European Brass Band Championship - Your predictions?

European BB Championships - Who will win?

• Total voters

johnflugel

nickjbeaumarisband said:
No I dont think any Welsh Band has the quality of sound to win the european at the moment....overblowing and harsh playing aside.

But they do have the ability to come 2nd at the European twice at two attempts, win the Open twice and the Nationals, as well as your area on a number of occasions........hmmmmm

(Edit: quote fixed, PB, Mod)

yr_epa

Its gonna be very close this year for sure:-

1. YBS - 96 (Set Piece) & 97 (Own Choice) Total = 193 pts
2. Faireys - 97 (Set Piece) & 95 (Own Choice) Total = 192 pts
3. Cory - 95 (Set Piece) & 97 (Own Choice) Total = 192 pts
4. Stavanger - 94 (Set Piece) & 98 (Own Choice) Total = 192 pts
5. Co-op - 92 (Set Piece) & 94 (Own Choice) Total = 186 pts
6. Willebrook - 92 (Set Piece) & 92 (Own Choice) Total = 184 pts

Faireys 2nd due to higher mark on the Set Piece
Stavanger = Own Choice Winners

Soloist Award = Morgan Griffiths (Faireys) or Stuart Lingard (YBS)

Gone for YBS due to two friends playing with them.

nickjones

yes exactly they have not won it , and lack the quality of sound which YBS and Faireys have. I think you need a bit more to win the european than a good euph player and overblowing . On current form YBS and Faireys have to be considered as the teams to beat , I dont think a 3rd at the Royal Albert Hall or 6th at the Open and a 1st at the Area can be a marker. I dont know if you were Swansea , maybe you should listen to them live?
good Luck to Big Gav , Dewi G , Iwan Williams...and all the lads and ladies at YBS

johnflugel

ok, so they they haven't won it recently but you saying they are not top six material?!?!? They actually drew with YBS last year but lost out because YBS received more points on the set test. That proves that six experienced judges could not seperate them.

Plus, I would agree that they can overcook stuff on occasions but noone can deny their brilliant team of soloists and strength in depth. They have been as consistent as anyone on the contest stage since 2000 so on that basis to rule them out of the top six for Glasgow might be wide of the mark.

If they were English and had not beaten you consistently, would you have them in the top ix?

Enough from me

Ozzie Cornet

My first post so i'm going out on a limb.....

1. YBS (how can a band have such a sound and not win?)
2. Cory (same. Revelations last year still gives me chills)
3. Faireys (they have the ability but not the edge they need)
4. Stavanger (they have the history with beating Eikanger so why not here too)
5. Willebroek (kind of a Dark Horse really but maybe......)

This is the contest YBS have made their own and they are on song after the Yorkshire Area but no band is infalable......... they have the ability to do it again and they are my faves so lets just wait and see.

Andrew

PeterBale

Staff member
Very hard one to call - can we post again once the Own Choice selections are settled?

Here goes, anyway:

YBS
Cory
Stavanger
Willebroek
Scottish Co-op
Faireys

nickjones

Well John...
Cory are not an English Band they are representing Welsh Banding , I have always been taught dont overcook it , play with a round , focused dynamic sound. ( from Bob childs, Edward Gregson , Steve Sykes , James Gourley , Jim Watson , Frank Renton , Matt Routley etc...on the NYBBW ) , I have played and guested with some very fine bands.I know what a quality band sounds like, I happen to think that YBS and Faireys are great bands ( they wouldnt be British Open, European and National Champs if they wernt)
by the sounds of it you are quite a cory fan ( with players like Carl Saunders , Dave Childs , Jo Deane ) who could not be impressed. sorry if my remarks sounded like cory are a one dimentional band. that was not the intention.
I think the Fairey Band as current British National Champions and YBS as current European Championchips are the teams to beat .
Really John , you dont know me I am as entitled as you to have an opinion.

1.) YBS - 97 (test) 98 (own choice) = 195
2.) Faireys - 98 (test) 96 (own choice) = 194
3.) Cory - 96 (test) 96 (own choice) = 192
4.) Stavanger - 95 (test) 96 (own choice) = 191
5.) Willebrook - 94 (test) 95 (own choice) = 189
6.) Scottish Co-Op - 92 (test) 95 (own choice) = 188

Soloist's Prize - Morgan Griffiths (my guess on revelation)

I think that YBS are the form band of the decade and close to, but never unbeatable at this contest. The score of St. Magnus indicates that the composer (not suprisingly - being a writer of his calibre) has taken the time to weave detail and intricacy into the 'plot' of his comission. This further pushes YBS's chances forward in my opinion, because absolutely no one is even close to matching David King's ability to peel back the musical layers and draw every last ounce of atmosphere and style from a piece of music.

Morgan Griffiths is far and above the best contest player around at the moment and chances are he'll be showing us his stuff on a Wilby so there will be plenty of that glorius sound and style for us to hear.

....Aslo I'm tipping YBS to do montage, Cory on Dove Descending, Willebrook on Revelation, Stavanger Dove Descending, Co-Op Montage

The guess at own choices is purely based on what pieces I would like to hear individual players within bands doing...

johnflugel

nickjbeaumarisband said:
Well John...

by the sounds of it you are quite a cory fan
Really John , you dont know me I am as entitled as you to have an opinion.

