forgive you , you can buy me a coke in the Grand Shield

BBBfYBS

Nick, can i just say that what you are saying about travel fatigue isnt really a good enough excuse to rule out any band. If you look into it i think youll find Cory will be going to Glasgow on thursday night having a restful evening in the hotel, and Fairies are traveling up on the day of the contest. So if you go off what you say you should probably change your mind to someone else other than fairies as one of you faves.

johnflugel

Nick

I give up.

You are a good lad and I like some of your posts on here but your last post proves that you don't really read or fully understand what I am saying. As for some of your comments about 'getting over' the area are highly irrelevant. We came 6th in the Yorkshire area behind 4 top ten world ranked bands...nothing to get over there. Also, Why would I want to contact the moderators, you have said nothing abusive or out of turn. Hope you enjoy the contest if you are going.

Hope everyone enjoys the European - I will be rooting for YBS as the Yorkshire band and my favourite outfit to listen to - hope they win. Best wishes to all the other British bands. From overseas, I cannot wait to hear Stavanger and Willebroek because they are class acts. Hope the latter use 6 tubas again, it sounded immense last year!

Play well Kerwintootle, Nadia and other Euro TMps reps!

nickjbeaumarisband said:
and many other factors.

I am a die-hard Dave King/YBS fan, let me make that clear.

But nick you aren't reading what people have to say in an honest manner and your comments seem very foolish and almost put forward in a way that says you are looking for a fight. Quit the irrelevant, uninformed dribble and just enjoy the contest!!

I think you'll find there will be a few very interesting suprises at this years contest...

I feel terribly sorry for you if Cory do pull off a victory come the weekend - You've set yourself up for an almighty fall!

(Just an honest opinion from a very keen YBS fan)