No I am not of Cory fan as such, even if I don't like a rendition or approach on occasions it does not mean I cannot appreciate their abilities. I am actually rooting for YBS with them being the a Yorkshire band and I love the performances that Prof King brings out of them. I will be taking a real interest in Stavanger and Willebroek, both of whom could hold their own at the top of UK Banding and produce great performances. Willebroek's 'Dove' last year was immense.

Nick, of course you are entitled to your opinion. The only thing I would question I would raise is your motives for not placing Cory in the top six. Especially with your long and loud protests about the area result and how you felt you were badly done to. Predictions are not who you want in the in the top six, but who you think will actually come in the top six. A good example: I would love Millwall to stuff the Mancs at Cardiff, but as a realist I cannot see it happening. Hope Mr Wise's boys prove me wrong!

Andy_Euph

1.YBS
2.Cory
3.Willebroek
4.Faireys
5.Stavanger
6.Scottish Coop

I honestly think that YBS will walk it... after all it is there contest ( don't think they've been outside the top 2 in ages)

tim

1 YBS
2 Cory
3 Fairey FP
4 Scottish Coop
5 Brass Band Berner oberland (wotever there new name is)
6 Willbebrok

Id like to see someone else win this just for a change but if David King can pull of a performance he is capable of it will be fantastic listening for those of you going up to listen and fantastic listenin for those of us who have to get the cd!

drummerboy

PeterBale said:
YBS
Cory
Stavanger
Willebroek
Scottish Co-op
Faireys

I'll go with that. I completely agree with the comment about Cory overblowing. Bob Childs has moulded them into a technically proficient ensemble, with some outstanding players (his son for example), but I don't think they have the edge to win. I personally think they do overblow at times, and however many times I watch Revelation on the DVD from last year, I still can't hear the opening cleanly, and it has quite a few slips and splits in for my liking for a band to win.
Who knows though? Stavanger have got Steve Bastable conducting them, and with David King having won their Nationals, could they get second place?

DublinBass

Supporting Member
yr_epa said:
Its gonna be very close this year for sure:-

1. YBS - 96 (Set Piece) & 97 (Own Choice) Total = 193 pts
2. Faireys - 97 (Set Piece) & 95 (Own Choice) Total = 192 pts
3. Cory - 95 (Set Piece) & 97 (Own Choice) Total = 192 pts
4. Stavanger - 94 (Set Piece) & 98 (Own Choice) Total = 192 pts
5. Co-op - 92 (Set Piece) & 94 (Own Choice) Total = 186 pts
6. Willebrook - 92 (Set Piece) & 92 (Own Choice) Total = 184 pts

Faireys 2nd due to higher mark on the Set Piece
Stavanger = Own Choice Winners
quote]

I agree. I think Stavanger will be the olnly thorn in the side of the British as far as the top 5 go.

Faireys won't win since they're not playing Masquerade :wink:

midwalesman

Euros!!

Looking at the rtrack record in the competition it's hard to look past YBS, but Cory were unbeliveably unlucky last year and as a patriotic Welshman I do want them to win or at the very least come second (Best wishes to Mr Roberts on Rep!) Although having said that there a fair few Welsh lads in YBS and so I hope they do well as well. Ohh yeah, and I hope Fairies do well because my housemate currently plays for them...hmm...this is getting difficult, and I hope Co-op come near the top too or Luce won't ever talk to me again!

At the end of the day I hope all the bands do well and that it will be a great contest.

AJR

Only one winner for me! There's not a band on the planet to touch YBS just now.

1. YBS 194pts
2. Fairey 192
3. Co-op 189
4. Cory 188
5. Stavanger 185
6. Willebroek 183

Just an honest opinion!!

geordiecolin

Re: Euros!!

midwalesman said:
Looking at the rtrack record in the competition it's hard to look past YBS, but Cory were unbeliveably unlucky last year and as a patriotic Welshman I do want them to win or at the very least come second (Best wishes to Mr Roberts on Rep!) Although having said that there a fair few Welsh lads in YBS and so I hope they do well as well. Ohh yeah, and I hope Fairies do well because my housemate currently plays for them...hmm...this is getting difficult, and I hope Co-op come near the top too or Luce won't ever talk to me again!

At the end of the day I hope all the bands do well and that it will be a great contest.

Thats a mighty fine fence you're sitting on there Richard!!

As for me, can't see past YBS to be honest, reckon they're well up for a clean sweep of the contest season this year. Faireys may have a point to prove post-area and Cory will probably be the "wildcard" as it were.

1. YBS
2. Fairey's
3. Stavanger
4. Cory
5. Scottish Co-Op

ted

I don't think I would be suprised if the trophy was won by any of the seven or eight bands that keep getting mentioned.

Sure, YBS have won many times before so they deserve to be the odds on favourites. One cannot underestimate Cory who equalled them on points last year. For the last year Faireys have been ranked as the top band in the world (4BR Rankings) so they will also feature in the results (and previous results have shown that they do well at the Euros). How often does Co-op lose on home soil? Willebroek's record speaks for themselves. Can anyone write off any Norwegian champion bands? One only has to go back to 1999 to see a Dutch band come second by 1 point so Dutch banding is also not to be underestimated.

Finally, let me point out an interesting fact.
1992: Chaos in Cardiff (read about it in link below)
6 years later
1998: Blitz
6 years later
2004: ???

I think we're due for a shock of some kind!
(First Old Boys SeaCat Silver Band over YBS by half a point!)

Ted

http://www.4barsrest.com/results/europeans/results_90s.asp

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.